Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

B&H Photo today has Apple's previous generation 32GB Apple TV 4K for $119.95, down from $179.00. This sale will last one day only, and expires later tonight.

2017-apple-tv.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

B&H Photo's deal is a match of the all-time best price on the 2017 model of the Apple TV 4K. This is the model that comes with the older Siri Remote model as well.

The big external difference between the 2017 and 2021 Apple TV 4K is the Siri Remote. Internally, the 2021 model has support for high frame rate 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content, as well as an upgraded A12 Bionic chip and eARC support.

The 2017 model is still a solid streaming device, and for those willing to invest in an older model, today's record low price is a great time to do so. Otherwise, the best deal on the 2021 32GB Apple TV 4K will be $169.00 at Amazon ($10 off).

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: B&H Photo Discounts Previous Generation 32GB Apple TV 4K to $119.95 ($59 Off)

keco185

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2021
Lol $59 is the exact price of the new remote. And since that's the only meaningful difference between the generations...

Reactions: LiveM

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Dang...when was the walmart deal? Already gone I'm sure.

And aside from the remote, the newer unit also offers eARC support that the older 4k unit does not have, correct?

Reactions: Chung123

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
Still can’t beat the directv now 3 months of service and an Apple TV 4K for $105! I bought one for every TV at my house. Even the one outside. Still going strong.
Same here. Still hate the remote but still use the Apple TV more than I do the Osprey box that DTVN sent me to beta test. I tested (and still have) two Osprey model remotes, and both blow away the Apple TV remote.

That was a sweetheart deal, the likes of which we'll probably never see again.

weezy83

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
Still can’t beat the directv now 3 months of service and an Apple TV 4K for $105! I bought one for every TV at my house. Even the one outside. Still going strong.
Truly the greatest deal ever. I never cancelled and I'm now paying $100 a month JUST for the service itself. I'd have been long gone by now if I wasn't splitting it with other households who all watch just enough to justify the portioned cost.

• Wow
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It's worth it to pay more to get the new remote. The old remote will degrade your quality of life and might even make you wonder if it is still worth living.
Funny, I feel the same about the new remote! I bought 2 and returned one because it was more frustrating to work with than the original. I kept one because it has the mute button. That's it's only saving grace. The dumb round touch pad and click wheel around it is just as over-sensitive (more so, actually) as the square touch pad on the original.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Truly the greatest deal ever. I never cancelled and I'm now paying $100 a month JUST for the service itself. I'd have been long gone by now if I wasn't splitting it with other households who all watch just enough to justify the portioned cost.
Like others, the $79 Walmart deal was better in my opinion. No service required. I think most people didn't even use the DTV 3 months of service, they just paid $105 for the ATV.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Anyone try gaming on an Apple TV 4K?

I have a 1080p version and it’s really impressive! Like an Xbox 360 or a PS3.

cashboxz02

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
Apple TV (or any streaming box) is not worth it if you own a premium TV, as all major apps such as YouTube and Plex have the same UI as Apple TV across all platforms. LG WebOS is actually better with its magic remote and built-in web browser. Most smart TV's also support Airplay 2.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Apple TV (or any streaming box) is not worth it if you own a premium TV, as all major apps such as YouTube and Plex have the same UI as Apple TV across all platforms. LG WebOS is actually better with its magic remote and built-in web browser. Most smart TV's also support Airplay 2.

I agree. If you have a Smart TV, or a Fire HD, or even a Roku, you basically have an Apple TV. :)

cashboxz02

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017

The game quality is not even close to those systems. If you want gaming, you could easily buy one of those systems under $100 anyway. Most smart TV's already have all the other features including airplay. Don't know who the Apple TV is really meant for anymore.

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
The game quality is not even close to those systems. If you want gaming, you could easily buy one of those systems under $100 anyway. Most smart TV's already have all the other features including airplay. Don't know who the Apple TV is really meant for anymore.

Apple TV does have a bunch of games by Sega and SquareEnix. The first time I played Sonic CD (Sega CD, Windows, 1993) was on Apple TV.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I played a few games on the ATV 4K, mostly to test to see of an Xbox controller worked well on it. It did. But then I stopped.

The games on the platform are just TV-sized versions of mobile games, which almost universally suck.

If anyone knows of any exceptions, please speak up!

Last edited:
Reactions: newbmacuser2021

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Complete BS.
1: All major "premium TVs" don't use same OS, you have Android, Webos and Tizen.
2: If you've followed these kinds of threads here and else where, you will find some people who "own a premium TV" are not happy with response times on the OS.
3: This is an anecdote, some people prefer the Apple TV interface.
4: For whatever reason some people don't feel comfortable typing in their info for the smart TV.
5: Lastly, and this is minor, Netflix on Apple TV is gimped.
It is missing the Play something on the left side menu
It is missing the New and Popular with the crooked arrow icon.

The New item option on the left side menu on Apple TV operates slightly different than on Roku or Tizen TV.

