Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Just got my rMB Pro 13 TB and it *has* the "rattle", but I wouldn't call it a rattle. It is an almost imperceptibly gentle thud and, especially now I've read on here advice that the plastic sheet needs to be able to expand when it warms up, I honestly couldn't care less. It may be a design feature, it may not, but it is so slight - and only occurs when I purposely tip the thing and listen carefully - that it makes zero difference to me. As someone said a few posts above, a Macbook without the thud may develop it anyway over time after an unknown number ofexpansion/contraction cycles... The looseness of the plastic sheet has a purpose of sorts. Let it be; find something bigger to worry about ;-)

For anyone who is thinking of letting this issue put them off purchasing, don't pay any attention to this issue. The sound is like an old-school overhead projector A4 plastic slide tapping gently when shuffled in a pile like a pack of cards. Really nothing.

The almost imperceptibly gentle thud:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Re post 76 directly above (and the video within):

I owned a 2010 MacBook pro since April 2010, and not once -- EVER -- have I found a need to handle it like that.
Maybe it would "rattle" if I did -- but I don't see why one would shake a laptop thusly. It makes no sense, proves no point.

I also own a 2015 MacBook Pro, bought new in December 2016.
Never once have I felt the need or obsession to shake it thusly.

Old sayin':
Patient:
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this".
Doctor:
"Don't do that".

Or, as Muhammed Ali might have said:
Don't shake it, and you won't break it!

Reactions: pejx72

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
My 2016 non TB MBP does it. While it doesn't necessarily seem to affect performance, I don't like hearing that every time I pull it out of its sleeve.

I didn't know this was such a common thing. Will Apple fix it if I take it to the Apple Store?

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
My 2016 non TB MBP does it. While it doesn't necessarily seem to affect performance, I don't like hearing that every time I pull it out of its sleeve.

I didn't know this was such a common thing. Will Apple fix it if I take it to the Apple Store?

I no longer have the unit that had this problem but when I did bring it in they offered to replace the LCD. YMMV though

Reactions: fedecape

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
As in they might say no?

Yeah your mileage may vary = YMMV. It's certainly not 'normal,' as my new 2017 doesn't have this issue so I anticipate most Genius bars would have no issues replacing your LCD.

cudifying

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2016
had the rattle in my 2017 15". Went to the Apple Store within 14 day return period, complained and showed them that other MacBooks at the store mostly don't have the problem. Genius agreed with me and let me switch it out on the spot. Unboxed it right there to make sure nothing was off again and well - everything is fine now. No rattle in this one!

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I'll schedule an appoint to try to get mine fixed. The problem is that i'd either need a loaner or to get it fixed on the spot. Is this something they do?

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Made an appointment to go see Apple Friday. Whatever is lose in there is starting to bug as I can feel it every time I pick it up. I'll report back with what they say and what they do about it.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Took it in, he said he opened it up and found the issue was with the hinge, just swapped it out for a new one.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I took mine in today, they had to ship it to Texas so I’m laptopless for 4-5 days. The guy said this issue was new to him, but he didn’t deny it at all. He moved the laptop very gently and felt it.

I don’t mind the wait, as long as the computer returns in one piece and fully fixed.

Will report back later next week.

Last edited:

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
The only good news, at least with mine, it was the hinge and nothing electronic, mechanical, or any important components being loose.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Returning my second BTO 13" 2017 tbMBP due to this issue. It's not even a slight knock, it's an all out thud every time you tilt your laptop or lift it off the desk. You can feel the impact of whatever it is from the outside of the case. Something is not right, at all.

I've decided to avoid this gen and stick with my 12" MacBook, sadly. Massive design flaw if they haven't been able to resolve it for 3 years.

FWIW, my 2015 12" MacBook has never suffered from this issue.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Returning my second BTO 13" 2017 tbMBP due to this issue. It's not even a slight knock, it's an all out thud every time you tilt your laptop or lift it off the desk. You can feel the impact of whatever it is from the outside of the case. Something is not right, at all.

I've decided to avoid this gen and stick with my 12" MacBook, sadly. Massive design flaw if they haven't been able to resolve it for 3 years.

FWIW, my 2015 12" MacBook has never suffered from this issue.

I understand that even your MacBook version suffers from this design flaw. I’m guessing you got a good one.

I hope they manage to fix mine, cause Windows isn’t an option .

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
So got mine back and yeah.. I still have the rattle. They replaced the logic board and the casing of the lid. I guess it’s a true design flaw. I’ll deal with it and if it ever gets worrisome, I’ll take it in again.

Last edited:

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Just got my 2017 15" MacBook Pro this past week and yes I have that "rattle" when I move my MacBook Pro side to side. It isn't very loud and it doesn't bother me.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I had the 2014 MacBook with the rattle.

I had the 2015 MacBook with the rattle.

I had the 2016 MacBook with the rattle.

I have the 2017 MacBook with the rattle.

Enjoy the product and stop making your brain rattle! :)

Reactions: Benito

Ren1818

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
I have the same issue on my 2016 MBP nTB. I'll give them a call one of th se days to set up a Genius Appt.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Noticed my replacement MacBook is doing it too, so taking it back in today to see what they say.

Ren1818

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
I'm not even sure that it's worth going in the have them replace the the screen for me. My AppleCare isn't up until December. I may wait until then to have them replace the screen. Hopefully they'll have a fix by then. hopefully all the old stock of their replacements screen housing will be gone and the fixed ones will be all they have then.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Noticed my replacement MacBook is doing it too, so taking it back in today to see what they say.

Please keep us inform, thanks!
[doublepost=1503133051][/doublepost]
I'm not even sure that it's worth going in the have them replace the the screen for me. My AppleCare isn't up until December. I may wait until then to have them replace the screen. Hopefully they'll have a fix by then. hopefully all the old stock of their replacements screen housing will be gone and the fixed ones will be all they have then.

Why do you think they will have a fix, if they didn't fixed it with the june refresh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.