Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Went back in today and they guy took it out back, took it apart, made sure all screws etc were done up but it still rattled He said if the display ones don't rattle he'll happily replace it (again). They didnt rattle so he gave me another brand new one.

This one doesn't rattle!

He said my 14 days starts again today so if it does start rattling or any other problems I can go get a new one until I'm satisfied. Awesome service overall and I'm finally rattle free.

domsodidavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Went back in today and they guy took it out back, took it apart, made sure all screws etc were done up but it still rattled He said if the display ones don't rattle he'll happily replace it (again). They didnt rattle so he gave me another brand new one.

This one doesn't rattle!

He said my 14 days starts again today so if it does start rattling or any other problems I can go get a new one until I'm satisfied. Awesome service overall and I'm finally rattle free.

I don't want to brother you but I had one week periods with my 2016 MBP 15 when it didn't do the rattle. Maybe the plastik stucked temporarily.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
I got my replacement mbp 2017 today which was replaced because of another problem. I realized this problem noise as soon as I get it on my hand when I push the screen I don't hear any noise.Do you think should I sent this back, sooner or later all models have this issue?

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
For what it's worth, I sold my 2016 as-is because it continued to make popping noises, which Apple could not figure out, then bought a 2017 model last month.

Day 1: "Down arrow" key did not work. As in it could not be pressed down. Apple replaced the top case after the part arrived 2.5 weeks later (it was a custom language).

1-2 weeks after having the repair done, I notice that I having to re-enter my password, fix typos a lot more than I used to... some light testing reveals that some of my keys are double firing... Waited another 2 weeks for a top case to arrive, and then got it replaced.

Keyboard finally seems to work fine, all is right with the world! Pick up my computer and hear a knock. Tilt it the other way and hear another knock. Realize it was the monitor knocking issue everyone is talking about on this thread...

It's the same display I've had this whole time, and apparently the techs taking it apart one too many times has now started making it knock back and forth. Went to the Apple Store again today, and they have to order the part because none are in stock... I guess it'll be another week or so before I pick up my computer and pray there's nothing wrong with it.. for once.
[doublepost=1506152565][/doublepost]
I got my replacement mbp 2017 today which was replaced because of another problem. I realized this problem noise as soon as I get it on my hand when I push the screen I don't hear any noise.Do you think should I sent this back, sooner or later all models have this issue?

For what it's worth, I've owned 7 Apple laptops from my first iBook G3 in 2002 until now. In 15 years, I'd never had a laptop that made that knocking around noise until my current one (2017 MBP 15"). Though I had heard a friend's 2015 MacBook make that noise once. Take it to the store, have them fix it.

Reactions: nameste

David_Mm

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Last july I bought a MBP Touch Bar 13" 2017. After use one week, the rattle sound showed up. Then I changed my unit for a new one.

The second unit after two hours use it turned off and did not turn it on again, no rattle sound. Then I changed my unit for a new one.

The last unit had the rattle sound. I asked for a reimbursement for my money.

Pay to 2.250€ for a top laptop and receive this, is a joke.

I dont trust in Apple anymore. Mi last MBP was a unit affected for a GPU massive problem. Best software, poor hardware...

I am ten years Mac user but, probably I´ll buy a Dell XPS 13.

Last edited:

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I have the 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch. It rattles when shaking or tilting it from side to side.

I have replaced It 4 times. Every time is something. its rattled 2 times. Rattled from the Touch Bar one time, and piping from the screen one time.

The latest one also has the shake rattle. I don't think its any point changing it anymore. It seems like almost all the Macs have it`?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I have the 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch. It rattles when shaking or tilting it from side to side.

I have replaced It 4 times. Every time is something. its rattled 2 times. Rattled from the Touch Bar one time, and piping from the screen one time.

The latest one also has the shake rattle. I don't think its any point changing it anymore. It seems like almost all the Macs have it`?

*All retina screen MBs, pretty much! Either stop shaking or accept it or buy a different computer!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've just been to the Genius Bar with my 2017 MacBook Pro which has the hinge popping/clicking noise. The guy took the machine to the back of the shop and came back a short while and asked me to listen as he shook the laptop. Lo and behold, I can hear a distinct rattling sound.

They've booked the machine in to have the display assembly replaced and I'm dropping it off for this next Tuesday. I wonder if this is at all linked to the hinge cracking/popping noise?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I've just been to the Genius Bar with my 2017 MacBook Pro which has the hinge popping/clicking noise. The guy took the machine to the back of the shop and came back a short while and asked me to listen as he shook the laptop. Lo and behold, I can hear a distinct rattling sound.

They've booked the machine in to have the display assembly replaced and I'm dropping it off for this next Tuesday. I wonder if this is at all linked to the hinge cracking/popping noise?