Edit: the New menu item on Netflix on Apple TV is also gimped. You don't get the new items you see on a Tizen OS TV or Roku. Also you can't set reminders on Netflix on Apple TV, (unless I'm missing something).

Last edited:

cashboxz02

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
Complete BS.
1: All major "premium TVs" don't use same OS, you have Android, Webos and Tizen.
2: If you've followed these kinds of threads here and else where, you will find some people who "own a premium TV" are not happy with response times on the OS.
3: This is an anecdote, some people prefer the Apple TV interface.
4: For whatever reason some people don't feel comfortable typing in their info for the smart TV.
5: Lastly, and this is minor, Netflix on Apple TV is gimped.
It is missing the Play something on the left side menu
It is missing the New and Popular with the crooked arrow icon.

The New item option on the left side menu on Apple TV operates slightly different than on Roku or Tizen TV.

Edit: the New menu item on Netflix on Apple TV is also gimped. You don't get the new items you see on a Tizen OS TV or Roku. Also you can't set reminders on Netflix on Apple TV, (unless I'm missing something).
The issues you bring up are valid for TV's made 4 or 5 years ago...but definitely not for any recent TV. The interface for the 2 most popular smart tv apps, Plex and YouTube, is literally the same across all platforms. There's virtually no lag on webOS (or Tizen if you disable ads). Even if you own an older TV which lags and doesn't provide support for latest codecs, you can buy a 4k fire stick when its on sale, which costs 1/5-1/7 the price of an Apple TV.

I own 2 Apple TV's in my house, as well as 2 fire sticks for non-smart TV's, as well as a webOS TV and a Tizen TV...I know what I'm talking about.

Unless if you use Apple Arcade or are insistent on QuickTime video streaming from your computer, buying an Apple TV is a huge waste of money.

Sorry bud, but even if you're a diehard Apple fan, you gotta be willing to accept that some stuff Apple does is just a cash grab.

ohernan6

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Torrance, CA
The issues you bring up are valid for TV's made 4 or 5 years ago...but definitely not for any recent TV. The interface for the 2 most popular smart tv apps, Plex and YouTube, is literally the same across all platforms. There's virtually no lag on webOS (or Tizen if you disable ads). Even if you own an older TV which lags and doesn't provide support for latest codecs, you can buy a 4k fire stick when its on sale, which costs 1/5-1/7 the price of an Apple TV.

I own 2 Apple TV's in my house, as well as 2 fire sticks for non-smart TV's, as well as a webOS TV and a Tizen TV...I know what I'm talking about.

Unless if you use Apple Arcade or are insistent on QuickTime video streaming from your computer, buying an Apple TV is a huge waste of money.

Sorry bud, but even if you're a diehard Apple fan, you gotta be willing to accept that some stuff Apple does is just a cash grab.
I think you're basically paying for speed if you get an Apple TV. My Samsung's Smart TV interface is fine, but no where near as fast. And having to fast forward an hour is wayyyy easier and faster. But it's a lot of money for the perks. lol

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Your experience on Webos or Tizen is anecdotal. Just like the people who say they experience lag.
Also, to say the 2 most popular apps are Plex and Youtube would mean you have some proof to back that up.
What about Netflix, Disney Plus or Hulu? Plex is a niche item at best.
I'll give you Youtube for argument sake, however my post didn't attempt to say the are not the same.
Netflix was mentioned as proof that not all Apps have same interface as original OP said.
And that is still true. Have you found that to be otherwise?
Also true for Tubi, which is slightly different on Apple TV than on Tizen.
Now that you mention disabling Adds, it refutes your own claim about lag.
No 4k stick works as smooth as Apple TV interface.
However if your happy 4k sticks more power to you.
I'm not trying to sell you or anyone on Apple TV, it just pointing out some counter arguments.

Waste of money is subjective, if you have the cash to spend and it meaningless for you to do so, whats the waste if you enjoy using it?

Maybe you don't make enough to fall into that category.

Edit:
Incidentally, is this still true?
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/3/10/22323790/lg-oled-tv-commercials-content-store]I guess I have to watch ads everywhere on my $1,500 LG TV now[/URL]

No pop up Adds on Apple TV

Last edited:
Reactions: stx66 and Jus711

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Disagree completely I have an LG OLED, I hate the remote, the OS is horrid and there’s a lot of streaming apps not available for the WebOS platform, and they don’t get updates as often. Not to mention the fact that the video processing in the  TV is far better than any built in tv suite.

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
Funny, I feel the same about the new remote! I bought 2 and returned one because it was more frustrating to work with than the original. I kept one because it has the mute button. That's it's only saving grace. The dumb round touch pad and click wheel around it is just as over-sensitive (more so, actually) as the square touch pad on the original.
I never use their remote. I use the AUX on my Dish remote, programmed with more direct buttons than Apple’s minimalist garbage. Works great with our ATV 4k.

And on our super cheap non-smart TV, the tv remote itself automaticly controls the Apple TV HD through HDMI I guess because we never even set that up. I use the dish remote in there too which I programmed using the Apple TV settings, but my wife prefers the TV remote and both work at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.