Deals Spotlight: Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XS $24 Off From Amazon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS is available for $104.95 on Amazon right now, which is a $24 discount off of the standard $129 price tag.

The discounted price is only available for the Smart Battery Case that comes in black, with the white and pink varieties still priced at $129. There are also no discounts on the version for the iPhone XS Max or the version for the iPhone XR, unfortunately.

$104.95 is the lowest price we've seen for the iPhone XS Smart Battery Case since its launch back in January. Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XS, when used with an iPhone XS, provides a combined total of up to 33 hours of talk time, up to 21 hours of internet use, and up to 25 hours of video playback.

The Smart Battery Cases can be charged via Lightning or wirelessly using any Qi-based wireless charger, and battery status can be viewed on the iPhone's Lock screen and in Notification Center.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XS $24 Off From Amazon

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It is - a truly ugly case.
Why does it matter what it looks like?, Its based on the functionality providing extra battery. Anyone buying this battery case doesn’t care how it looks, they want to extend the battery life for their daily commute or whatever else that might require it.

Reactions: locovaca

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
For those hating on this, the 3rd party cases don’t compare at all. Here is a list of things that makes this case the best:
- Easy to take on or off
- iOS integration
- Soft one piece durable/protective design
- wireless charging
- lightning input that works for all accessories I’ve tested not just charging.

Some of these features listed cannot be done by 3rd party (like using android watch on iPhone), so I’m glad they made this regardless of all the haters who never used it.

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
For those hating on this, the 3rd party cases don’t compare at all. Here is a list of things that makes this case the best:
- Easy to take on or off
- iOS integration
- wireless charging

Some of these features listed cannot be done by 3rd party (like using android watch on iPhone), so I’m glad they made this regardless of all the haters who never used it.
Yup... the amazon reviews on the third party cases are horrible even for brands like Mophie.

One other MAJOR feature you missed about the Apple Smart Battery Case is that it keeps your iPhone from spinning up into “high power” mode where it thinks it is charging so it does a bunch of background tasks it’s been waiting to do. All other cases add battery but also increase your power usage while in use because your iPhone thinks it is plugged into the wall. And the third party ones have a manual charge/don’t-charge button (likely for this reason). The Apple case can be placed on your iPhone and forgotten about. It keeps wireless charging available and lightning accessories all work.

I don’t use mine all the time, but I did just buy one for iPhone XS Max for vacations. Especially Disney World because the My Disney Experience app burns battery like crazy.

For my kids & wife who had to go with third party cases for their iPhone 6s/7 Plus phones for this coming trip, it was hard to find something with good reviews and even what we got was heavy and not fun to hold.

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
My iPhone X battery is rarely lower than 50% at the end of the day, I use it fairly often at work. Same as at the weekend when I’m not working and out and about. If you’re using your phone so much that it’s actually going flat and you need this, I think you’ve got bigger problems than needing a battery pack.

Reactions: mfm77

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Yup... the amazon reviews on the third party cases are horrible even for brands like Mophie.

One other MAJOR feature you missed about the Apple Smart Battery Case is that it keeps your iPhone from spinning up into “high power” mode where it thinks it is charging so it does a bunch of background tasks it’s been waiting to do. All other cases add battery but also increase your power usage while in use because your iPhone thinks it is plugged into the wall. And the third party ones have a manual charge/don’t-charge button (likely for this reason). The Apple case can be placed on your iPhone and forgotten about. It keeps wireless charging available and lightning accessories all work.

I don’t use mine all the time, but I did just buy one for iPhone XS Max for vacations. Especially Disney World because the My Disney Experience app burns battery like crazy.

For my kids & wife who had to go with third party cases for their iPhone 6s/7 Plus phones for this coming trip, it was hard to find something with good reviews and even what we got was heavy and not fun to hold.
Yep I totally missed that one. Speaking of vacation just remember that the case isn’t waterproof like the phone.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2014
I love my battery case. I use it every weekend and when I’m out in battery stressful temps (snowboarding). Works awesome. It lasts all weekend. And the haters are gonna hate. It’s not bad looking on your phone. And $100 is a steal for this thing.

