Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced the release of a trio of new accessories, aimed at charging up an iPhone in your car. These devices are available to order today on Satechi's website, and when you bundle two of them you can save 20 percent off your order.

SATECHI_Magnetic_Car_Charger_ENV1_REV1.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Satechi. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The bundle deal starts with the new Magentic Wireless Car Charger for $44.99, and it is compatible with MagSafe, although it won't charge at the full 15-watt MagSafe charging speed. It uses an air vent clip-on design and supports Qi wireless charging.

Secondly, the 40W Dual USB-C Car Charger is $29.99 and features two USB-C ports, so you can charge two devices simultaneously. Satechi says that this accessory fits in most car cigarette lighters.

SATECHI_CAR_CHARGER_20W_ENV1.jpg

If you buy both the Magnetic Wireless Car Charger and the 40W Dual USB-C Car Charger you can get 20 percent off both with the code CAR20. Shoppers should note that while the Magnetic Wireless Car Charger is ready to ship today, the 40W Car Charger won't ship until the first week of October.

SATECHI_GaN_20W_US_ENV2.jpg

Lastly, the 20W USB-C Wall Charger is $17.99, and supports Apple's quick charge feature for the latest iPhones. With USB-C power delivery, you can charge an iPhone from zero to 50 percent in 30 minutes. This accessory doesn't have a discount at this time.

If you're on the hunt for more discounts, be sure to visit our Apple Deals roundup where we recap the best Apple-related bargains of the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Take 20% Off a Bundle of Satechi's New MagSafe-Compatible and Dual USB-C Car Chargers

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
I don't get these MagSafe car chargers, unless you never use Apple CarPlay, because you still have to plug your phone in to use CarPlay (except for about 3 models of cars that offer wireless CarPlay). How does that work with both MagSafe and lightning cable plugged in simultaneously?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I don't get these MagSafe car chargers, unless you never use Apple CarPlay, because you still have to plug your phone in to use CarPlay (except for about 3 models of cars that offer wireless CarPlay). How does that work with both MagSafe and lightning cable plugged in simultaneously?

Guessing there are lots of folks that just want a mount that'll work good and aren't worried about CarPlay (probably not in their car or never used it) - adding integrated charging to it would be gravy to those folks. I'd think these (as a category) will sell well.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Because not everyone is driving a new car that has CarPlay? I drive a 2017 car, it has no car play. Why would you assume that everyone has CarPlay?

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Yeah, I drive a 2015 vehicle and don't have CarPlay so having a MagSafe charger would be great. I'm slightly annoyed that nearly every magnetic charger on the market isn't actual MagSafe and doesn't charge at the full 15W. I suspect because accessory makers don't want to pay extra to Apple to license its use? It's been about a year now and MagSafe feels like it's missing the mark. Don't get me wrong, being able to attach things to the phone or the phone to something magnetically does have a few good use cases, but for me the best thing about MagSafe was the faster 15W charging. And other than Apple's own accessories and maybe a few others here and there, it seems most accessories don't support it. Not to mention the true MagSafe accessories are very expensive. The whole thing has been very underwhelming to me.

ignatius345

macrumors 601
Aug 20, 2015
I don't get these MagSafe car chargers, unless you never use Apple CarPlay, because you still have to plug your phone in to use CarPlay (except for about 3 models of cars that offer wireless CarPlay).

Don't forget the thousands of car models that don't have CarPlay at all. My phone is my music and navigation, so mounting it front and center is very important. With my last iPhone and vent mount, I had to work a fiddly clamp and plug in the lightning cable every time I got in and out of the car. Not a huge deal when you do it once, but it gets old after a while.

Now, I just take the phone out of my pocket and let the magnet grab hold of it. It's very satisfying and easy.

ignatius345

macrumors 601
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, I drive a 2015 vehicle and don't have CarPlay so having a MagSafe charger would be great. I'm slightly annoyed that nearly every magnetic charger on the market isn't actual MagSafe and doesn't charge at the full 15W.
I honestly don't think it's a big deal at all. I also have a Lightning cable sitting there and if for whatever reason I was in a huge hurry to top of my phone I'd plug it in while it was on the mount ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have wireless carplay - Im just looking for a magsafe style mount, just to mount the phone (not even charge), but I dont want a vent mount.....

Reactions: Erkinshadow

PTVMan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
It would be awesome if someone developed a MagSafe car mount that charges and connects to CarPlay through the MagSafe connection.

Reactions: ComputerMan

Rocko99991

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2017
Guessing there are lots of folks that just want a mount that'll work good and aren't worried about CarPlay (probably not in their car or never used it) - adding integrated charging to it would be gravy to those folks. I'd think these (as a category) will sell well.
Except all of these mounts don't offer enough magnet strength. For the phone to not move/fall off you need plates on the phone and or case and some real magnets-ie Scosche Magic Mount, etc.

dingle19

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2016
San Diego, CA
LOTS of vehicles now with wireless CarPlay. Honda has been adopting it in the Accord for 2021 and probably the entire lineup going forward. That's a LOT of cars.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

This may sound stupid, but what does Car Play look like? The Toyota we have supposedly is running Car Play, but it's not looking like the early mock-up pictures I saw. It is also asking for a 'map update', but when I tried, it failed, and when I called Toyota, they said the head unit is 'In beta', and can't be updated until 2024! Um, WHAT?!?!?!!!! Thanks 'Toy'ota...

Sciomar

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2017
They make wireless CarPlay adapters that might be worth a look if you really want MagSafe and CarPlay in any car with a supporting stereo.

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA

Ooh, look at Mr. Wealthy over here with his fancy CarPlay-equipped vehicle, lah dee dah.

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Ooh, look at Mr. Wealthy over here with his fancy CarPlay-equipped vehicle, lah dee dah.
Couldn't the same be said for everyone who owns a fancy, overpriced iPhone? ;)

In case you were interested, here is a list of all the models and years of cars that support CarPlay.

Plenty of budget cars with CarPlay. Wealth not required. :)

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2015
I may pick the magnetic charger up. I've had the Pitaka case and magnetic charger for my 11 Pro and just ordered another Pitaka case for my 13 Pro. They haven't released their new magnetic car charger yet so I may look at this one. I wonder if this will work with a case or does the phone need to be naked? Presumably naked.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Anyone find a vent mount that actually works well on a Jeep Wrangler? (Or any car with similar round vents) The weight of Max phones always seems to have these fail eventually and not stay up.

adam1080

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2012
I mean, are there even any good, actual 15-watt MagSafe car charges in existence?

robertjamesm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado with a pioneer 10” screen with wireless car play loving it. I don’t have to plug my phone in or have wires all over my truck.

rcread

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Duvall, WA USA
16 of my cars were built before CarPlay was introduced, so having a MagSafe charger in my car is quite handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.