Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is offering customers a chance to save when pre-ordering the Apple Watch Series 5, which is set to be released this Friday, September 20. The retailer's sale is focused on select models of the cellular Apple Watch Series 5, and offers up to $50 off these devices.

apple-watch-series-5-titanium-no-background.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

We've listed a few models on sale below, and you can head to Amazon to browse the full sale right here. Readers should note that some of the sales are only for certain case sizes, and some others require you to clip an on-page coupon to get the discount.

Apple Watch Series 5 Pre-Order Discount (GPS + Cellular)

40mm Stainless Steel with White Sport Band - $649.00, down from $699.00 ($50 off)
44mm Space Black Stainless Steel with Black Sport Band - $699.00, down from $749.00 ($50 off)
44mm Space Black Stainless Steel with Black Milanese Loop - $749.00, down from $799.00 ($50 off)
44mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop - $749.00, down from $799.00 ($50 off)
Check out our full Deals Roundup for even more bargains and discounts, including information on iPhone 11 pre-order sales.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Save Up to $50 When Pre-Ordering Apple Watch Series 5 on Amazon

Reactions: ruslan120

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
This is a pretty good deal! I was going to wait a few months to order mine, but bit the bullet now with this offer.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Amazon does the same thing with Switch Games. They sell the latest release at a discount - 49.95 instead of 60. I am guessing this is just Amazon's ploy at retaining customers when they visit their site and buy more things.

Reactions: Westside guy

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I’m torn between buying the base sport model and upgrading more frequently or getting the stainless or titanium and upgrading less frequently.
I honestly cannot even tell the difference between the stainless steel and the aluminum model. You're literally paying hundreds of extra dollars for a slightly different casing material. It seems nuts to me.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Too bad the sale is not on the aluminum version. that’ll be a steal!

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
That’s exactly what I thought. Amazon needs approval from Apple to discount products, yeah? So, Apple already said ‘sure, whatever it takes to sell them.’

no of course not. this is amazon selling them at a loss, hoping you'll order more stuff, like accessories, at the same time. i would highly doubt that apple has any say on how amazon prices them.

Reactions: ronntaylor

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m torn between buying the base sport model and upgrading more frequently or getting the stainless or titanium and upgrading less frequently.

Here’s my thoughts:

I personally would upgrade to the more ‘premium models’, I say that because the Apple Watch has matured a lot now where it’s not needed to upgrade that often, because of how efficient the way has become (Now that’s offering 64 bit architecture), it has a plethora of expanded features, and when you upgrade to the titanium/sapphire models, that includes the sapphire display, which trumps the cheap Ion-X glass on the aluminum model that scratches easily.

Reactions: incoherent_1

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I honestly cannot even tell the difference between the stainless steel and the aluminum model. You're literally paying hundreds of extra dollars for a slightly different casing material. It seems nuts to me.
As someone who has owned both a stainless steel and aluminum version, there is a HUGE difference. The case of the stainless steel one is less prone to dents and physical damage, and it’s very difficult to scratch the sapphire-coated screen. I switched from the stainless steel to aluminum with the series 3 and regretted it within a couple weeks.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
no of course not. this is amazon selling them at a loss, hoping you'll order more stuff, like accessories, at the same time. i would highly doubt that apple has any say on how amazon prices them.
Really? Okay, now more informed.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017

Have you owned at least one or both versions? As another has said on here, I too have owned both and immediately regretted having to go with the aluminum for my second purchase. Your comment is shocking as the sapphire, stainless quality alone is worth it and glaringly obvious when someone has a SS version versus the aluminum. The heft of it... worlds different in look and experience.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

there’s a significant difference between aluminum and stainless, and I would never own an aluminum version.

Stainless steel is much more scratch and wear resistant, and can be polished to look like new. Aluminum looks and feels cheap.

then there’s the sapphire display which is an obvious improvement in both brightness and scratch resistance.

I’m guessing you’ve never actually used the stainless steel version.

Logamaniac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2018
That’s exactly what I thought. Amazon needs approval from Apple to discount products, yeah? So, Apple already said ‘sure, whatever it takes to sell them.’
More likely Apple sets msrp and simultaneously denotes what max discount can be in time stages of their products. They sell to amazon at the same price and it’s amazons decision to reduce their sales margin in order to drive purchases of other products from those customers.

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
Um. There is a huge difference between the two. The silver aluminum model looks dull and muted. The stainless steel is shiny and bright. I also like how the stainless steel ages. Plus, you only get the sapphire glass with stainless steel and above.

Is all that worth $300? I don’t know. Not for me this time. I’m sporting a SS Series 0 and going to an aluminum space gray series 5. I wonder if I’ll regret not going SS though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.