Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Deals: Cellular Carriers Introduce First Offers on Apple Watch Series 6 and SE

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE today, cellular carriers have now introduced special offers for these new wearable devices.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Starting with AT&T, if you buy one Apple Watch Series 3, Series 4, Series 5, Series 6, or SE, you can get $200 off a second model. Both models will have to be purchased on qualifying installment plans, and the offer requires a new line to be added to the account.

At Verizon, you can get $100 off an Apple Watch Series 6 or SE with an eligible trade in of an Apple Watch Series 3, Galaxy Watch, Gear S3 or S2, and Galaxy Watch Active or Active 2. After this, you'll get $100 credited to your account over 24 months.

Verizon is also offering $100 off the latest Apple Watch models when purchasing an iPhone. You'll have to add both devices to your cart and add them onto eligible monthly device plans, activate the Apple Watch or iPhone on a new line of service, and receive the promo credit over 24 months.

T-Mobile's offer is similar to AT&T, with a few differences. You'll have to join T-Mobile and purchase a new Apple Watch Series 6 or SE on an eligible plan (Series 3-5 also qualify). Then when you buy a second new Apple Watch of equal or lesser value and add two total qualifying lines, you'll get $200 in bill credits.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Cellular Carriers Introduce First Offers on Apple Watch Series 6 and SE

JM

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2014
I love deals and sales.... But carriers aren't really giving any sort of "deal" when they require a new line of service, or require an upgrade, especially when that "deal" is spread out in payment credits over 2 years.

On the one hand, it sucks; but on the other hand, it returns more to the idea that Apple's products don't lose their value and are not subject to "sales sales sales!" all the time like some other brands. (I'm still floored that the apple watch 5 was discounted $100 a few months ago.)

I mean come on... ****ing BILL CREDITS??? Yay for circumventing the idea of separating the phone purchase from the plan purchase.

Gabebear

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
$100 trade-in isn’t great for a lot of people. Apple is giving me $95 trade-in for my Series-3 cellular Apple Watch in the regular store.

Reactions: Jobu2u and zacpme

StuBeck

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
ATT offer has been active for at least a month on S3 and S5. Only a $50 discount on either of these watches at the moment, but if you're okay with an S3 and need cellular its a decent price.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
Three UK still don't support Apple Watch, so I think I'm going to have to switch to EE. It's a shame because Three have been great.

Reactions: JSRinUK and Jobu2u

pugxiwawa

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
$100 trade-in isn’t great for a lot of people. Apple is giving me $95 trade-in for my Series-3 cellular Apple Watch in the regular store.
Exactly this. It's a TERRIBLE deal considering Verizon is spreading $100 credit to over 24 month (and once you disconnect the line credit goes away). I'm trading my S3 to Apple directly.

Reactions: Jobu2u and zacpme

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
The access fee is where I really want carriers to compete. For me, personally, an Apple Watch with a cellular radio would be useful once or twice per month. I'm not going to pay $10-$15/month for that.

this

tacking on "fees" to make the cost of access double what it was supposed to be

they will burn in hell

Johnny907

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
The problem with these "deals" is they aren't actually a deal. You have to open a new line for most of them, and the money back comes in the form of a credit that is applied to your bill over the course of two years. That's a hard pass for me. I buy my phones on installment plans then pay them off immediately because I'll be ***** if AT&T is going to hold anything over me. If I decide to jump ship to T-Mo tomorrow it's good to know I absolutely can and nothing is stopping me.

Reactions: Jobu2u

Johnny907

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
this

they will burn in hell
So don't get the cellular model? I use my cellular Series 4 daily, more so than my phone sometimes in terms of talk time. I can leave my phone at home when I'm jogging, biking, heading to the gym or even the store really quick without being out of touch (I have small kids and work requires me to be in reach) It's a convenience that is worth that monthly access fee frankly. But that's me. If it isn't for you then like I said, get the GPS version.

Morgon

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
The access fee is where I really want carriers to compete. For me, personally, an Apple Watch with a cellular radio would be useful once or twice per month. I'm not going to pay $10-$15/month for that.

Came to say the exact same thing; "deals" are only as useful as the service it's connected to.

ikramerica

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Spectrum mobile? It’s been too long. They can’t seem to figure out the simulring feature needed to make watch work.

Last edited:

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I would just be happy if carriers were prepared for the launch. Verizon won't let me set it up; says it's not supported. Sigh. This is the THIRD year in a row I've had to call in to get everything working correctly.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
So don't get the cellular model? I use my cellular Series 4 daily, more so than my phone sometimes in terms of talk time. I can leave my phone at home when I'm jogging, biking, heading to the gym or even the store really quick without being out of touch (I have small kids and work requires me to be in reach) It's a convenience that is worth that monthly access fee frankly. But that's me. If it isn't for you then like I said, get the GPS version.

Is there a data cap or plan for this? or is it unlimited?

ikramerica

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
I would just be happy if carriers were prepared for the launch. Verizon won't let me set it up; says it's not supported. Sigh. This is the THIRD year in a row I've had to call in to get everything working correctly.
Problem is that Apple can’t give carriers any notice because employees leak everything when they do. Partners can’t bd trusted with product information.

Deimo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
this

they will burn in hell
Exactly... at $5/month I'd sign up in a heartbeat, but AT&T was over $16 after fees which was a dealbreaker and I've just upgraded to a wifi only series 6.

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
I really wish Mint Mobile would offer an Apple Watch add-on for $5/m. I don't even want any extra data for that $5/m just the ability to share the data that I currently have and to be able to make and answer calls.

Why are cell providers and ISP's so massively overpriced in the US? Don't even get me started on the 'unlimited plan' BS that would be straight up illegal in the UK. Not too mention the regulatory fees and add-ons to your bill.

I have to say I really like Mint, $20/m for 8GB data (including 5G) with all the usual features like WiFi Calling, VoLTE, VVM. My only outstanding gripe is no Apple Watch support.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Exactly... at $5/month I'd sign up in a heartbeat, but AT&T was over $16 after fees which was a dealbreaker and I've just upgraded to a wifi only series 6.
Yep. I would jump on a true $5/mo plan for an LTE watch. But on AT&T, the real cost for me would be $15/mo. That just isn't worth it. I don't know why Apple doesn't try to make some kind of deal with carriers (like they did with AT&T way back with the original iPhone launch) so that their LTE watches are appealing to a broader audience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.