Dear Apple: waiting for uMBP 13" with matte screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Apr 9, 2010.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I have a white MB which really ought to be replaced by now. Is anyone else holding out?

All I want is a uMBP with 13" matte screen. That's it. If they offer it I will purchase it. But apparently glass is cool or something. I find it so annoying that I have avoided their entire MBP product line thus far. :cool:

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Not to start another Matte vs Glossy war, but Apple should let customers choose, and not be forced.

3. kolax macrumors G3

The MacBook is Apple's consumer product. While still a premium cost, it won't get new hardware soon.

It just got updated recently, and got a better screen, glass trackpad, unibody enclosure. The hardware is still decent. If you need screaming stuff, then look at the new MacBook Pro's on Tuesday.

I agree with the matte screen - Apple should offer it on their entire line.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

5. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

Right - I won't buy another MB, only a uMPB. Ironically my old white MB's screen has less glare than the new MBP. That's what is standing between my $1100 and Apple's pocket. My wife's $320 netbook (albeit, PC) has a matte screen. Geez.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

+1... or get some screen film to put over the new uniwhitebook screen...

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'd love a real graphics card and the matte option on the 13", but I'm sure we won't see either.

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It's amazing how many commenters so far seem to have not read the OP entirely. She/He has a white MacBook now and wants to buy a 13" MBP if they ever come with a matte screen. Nothing about minding the glare of his/her current MB or wanting a new MB with better specs was mentioned. Anyhow . . .

It could happen--it got added to the 15" eventually, so maybe it will trickle down!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dear TheNorthWaves,

Dream on.

Best,
    Steve jobs

10. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

yep - the specs of my old MB are actually fine by me. I read email and check the weather in the morning. I type some things at night. That's about it. It's just hard when you can't see your screen. :rolleyes:
    It's like my wife's car with its tiny windows - I can't see out of it. What is the deal with new stuff. And in case you all think I'm an old geezer, I'm in my 20s - which I believe is apple's target market for the cool glass screens.

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think they like glass because of its status as a "pure" material. They like talking about the cachet of glass and metal enclosures. It's also nice in that it's easy to clean and is more sturdy. I'm so used to glass screens now I can't remember what it was like before it--but it's certainly not great in the sun, but really nothing but e-ink is. But they obviously listened to demand before as they came out with the matte 15" so anything is possible.

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

13. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah - don't get me wrong, glassy screens are really nice in pitch black conditions, the colours really pop. But I rarely rarely use my computer in pitch black conditions (unless I'm watching a tv show in bed).

I'll always choose matte. So much easier on the eyes - I find glossy a bit too sharp/piercing, not to mention reflections.

14. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

+IPS screen 1600x900 + discrete GPU + i5 + SSD & HDD

==> PERFECT 13" LAPTOP:cool:

15. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

either way i'm going to buy a matte 15" i think, but we should petition for a 13" matte.

Hopefully it'll be addressed with the next refresh.

Ready for my Arrandale "BadBoy" Pro. Had a glassy unibody for two months, agree with Kilamate.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't think they are going to offer a choice on the 13" MBP ...

17. PAC88 macrumors 6502

yes, that would be amazing.. but I think you're asking a lot from apple..

All I care about is having a matte screen on the 13".. The specs always come second for me (screen first). so it can still have c2d with 9400m and I wouldn't care .. a matte screen is that important. but of course, any spec increases and improved features are always appreciated

18. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

19. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

i personally like the glossy screen in low light settings

20. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

What is so important for video/photo professional to have a matte screen?

From my point of view, I like the glassy screen of MBP and it's more easy to clean.

21. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

the colors on a glossy screen aren't true.
    if you print out a photo, it won't look the same / as good as it does on paper as it does on your screen.

22. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

+ 1million

They could update the 13inch and have the only change be a matte screen option and I would be sorely tempted to sell my current computer for the upgrade. I want matte that much. I also think it just looks better than the glossy but that's obviously my opinion

23. whawhat macrumors 6502

praying for a matte option on tuesday

24. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

totally agree

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker