Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If Apple doesn't release a new iMac this holiday season, I'm just going to get one of these and hook it up to my M1 MacBook Pro 😩

Using what you have is a good idea. Nothing wrong with leveraging hardware already owned for additional usefulness. MB is easily desktop too. Bonus: synching between the "two" is automatic and beyond easy. ;)

And you might want to keep an eye on this dock or similar... because it may make using MBs as desktops even easier and more flexible.

Last edited:
Reactions: coffeemilktea

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I’m not OP but I use an LG monitor with my MacBook. It works as a display but none of the sleep functions work with Macs. So every few minutes, the monitor wakes up to display an error message. Really annoying as it’s in my bedroom. I always end up unplugging the Mac at night because of it.
I realize it’s rarely used nowadays but, I assume, the monitor includes an off/on button. I think, that would be easier than (un)plugging.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I’m not OP but I use an LG monitor with my MacBook. It works as a display but none of the sleep functions work with Macs. So every few minutes, the monitor wakes up to display an error message. Really annoying as it’s in my bedroom. I always end up unplugging the Mac at night because of it.
I should do that too. I throw a T-shirt on the screen and my wife gets upset about the looks.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
That's what I'm holding out for as long as it has respectable horsepower for gaming.

tl;dr I am closer than ever to being resigned to leaving Mac behind as I do not want two machines when one will suffice and I can no longer say than in an Apple Silicon environment

Gone are the days where I could brush off the need for a PC as we still have some intel Mac developers and of course intel Macs can just bootcamp and have a wealth of offerings. Now with Apple Silicon Apple the few remaining developers even more cause to not continue.

I really do not care for the idea of jumping through hoops just to run games in some emulation mode that is as likely to break with a new Apple patch as game patch. So what gaming is truly left that isn't just denying what we already know?

I have been on intel Mac since day one and I am not at the realization I will end up back in PC. I enjoyed the Mac for the simplicity of design and many keep saying the new larger iMac is just the Studio or Mini but if I am going away from the AIO of iMac I may as well just go away from Mac.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
I realize it’s rarely used nowadays but, I assume, the monitor includes an off/on button. I think, that would be easier than (un)plugging.
Yeah I’ve done that but the monitor’s processor is so slow that turning it on takes 5-10 seconds before its UI shows up.

It’s annoyed me enough that I’m ready to dump it on an unsuspecting relative. It’s just unfortunate that Macs don’t seem to support sleep functions on non-Apple displays.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
I am waiting for 27" iMac too, but my patience is being severely tested at this point. The 27-inch ViewFinity S9 5K Display looks more enticing each day.

Come on Apple.

Reactions: Student of Life

hoodlum90

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2020
It looks like people are having issues with the Viewfinity S9 monitor.

Samsung Viewfinity S9 crashes my MayBook Pro when it goes to sleep

For me the crashing is the biggest problem, but not the only one. I also have had some more issues with this monitor:

- The monitor has problem waking the MBP up. Sometimes I need to get the MBP out of its stand (it is stores in smth like this) open it up, sign in, reconnect the plug, close it and put it back in the stand

- Sometimes the monitor is not connecting at all. Restarting both devices does not help either. The only way to fix this, is to unplug the monitor from the wall, wait 30 secs and plug it back in. So only a "hard reset" lets it work probably again.

When you put your Mac to sleep or shut it down, a bright blue screen appears, warning you that the display will enter standby mode in 45 seconds. It’s jarring, and if there’s a way to turn that feature off, I couldn’t find it. When the display’s in standby mode, it will spring back into action the moment you start up or wake up your Mac.

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
It’s just unfortunate that Macs don’t seem to support sleep functions on non-Apple displays.
The S9 sleeps very happily with my Studio, although there is an annoying 45 second blue screen before it goes to sleep. Wake up is fine too, and plenty quick enough (quicker than my old 2019 iMac anyway).

It looks like people are having issues with the Viewfinity S9 monitor
I’ve not had any of those issues, personally.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

sclary110

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
60hz refresh rate? At that price point? I'm out. Too bad, cuz its a nice hardware design.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
If that had this as the default price from the beginning, a lot more people would have been interested. The trouble is the people who were waiting for the Samsung S9 5K ended up just getting an Apple display when the saw the price was the same.

Yes, it is honestly a good monitor but being the same price as the Studio Display hinders its appeal. It also didn’t help that it took way to long to hit the stores after announcement and the Studio Display was selling already.

The only con or dissatisfaction that I have with the Studio Display is the camera, it sucks, it is really bad for a $1600 device.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
tl;dr I am closer than ever to being resigned to leaving Mac behind as I do not want two machines when one will suffice and I can no longer say than in an Apple Silicon environment

Gone are the days where I could brush off the need for a PC as we still have some intel Mac developers and of course intel Macs can just bootcamp and have a wealth of offerings. Now with Apple Silicon Apple the few remaining developers even more cause to not continue.

I really do not care for the idea of jumping through hoops just to run games in some emulation mode that is as likely to break with a new Apple patch as game patch. So what gaming is truly left that isn't just denying what we already know?

I have been on intel Mac since day one and I am not at the realization I will end up back in PC. I enjoyed the Mac for the simplicity of design and many keep saying the new larger iMac is just the Studio or Mini but if I am going away from the AIO of iMac I may as well just go away from Mac.

But what will you do with all of the money savings? And how will you ever sort through far more apps available for Windows? And if RAM or SSD goes bad, you might want to replace it for little cost vs. buying a whole new computer? And without arbitrary corporate vintaging decisions, how will you know when to replace a whole computer that still works just fine? And if you want to use it with a third party desktop monitor, how will you ever decide from the multitudes of monitors that will all work just fine vs. only a couple with oddball resolutions priced HIGH? And how will you not be distracted by the abundance of AAA games already available on that platform? Etc.

Reads like crazy talk to me. All hail the Apple. ;)

Last edited:

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2005
I am waiting for 27" iMac too, but my patience is being severely tested at this point. The 27-inch ViewFinity S9 5K Display looks more enticing each day.

Come on Apple.
I think we can safely rule out a 27" iMac now. The M2 mini Pro and Studio Display combination have pretty much sealed its fate. I'd have liked a new 5K iMac to come in at around the price my top-end late '15 was, adjusted for inflation, and I do like the AIO form factor, but at the end of the day, you're only looking at a screen and a mini is easy enough to hide.

xDeadTechx

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020
The M8OC while it's nice monitor.. the screen is washed out and it's just a "big" monitor. The addition of USB-C powering my MBP 14 is nice but, screen display is important and it just doesn't look good in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.