I’ve used this on my phone in negative 20 degree temps while snowboarding and it will last all weekend.. it’s a great product

Rainshadow

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2017
My iPhone X battery is rarely lower than 50% at the end of the day, I use it fairly often at work. Same as at the weekend when I’m not working and out and about. If you’re using your phone so much that it’s actually going flat and you need this, I think you’ve got bigger problems than needing a battery pack.
Wow, congratulations. Nice that you work in an area with great cell reception and you dont make many phone calls with your cell phone in your career.

I spent years working outside in remote areas and trying to remember to charge batteries on even the longest lasting phones. I am in and out of cell reception constantly. I also occasionally use it as a mapping system, marking gps locations even while NOT in cell reception. The phone is a crucial part of my job and many others’. With the battery case, I get home after 16 hour days and have less than 40% battery. That’s INCLUDING the smart battery case. And it’s not because I’m checking Facebook or Instagram...

Even on short days, I get into bed and my phone is just finally out of battery case power. The added security of not having to even think about battery power is more than work $100 IMHO.

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
I love my battery case! My iPhone X never runs short even on the longest days. I don't regret buying it at $129
Same, my smart battery case was invaluable on my most recent two week vacation. Even while spending all day shooting pictures and video or hopping airport to airport without even thinking about topping off my phone.

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
I still don't get it why Apple ever released this (expensive) monstrosity, leave it to third party brands.
I had one for my 6s and it was MILES better than a Spigen battery case one. I didn't really mind the fact I got less battery or that I can't power it off whenever I want, but the feeling was much better. It was so easy to put on also.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why does it matter what it looks like?, Its based on the functionality providing extra battery. Anyone buying this battery case doesn’t care how it looks, they want to extend the battery life for their daily commute or whatever else that might require it.
Some people just don't like the case, to them it matters, nothing more, nothing less.

- Easy to take on or off
- iOS integration
- wireless charging

I love my battery case. I use it every weekend and when I’m out in battery stressful temps (snowboarding). Works awesome. It lasts all weekend. And the haters are gonna hate. It’s not bad looking on your phone. And $100 is a steal for this thing.

I’ve used this on my phone in negative 20 degree temps while snowboarding and it will last all weekend.. it’s a great product
Why use the "hate" word, I dislike the case, am I a hater just because I don't like it, am I a hater just because I post a message here that I think it's a monstrosity?!

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I find this case to be the single most unsightly thing Apple has ever created. It is so bizarre to me they didn’t make any attempts to taper the battery bulge on the back and at least make a soft, gradual curve from the top of the case to the bottom. How did this crappy looking thing ever get past the design team or the quality control team there? It looks like they put no effort into it what-so-ever. I don’t doubt that it’s useful, but it seems to stand in direct opposition to the aesthetics and design centered engineering that Apple was built on. Such a weird case. I would love to hear how they justified this thing in the board room.

Grey Area

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Not really interested in the X-generation iPhones so far, but this is the case I would get. The only official case that protects the lower edge, plus the battery goodies. Heck, the introduction of this case raised my interest in the XS, a little...

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Some people just don't like the case, to them it matters, nothing more, nothing less
I already gathered that. But it doesn’t change the main purpose of this case, it’s not about the aesthetics, it’s about for those who want the extended battery life. If I needed the battery life for my phone, and this was my only option, I wouldn’t let a case determine because of how it looks versus the actual functionality.

Reactions: yegon

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Great case that I use specifically on holiday and trips where I’m taking loads of photo/video and using GPS.

Moaning about how it looks, haha, okay. A phone is a tool for me, not an object of desire.

It’s a nice option to have. Most of the time I don’t use it, hugely reduced my phone time in recent years by choice, it’s usually 50+% come bedtime.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I already gathered that. But it doesn’t change the main purpose of this case, it’s not about the aesthetics, it’s about for those who want the extended battery life. If I needed the battery life for my phone, and this was my only option, I wouldn’t let a case determine because of how it looks versus the actual functionality.
Fair enough, I know there are some use cases/users which need this option, like the one who is working in low connectivity areas, or people who are making plenty of phone calls for there jobs.