Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The HomePod mini has dropped to $79.99 on Simply Mac today, down from its original price of $99.00. This is one of the first major discounts on the HomePod mini since it launched last year, and it's in stock in both Space Gray and White at this price on Simply Mac.

homepod-mini-sale.jpg

The HomePod mini is a smaller version of the HomePod, measuring in at 3.3 inches tall compared to the HomePod's 6.8-inch height. The HomePod mini features a fabric-covered spherical design with a flat top that has a backlit touch interface interface for activating Siri and controlling music.

The only other notable deal for HomePod mini we've tracked in 2021 was a $10 sale at Expercom. Given the low entry price of the smart speaker, steep discounts have been rare, and will likely continue to be as we move into the rest of the year.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: HomePod Mini Drops to $79.99 at Simply Mac ($19 Off)

bigjay33

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
This is a really good deal. Curious to hear what your experience is with HomePod. We have Amazon Echo's around the house but looking at HomePod. I like the privacy/homekit integration but Alexa is so much better than Siri from a voice recognition/assistant. Let me know your thoughts?

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
sounds like a good deal to me. 20% off
I'd buy a couple if this was available to me in Canada

Reactions: zooby

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
I wish Apple would have come out with these sooner… I’m so deep in the Alexa ecosystem that getting these makes no sense now. Also why I won’t get anything other than a Mac or iPhone because I’m so rooted in the ecosystem.

coachingguy

Reactions: Huck

Martin Spencer

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
This is a really good deal. Curious to hear what your experience is with HomePod. We have Amazon Echo's around the house but looking at HomePod. I like the privacy/homekit integration but Alexa is so much better than Siri from a voice recognition/assistant. Let me know your thoughts?
I have Echo’s too, just bought a HomePod Mini with this great deal, can’t wait to set it up and try it out…

Reactions: bigjay33

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I have Google Home, Amazon Echo, and a HomePod. All do well recognizing what members of my household say. Alexa struggles the most though (and Google seems to have a slight edge over Siri). This could be a microphone quality issue, in part, but has been my experience over the past couple years.

Reactions: zooby and bigjay33

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I wish Apple would have come out with these sooner… I’m so deep in the Alexa ecosystem that getting these makes no sense now. Also why I won’t get anything other than a Mac or iPhone because I’m so rooted in the ecosystem.

coachingguy
I also have Alexa everywhere in the house, but the privacy continues to be a concern. In the meantime, it controls lighting and TVs, guards the house and entertains guests with music, jokes and more.
All my lighting controls are HomeKit compatible except for 3 Philips LED Bulbs and 2 LEDs Color Bulbs.

Can you add a new skill to the HomePod? I'm curious to find out what it can do, but when comparing Alexa to SIRI on my phone, Alexa seems more capable so far.

Reactions: SigEp265

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have Google Home, Amazon Echo, and a HomePod. All do well recognizing what members of my household say. Alexa struggles the most though (and Google seems to have a slight edge over Siri). This could be a microphone quality issue, in part, but has been my experience over the past couple years.
I have noticed a longer response delay with Alexa lately, but usually at certain times of the day. I hope it improves. I have used Google at a client's home, and so far I like Alexa better. I may need to try Google some more, although the privacy issue prevails with both Alexa and Google.

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
Until you can stream SXM (or other) stuff by voice natively from the device and NOT only manually via Airplay from the phone, HomePod is worthless to me. I get Cupertino's fascination w/pushing their own services but compared to Echo or Google, IMO Apple continues to be a distant third in terms of providing the functional experience most people expect from voice and 'smart' devices.

By contrast, I tell my Echo to play 'SXM Turbo' from across the room and it does it no problem.

Yes, I am aware Echos aren't as locked down or privacy-friendly as HomePods, but for this purpose the securitygeek in me thinks it's a valid tradeoff to get the functionality I want.

Reactions: DarthDon

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
HomePod mini doesn’t work well as a Mac speaker. Even though the stereo pair capability with macOS was enabled in macOS 11.3, there’s still a 2-second delay, so using them as computer speakers with live content is terrible.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
They have a 2-second delay with macOS, so you can’t use them as desktop speakers with live content on the Mac. I returned mine once 11.3 came out with the stereo pair for HomePods feature. The stereo pair feature didn’t eliminate the 2-second lag.
Live content would be something like games right? What about non-live content like videos on YouTube or Netflix?

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
I have 4 Homepods and 1 Mini. I love the Homepods. I value their sound quality much more than I care about Siri and Homekit integration. If you're willing to sacrifice some sound quality -- definitely bass capability and ability to 'fill a room' -- the Minis are actually a good value, especially at this discounted price. The only other thing I don't like about the Mini is the power supply is external. With the USB cable attached it looks a bit big and clunky sticking out of a wall socket.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Until you can stream SXM (or other) stuff by voice natively from the device and NOT only manually via Airplay from the phone, HomePod is worthless to me. I get Cupertino's fascination w/pushing their own services but compared to Echo or Google, IMO Apple continues to be a distant third in terms of providing the functional experience most people expect from voice and 'smart' devices.

By contrast, I tell my Echo to play 'SXM Turbo' from across the room and it does it no problem.

Yes, I am aware Echos aren't as locked down or privacy-friendly as HomePods, but for this purpose the securitygeek in me thinks it's a valid tradeoff to get the functionality I want.
Interesting that Pandora is owned by SXM and can be streamed natively. Why not SXM itself? Is this an Apple restriction, or SXM not bringing it to the table?

This is exactly the evaluation I am doing right now between HomePod minis and my Echos. I would like to replace the Echos, but I don't want to take a step backward. Right now we stream Prime Music (I know... yuk), but it's easy on the Echos. Prime Music is not on HomePod yet and maybe never will be.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I was holding out to see what the HomePod 'v2.0' model would bring, but yeah to add some around the house...

-20% + free shipping a no brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.