Dear Apple: Ubiquity is killing your brand

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Apple and iOS has become synonymous with smartphones and tablets but has only one product per line of business. Therefor it’s the same hardware you see people with and it’s becoming ubiquitous. They are gorgeous products, they work seamlessly, but they’re everywhere. And for me it’s destroying the perception of brand value.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
That's right up there with Yogi Berra's "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Apple and iOS has become synonymous with smartphones and tablets but has only one product per line of business. Therefor it’s the same hardware you see people with and it’s becoming ubiquitous. They are gorgeous products, they work seamlessly, but they’re everywhere. And for me it’s destroying the perception of brand value.
So that I understand, 4 different versions of the Macbook Pro (13" non retina, 13" retina, 15" non retina and 15" retina, with non-retinas having different form factors than retinas), 2 different Macbook Air form factors, iPhone 4, 4S and 5 all on sale at the same time, and 2 different form factors of iPad....all those are ubiquitous because people enjoy them and yet you claim one product per line of business?? 4 Macbooks, 2 MBA's, 3 iPhones and 2 iPads and you say one product per line of business?

Perhaps you mean that the variety of products within each product line "look similar" so it visually appears the same hardware is everywhere?

Maybe a study of business would help. Most complain that products across a company's lines are not in keeping with any type of theme, appearance, quality level or some other factor. But complaining they're too much alike in appearance? I'd say that's a check in the box for Apple's design, business and marketing departments. And you failed to mention how interoperable the devices are, such as integration with Apple TV/iPad/Mac?

I'm not the Apple fanboy who claims the company and its products have no flaws, but the success of the very thing you pointed out is visible in the performance of the company overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
So the argument is, IS EVERYWHERE. I agree. One time I saw a one-foodstamp shy of a homeless guy with an iPhone!

But then I ask myself, will I jump ship? and by looking at the competition, and it's NO.

I suppose if one is bothered not being unique, is defined by the phone you carry, I understand the feeling.

AmazingGraceTx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
San Antonio Texas
I don't know. After having an android that didn't seem compatible with ANYTHING IOS, it's refreshing to finally have a phone that everyone not only has, but gets! I love that most of my contacts are iMessageable. I love that if need be, I can hand my phone to a friend, ask them to pull up an app, or send a text on my behalf, or take a picture and they'll know their way around my phone. If I want to be unique in this experience, that's what cases and custom ringtones and wallpapers are for. Other than that, it's all good.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Wait...let me understand.

It's a wonderful product, that is both beautiful and works seamlessly, but you're upset that it doesn't make you cool any more?

If one needs an electronic device to feel...er...special...

:rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I'm not a kid that needs a smartphone that is in the so called groove period or different generation. I don't share my phone, nor do I display it to show off, not to mention I don't care what others have. It needs to do what I want to do with it, the functions that I use most, and is easy on my eyes, and use with one hand, is mature looking, not to mention, I don't want some plastic curvy looking toy. ;)

I keep my phones around 2/4 years unless something comes out that is a must have, and thus far nothing is a must have for me. Just a good reliable smartphone.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
I actually prefer that more and more people I know have an apple product. Makes it so much easier to share my music, photos, and videos with them. Without the need for third party apps and hardware.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Brand value doesn't suffer because you feel less cool when people have the same toys as you

uh...yes it does depending on the brand. i'm not saying i agree with the OP's comment but brand equity can certainly suffer when the consumer base diversifies. apple very likely is ok with more average "non cool" people buying their products. however, this strategy has backfired on companies that relied on their exclusive, niche, or premium image.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Like the OP, I only want gadgets that are cutting edge and "cool"... provided no one else has them... If someone else has what I have, it's not cool anymore. I have to be cool. I am cool after all. I don't need to say that of course, just making the observation. But lately, owning an iPhone isn't as cool anymore.

Be cool Apple! For F sake be cool!

Please?

Being cool is the only reason I own a phone!

For me?

Thanks!

/Thread

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ubiquity is what makes the platform what it is. If a lot of people use the platform, then app developers are more likely to make apps for that platform. Look at the lack of apps for Blackberry OS 10, and Windows Phone. Why? Because they're not ubiquitous.

But hey, I guess because so few people use those platforms, that makes them "cool." In a hipster sort of way.

Even if you can't do things with them like view netflix movies, or instagram, or Vine, I guess you can be secure and smug in knowing that since practically no one else uses those phones, it somehow translates to "brand value." Which magically makes your phone so much better. Somehow.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Fine, there's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

I don't care who owns Apple stuff so long as it doesn't effect me in a negative way. Being that I write iOS stuff for a living, the more iPhones I see, the more potential customers I see.

I'm sorry Apple isn't hipster enough for you anymore.

-SC

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
uh...yes it does depending on the brand. i'm not saying i agree with the OP's comment but brand equity can certainly suffer when the consumer base diversifies. apple very likely is ok with more average "non cool" people buying their products. however, this strategy has backfired on companies that relied on their exclusive, niche, or premium image.
It's possible but Apple isn't a "luxury" brand

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
This is like saying revenue is killing your company/brand. Stop selling. Stop earning gross profits and stop being so darned agreeable!!

Sital

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2012
New England
Like the OP, I only want gadgets that are cutting edge and "cool"... provided no one else has them... If someone else has what I have, it's not cool anymore. I have to be cool. I am cool after all. I don't need to say that of course, just making the observation. But lately, owning an iPhone isn't as cool anymore.

Be cool Apple! For F sake be cool!

Please?

Being cool is the only reason I own a phone!

For me?

Thanks!

/Thread
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Wait....since we were thinking the exact same thing does that mean you're not cool anymore? DOES THAT MEAN I'M NOT COOL ANYMORE?????

:p

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I've tried a handful of different brand smartphones, and the iPhone is what I prefer. I couldn't care less about what's popular.

But having a large user base ultimately benefits the users.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like that a lot of people use iPhones. iMessage, FaceTime, etc would be pretty useless to me if no one else had it.

iPhone owners want Apple to do good for their own good. An iPhone would be about as useful as a dumb phone with Apple servers.

Things that wouldn't work (of the top of my head).

iMessage
FaceTime
Photostream
iCloud
App Store
Maps
iTunes
iTunes Match even home sharing
And oddly you wouldn't be able to log onto your home wifi without Apple servers as we found out when iOS 6 was released.

Probably a lot of other things. So lets hope everyone gets an iPhone! Lol