As this thread and the numerous YouTube videos show, the rattle/click sound heard in the display is a function of the piece of plastic sliding around. It makes as distinctive sound and has occurred since the first retina displays. Unless this is the same noise you are hearing when you open the hinge, I think they are different.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I wonder if this is at all linked to the hinge cracking/popping noise?

The rattling thing is a loose diffuser. Its completely harmless, has no negative effect, is not anything broken and repairing it is completely pointless since there is nothing wrong with your computer.

The cracking hinge occurs AFAIK because bottom part of the display assembly becomes loose inside with time, and sometimes the parts of plastic "jump", creating that distinct sound. Its also completely harmless and is an inherent minor defect of the display design. Repairing it doesn't make much sense since it will most likely come back. I'd only recommend doing it if you experience excessive popping that really disturbs you. Having isolated noises shortly after startup (when laptop is heating up) etc. is unfortunately rather "normal".

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The rattling thing is a loose diffuser. Its completely harmless, has no negative effect, is not anything broken and repairing it is completely pointless since there is nothing wrong with your computer.

The cracking hinge occurs AFAIK because bottom part of the display assembly becomes loose inside with time, and sometimes the parts of plastic "jump", creating that distinct sound. Its also completely harmless and is an inherent minor defect of the display design. Repairing it doesn't make much sense since it will most likely come back. I'd only recommend doing it if you experience excessive popping that really disturbs you. Having isolated noises shortly after startup (when laptop is heating up) etc. is unfortunately rather "normal".

It's not me who decided to repair the display, it was Apple themselves. I'll let them get on with it and see what the outcome is.

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015

Are you saying this is normal? and expected from 2600$ laptop? After 2 weeks of use?
Defect in display design? - more like somebody needs to get fired from engineering and testing teams.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Are you saying this is normal? and expected from 2600$ laptop? After 2 weeks of use?

The rattling sound is normal and expected. And it has nothing to do with the laptop's price. Being shaked around is not a laptop's primary function (or a function at all) and I don't see how any noise they might or might not make while shaken has any relevance on its quality or functionality. This is just subjective psychological perception of the user who seeks a problem in an empty room.

The popping sound is an unfortunate issue and yes, Apple's engineering is to blame on this one. I guess its a bit more difficult to catch since it usually develops some time after use, so even extensive testing might not have caught it. Then again, there is no such think as a perfect product, very few things are completely free of design flaws. The MBP 2016/2017 has plenty, other Apple products before it have plenty and of course any other computer in the industry has them as well.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The rattling sound is normal and expected. And it has nothing to do with the laptop's price. Being shaked around is not a laptop's primary function (or a function at all) and I don't see how any noise they might or might not make while shaken has any relevance on its quality or functionality. This is just subjective psychological perception of the user who seeks a problem in an empty room.

The popping sound is an unfortunate issue and yes, Apple's engineering is to blame on this one. I guess its a bit more difficult to catch since it usually develops some time after use, so even extensive testing might not have caught it. Then again, there is no such think as a perfect product, very few things are completely free of design flaws. The MBP 2016/2017 has plenty, other Apple products before it have plenty and of course any other computer in the industry has them as well.

I’m assuming the popping noise is something to do with the plastic parts of the hinge catching/rubbing against one another as the lid is opened (hence the initial ‘crack’ sound) and then as the machine heats and the plastic expands/contracts, the popping noise is those plastic parts moving again.

My main concern with the hinge cracking/popping is that it’ll very quickly become a more serious problem if the parts are facing undue stress because they aren’t fitted together properly.

I’ve seen too many laptops in the past fail due to the hinges coming apart.

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015

I've had many Macs, and they had issues yes. But 2017 model seems to have one too many.

- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use
- Cold start opening lid weird sounds
- Battery life subpar just using safari, I'm a 1 tab user and I see battery run down by a minute: 1% - 1m.
- Screen colors? Bluish? Compare with store items. Compared to 2014 mbpr it seems off.
- Battery indicator gets stuck, shows charging source even when on battery. Also % it gets stuck sometimes.
- Excessive battery loss when sleeping, 10% ~ 12h

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My main concern with the hinge cracking/popping is that it’ll very quickly become a more serious problem if the parts are facing undue stress because they aren’t fitted together properly.

It is possible that there are different issues, but the one I talk about is where the sound comes from the middle bottom section (if you press a finger on it, you'll usually notice that there is something loose, the parts don't connect tightly together). I also discussed this with an Apple technician who repairs our laptops and he says that its two glued sheets of plastic coming apart, probably due to heat and tension in that area. However, that is usually where it stops, this "delamination" doesn't spread further along the hinge. I've seen a lot of laptops that have that section of the display loose (I found it more difficult to find a unit that doesn't have it actually), but none of had any hinge etc. problems. I see it as a mildly annoying cosmetic issue in most cases. There are also instances of course when the crashing is very frequent and also very loud, and thats when it becomes a major problem. I certainly hope that Apple has addressed this in the 2018 model.

Reactions: moetekita
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.