Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has the latest 64GB Wi-Fi iPad mini available for a record-low price of $399.99, a savings of $99 off the regular price of $499.

ipad-mini-9.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is by far the lowest price we've ever tracked on the iPad mini 6, which debuted last September, and it is currently available for all four color options.

256GB Wi-Fi models are also seeing record-low prices, with Space Gray, Starlight, and Purple colors priced at priced at $539.99, a $109 savings compared to normal retail price. The Pink color option is currently seeing a slightly more modest discount, priced at a still-excellent $549.99.

For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide, we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Update May 2: Updated to note that all colors of the 64GB Wi-Fi iPad mini are now available for $399.99 while all colors except Pink of the 256GB Wi-Fi iPad mini are now available for $539.99.

Article Link: Deals: iPad Mini 6 Drops to All-Time Low Prices Starting $399.99 ($99–$109 Off)

Last edited:

Ion-X

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
If I never knew about jelly scrolling I would totally consider buying this. But now that I know about it, it would be difficult not to see in when scrolling in portrait mode (which is how I use my iPad outside of movies), and difficult not to question Apple’s decision to manufacture the panel this way (such that vertical but not horizontal scrolling results in the jelly effect). iPad mini is used for content consumption, not as a laptop replacement with keyboard and mouse!

tonie walker

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
If I never knew about jelly scrolling I would totally consider buying this. But now that I know about it, it would be difficult not to see in when scrolling in portrait mode (which is how I use my iPad outside of movies), and difficult not to question Apple’s decision to manufacture the panel this way (such that vertical but not horizontal scrolling results in the jelly effect). iPad mini is used for content consumption, not as a laptop replacement with keyboard and mouse!
i wonder why they end up that way considering ipad mini has been in the market for years, lazy engineering since its a shrink version of ipad air? Not enough engineers to work on this project? customer can always wait for next version anyways to buy, it’s just disappointing and unacceptable technology at this age and PRICE

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
I don't get the "jelly scrolling."

I'm a pilot with 20/10 and 20/20 vision. I have a Mini 6 and iPad Pro 12" with Promotion (and iPhone 13 Pro Max). I hardly ever use my Pro anymore, and I don't use my Mini thinking "if this was only 120hz!" I don't notice it.

Great iPad, great deal, do buy it!

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have a mini6, I’ve seen the jelly scroll issue and it doesn’t bother me at all.

To anyone who would get one but for the jelly scroll issue, I’d suggest buying it from a retailer with a solid no questions asked return policy. Live with the device for a week and definitely return it if the jelly scroll bugs you.

But lots of folks have a mini6 and js isn’t an issue, we love having essentially an iPad Air in a smaller form factor.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have a Mini 6 and honestly can’t see the jelly scrolling effect in real time. I also use a 12.9” iPad Pro with ProMotion and an iPhone 13 Pro Max, so it isn’t a case of not knowing what I’m missing— I can definitely see 60hz vs 120hz, but jelly scrolling is much more an attention-grabbing headline created by tech writers (note how many of the first reviews didn’t mention it at all) than an actual defect.

klasma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2017

I'm a pilot with 20/10 and 20/20 vision.
As with almost all aspects of perception, there are significant variances in how human brains process movements, and in how prominent or distracting certain effects are to the individual person. This is largely independent from how good your eyesight is. I have very bad eyesight but can’t not see the jelly scrolling and be irritated by it on the mini 6.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
church pastor (youth pastor) and also a full-time seminary student [aka have to/get to read a lot]. Mine jellies but this iPad mini with a Smart Cover and an Apple Pencil and a paperlike screen cover are such a great setup. I have a 2018 11" iPad Pro that I got when I started my seminary studies in spring 2019. but I use my mini probably 90% of the time. If you are thinking of pulling the trigger, pull it.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Amazing deal. It means you will likely not lose any much on resale given how these things hold their value.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2021
i wonder why they end up that way considering ipad mini has been in the market for years, lazy engineering since its a shrink version of ipad air? Not enough engineers to work on this project? customer can always wait for next version anyways to buy, it’s just disappointing and unacceptable technology at this age and PRICE
Make room for the Apple Pencil probably. Fun fact, iPad Air 5 has jelly effect in its landscape mode and both current gen iPad Pros have it in portrait mode.

• Love
Reactions: jeffpeng

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

I'm a pilot with 20/10 and 20/20 vision. I have a Mini 6 and iPad Pro 12" with Promotion (and iPhone 13 Pro Max). I hardly ever use my Pro anymore, and I don't use my Mini thinking "if this was only 120hz!" I don't notice it.

Great iPad, great deal, do buy it!

I'm a non pilot, using progressive lens for years... and I also have not noticed this jelly scrolling. I have the iPad Mini 6, and I generally love it.

It's not perfect, but my only nitpicks are a couple.... first the price was a bit much for a "mini" device. But I did get it at a lower price (Costco). The second nitpick is not really due to Apple... but that some of the Third Party hybrid iOS/iPad apps I use are not optimized for the iPad screen. It's like they were intended for a smaller iPhone screen, then on the iPad you have this stupid "zoom button" to get a doubled-sized screen that would try make better use of the iPad screen. The Apple-made apps, of course, are optimized for the iPad's screen. But the Third Party iOS/iPad apps are not.

I suppose Apple could, and should, kick those Third Party devs ass.... and force them to optimize their hybrid apps not just for iPhone screens, but also for the iPad screens? Then again, I predict that people here will cry: "Oh but if Apple did that, watch and see ALL the devs will instantly drop support for the iPad!"

But hey... if Regulations-happy European Union can dictate and bully Apple how to develop their software and hardware.... then it goes to follow, Apple can and should dictate to its devs how to optimize their apps for both the iOS and iPadOS.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G4
Mar 19, 2008
Have you ever traded in an iPad to Apple? I’ve done 3 of them, all Pro models and they have the worst value after the Apple Watch.

Absolutely true -- they totally hose people on the trade-ins, especially when spec'd up

Base models tend to be the best place to be if worried about future trade ins

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Anybody know when this sale ends. If I buy through Amazon I have to pay sales tax but if I get BestBuy in nearby New Hampshire to price match tomorrow (they're closed now) I'm good.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Have you ever traded in an iPad to Apple? I’ve done 3 of them, all Pro models and they have the worst value after the Apple Watch.

Trading into Apple will always get you significantly less than market value.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2021
Absolutely true -- they totally hose people on the trade-ins, especially when spec'd up

Base models tend to be the best place to be if worried about future trade ins
Exactly. I ordered a MBA with 16gb ram one year then went to trade it in later and Apple’s site didn’t even factor it in so what’s the point. Same for the phones, you just select the model when buying a new one no serial number or configuration requested.

At this point in tech and my use cases I will never buy anything above base model.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Student of Life

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
Anybody know when this sale ends. If I buy through Amazon I have to pay sales tax but if I get BestBuy in nearby New Hampshire to price match tomorrow (they're closed now) I'm good.
Price match it now via BestBuy online chat and instead of delivery pick the store you want to pick it up from. That way you get the deal now, save the taxed and pick it up tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.