Dear Apple: waiting for uMBP 13" with matte screen

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
I have a white MB which really ought to be replaced by now. Is anyone else holding out?

All I want is a uMBP with 13" matte screen. That's it. If they offer it I will purchase it. But apparently glass is cool or something. I find it so annoying that I have avoided their entire MBP product line thus far. :cool:

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Not to start another Matte vs Glossy war, but Apple should let customers choose, and not be forced.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The MacBook is Apple's consumer product. While still a premium cost, it won't get new hardware soon.

It just got updated recently, and got a better screen, glass trackpad, unibody enclosure. The hardware is still decent. If you need screaming stuff, then look at the new MacBook Pro's on Tuesday.

I agree with the matte screen - Apple should offer it on their entire line.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
The MacBook is Apple's consumer product. While still a premium cost, it won't get new hardware soon.
Right - I won't buy another MB, only a uMPB. Ironically my old white MB's screen has less glare than the new MBP. That's what is standing between my $1100 and Apple's pocket. My wife's $320 netbook (albeit, PC) has a matte screen. Geez.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It's amazing how many commenters so far seem to have not read the OP entirely. She/He has a white MacBook now and wants to buy a 13" MBP if they ever come with a matte screen. Nothing about minding the glare of his/her current MB or wanting a new MB with better specs was mentioned. Anyhow . . .

It could happen--it got added to the 15" eventually, so maybe it will trickle down!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a white MB which really ought to be replaced by now. Is anyone else holding out?

All I want is a uMBP with 13" matte screen. That's it. If they offer it I will purchase it. But apparently glass is cool or something. I find it so annoying that I have avoided their entire MBP product line thus far. :cool:

Dear TheNorthWaves,

Dream on.

Best,
Steve jobs

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
yep - the specs of my old MB are actually fine by me. I read email and check the weather in the morning. I type some things at night. That's about it. It's just hard when you can't see your screen. :rolleyes:
It's like my wife's car with its tiny windows - I can't see out of it. What is the deal with new stuff. And in case you all think I'm an old geezer, I'm in my 20s - which I believe is apple's target market for the cool glass screens.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
yep - the specs of my old MB are actually fine by me. I read email and check the weather in the morning. I type some things at night. That's about it. It's just hard when you can't see your screen. :rolleyes:
It's like my wife's car with its tiny windows - I can't see out of it. What is the deal with new stuff. And in case you all think I'm an old geezer, I'm in my 20s - which I believe is apple's target market for the cool glass screens.
I think they like glass because of its status as a "pure" material. They like talking about the cachet of glass and metal enclosures. It's also nice in that it's easy to clean and is more sturdy. I'm so used to glass screens now I can't remember what it was like before it--but it's certainly not great in the sun, but really nothing but e-ink is. But they obviously listened to demand before as they came out with the matte 15" so anything is possible.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah - don't get me wrong, glassy screens are really nice in pitch black conditions, the colours really pop. But I rarely rarely use my computer in pitch black conditions (unless I'm watching a tv show in bed).

I'll always choose matte. So much easier on the eyes - I find glossy a bit too sharp/piercing, not to mention reflections.

kaiserben

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
South of France

+IPS screen 1600x900 + discrete GPU + i5 + SSD & HDD

==> PERFECT 13" LAPTOP:cool:

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
either way i'm going to buy a matte 15" i think, but we should petition for a 13" matte.

Hopefully it'll be addressed with the next refresh.

Ready for my Arrandale "BadBoy" Pro. Had a glassy unibody for two months, agree with Kilamate.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I don't think they are going to offer a choice on the 13" MBP ...

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
+IPS screen 1600x900 + discrete GPU + i5 + SSD & HDD

==> PERFECT 13" LAPTOP:cool:

yes, that would be amazing.. but I think you're asking a lot from apple..

All I care about is having a matte screen on the 13".. The specs always come second for me (screen first). so it can still have c2d with 9400m and I wouldn't care .. a matte screen is that important. but of course, any spec increases and improved features are always appreciated

kaiserben

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
South of France
What is so important for video/photo professional to have a matte screen?

From my point of view, I like the glassy screen of MBP and it's more easy to clean.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
What is so important for video/photo professional to have a matte screen?

From my point of view, I like the glassy screen of MBP and it's more easy to clean.
the colors on a glossy screen aren't true.
if you print out a photo, it won't look the same / as good as it does on paper as it does on your screen.

Saturn1217

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008

All I care about is having a matte screen on the 13".. The specs always come second for me (screen first). so it can still have c2d with 9400m and I wouldn't care .. a matte screen is that important. but of course, any spec increases and improved features are always appreciated
+ 1million

They could update the 13inch and have the only change be a matte screen option and I would be sorely tempted to sell my current computer for the upgrade. I want matte that much. I also think it just looks better than the glossy but that's obviously my opinion

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
+ 1million

They could update the 13inch and have the only change be a matte screen option and I would be sorely tempted to sell my current computer for the upgrade. I want matte that much. I also think it just looks better than the glossy but that's obviously my opinion
praying for a matte option on tuesday

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK

totally agree