Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A fresh set of discounts on the 16-inch MacBook Pro have returned today, with low prices on both the 512GB and 1TB models of Apple's high-end notebook. The sales today can be found across numerous retailers, including Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, and Tiger Direct.

16inchmacbookpromain.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The 512GB 16-inch MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz 6-Core, 16GB RAM) is on sale for $2,099.00, down from $2,399.00. This $300 discount is a sale we've tracked a few times since the notebook's launch last year, and it represents the lowest price we've ever tracked for a new model. It's available at Amazon, B&H Photo, and Tiger Direct.

The 1TB 16-inch MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz 8-Core, 16GB RAM) is on sale for $2,499.00, down from $2,799.00. This is another sale that we've seen often throughout the past few months, and it's now expanded across more retailers, remaining the best price on this model. You can find the $300 discount on Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo.

As one final note, there is a small sale on a new 13-inch MacBook Pro from 2020 on Amazon. You can get the 512GB notebook (1.4 GHz, 8GB RAM) for $1,444.94, down from $1,499.00 ($54 off). You can find even more discounts on other MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Article Link: Deals: Save $300 on Apple's 16-Inch MacBook Pro, Starting at $2,099 for the 512GB Model

JDGwf

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016
Not entirely accurate with that sweeping statement there.
[automerge]1589979164[/automerge]

Probably, called macOS 10.16

Yeah. I've been eyeballing a new MBP for a few months now. It really depends on if they announce Rust bindings or support to iOS/MacOS at vWWDC I think.

What's the problem with External displays? Is it just a local/user/headspace issue or something widely reported?

Reactions: jbachandouris

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yeah. I've been eyeballing a new MBP for a few months now. It really depends on if they announce Rust bindings or support to iOS/MacOS at WWDCI think.

What's the problem with External displays? Is it just a local/user/headspace issue or something widely reported?

If you use the 16" with certain external displays, and with it open (not closed, or clamshell mode), then the dGPU uses 20w of power and the machine heats up and the fans can spin up. Whether it's an "issue" is dependant on if this annoys you or not.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah. I've been eyeballing a new MBP for a few months now. It really depends on if they announce Rust bindings or support to iOS/MacOS at vWWDC I think.

I think Catalina 10.15.5 will fix thing or two related to this (probably having to do with graphics drivers).

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
If you use the 16" with certain external displays, and with it open (not closed, or clamshell mode), then the dGPU uses 20w of power and the machine heats up and the fans can spin up. Whether it's an "issue" is dependant on if this annoys you or not.
Damn, really, this hasn’t been really covered up as it could (I think it’s important).
I have been shopping around and watched every maxtech/MaxYuryev 9to5mac, etc etc vídeos on 16”, 2020 13”, iMacs, Air with or without eGPU. The only mention regarding heat is Air (as we know) and base 13” since they have a single fan and no underside vents compared to the $1799 one.
Thanks for the heads up, any link to dig into that?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Damn, really, this hasn’t been really covered up as it could (I think it’s important).
I have been shopping around and watched every maxtech/MaxYuryev 9to5mac, etc etc vídeos on 16”, 2020 13”, iMacs, Air with or without eGPU. The only mention regarding heat is Air (as we know) and base 13” since they have a single fan and no underside vents compared to the $1799 one.
Thanks for the heads up, any link to dig into that?

This 63 page thread on this very forum :) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I love my 16"

Reactions: amartinez1660

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I saw this video
which seems to have a work around for the external monitor issue. I have not got the 16 yet but hope this work around would help when using an external monitor. Two of my co workers are using the 16 with external monitors with out any issues.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I bought my 16" 1TB i9 at BestBuy in April. Their system wasn't working correctly that day and did not add any sales tax to my purchase so I got my MBP for the price that was listed on the website with no tax added. That was a nice surprise.

Reactions: julesme

JDGwf

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2016

For me, that's not a deal-breaker (I usually keep my laptops in a "dock" when on my desktop work-area), and sounds like something easily fixed in software.
That said, I do understand how this could be a major problem for some users.

Demultiplex_Dfunc

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
I could remembered buying a Titanium MacBook in 2000 with 400 Mhz for $2000. Running the first iteration of OSX was painfully slow. It is by every conceivable metrics slower than even the iPhone SE today. One thing still remain constant compare to today’s 16”, the beach ball.

• Haha
Reactions: macdaddychu

lucky6877

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
I am holding out for a refresh of the 16 inch macbook pro, hoping they will get the 10th generation i7 with wifi 6 soon, just hope it is really soon and not november as I was originally planning to buy the rumoured 14inch macbook pro which they did not release, so need to upgrade from my 2012 macbook pro soon!

Anyone knows if Apple going to refresh the 16inch soon? Is it worth holding out for it or shall I go for it now and buy it now? Will there be a significant performance increase? What about wifi 6? is it worth holding out for that?

I would appreciate some of your thoughts on the matter, thanks!!

ridddder55

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2019
Ohio
My mid 2015 is still holding up, would love to have 64GB of RAM, so I don't need to only open up 2-4 apps at one time because I run out of RAM. FCP, Adobe products, and others keep sucking up all my RAM. Although I only have 2 32bit apps I use alot, not sure if I am ready to switch to dongle heaven with USB C everything. Still love my mag safe!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.