Dear Lord, I've scratched my MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iCeFuSiOn, Mar 13, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So last night there was a power outage and I had taken my MacBook Pro off the desk to use on the comfort of my sofa. When I brought it back downstairs, I accidentally rested it on the 3.5 mm mini-plug connector for my Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and didn't realize it until I moved the plug and noticed my notebook was on top of it (I was in near-complete darkness so I really couldn't see much).

Now, I've got a scratch on the bottom of my MacBook Pro that is a bit shinier than the rest of the enclosure... you know, the kind of scratch you get when metal meets metal. Is there anything I can use to try to conceal it (I know about the "conceal" paint product but I'm not sure if it'll work and I'm not about to spend 30 dollars to find out I have a bottle of useless paint). I had a bit of a "scuff" scratch on the battery which came off easily without any harm by using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser but I'm really not sure that it would fix that kind of scratch.

You can't really see it unless you're looking for it and you're under the right light, it's mainly located on the very edge of the bottom and very slightly below the audio-out jack... I'm probably just being paranoid about it, but I spent total $2,400 CAD for this baby and... well, in reality, I basically treat it like my baby. I think I might have OCD as well. :p :( Help!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll look into that. Just out of curiosity -- how many MacBook Pro owners here have a scratch or two on their notebook?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I don't have a MBP but my Powerbook has plenty. I keep it in a RadTech slip case but scratches happen.

5. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

How often do scratches happen, even to the most careful of individuals? Are they just a fact of life when it comes to the MacBook Pro?

6. slowpoke macrumors regular

slowpoke

No scratches, but some scuffs on the lid, and a few more on the underside.

I'm not bothered about the aesthetics. It's no big deal.

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I've had several macbook pros. The first one had a few small and hard to see scratches underneath, I still dont know how they got there. The other ones have had 0 scratches.

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the first scratch, now you can stop babying your MBP. :p

A little polish and elbow grease works wonders on tiny scratches. ;)

9. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Mine is absolutely new and I would go mad if I got a scratch on it. So, I ordered the Best Skins Ever set for it. I have it on my iPhone and my new MB as well. Time to put it on the MBP as well. BTW, I did get some scratches on the underside of the MB(white) - it scratches like anything. If you wipe it with some dust on it, you would see some scratches on the shiny polycarbonate. :(

P.S: I am unhealthily fussy about scratches on my prized possessions.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Like your sig!

To the OP, sorry you scratched your MBP.

11. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

About a month after I got my iPhone I decided to take off the protective case and when I got outta the car I dropped it on the rough concrete and now I have scratches on the metal rim so I know how you feel and hope you find a cure.

ChrisN

12. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had a protective case for my iphone, but it ruined the form/function/look of it so I deal with the scratches! ;)

13. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, so I've basically initiated myself into the "you've got a scratch, big deal, move on with the battle scars" club :p

14. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Concerned about a scratch on the bottom of your MBP? You, sir, are crazy. Why does it matter.

"That's a nice looking Macbook Pro you have there"
    "Look at the bottom, though!"
    *flips over MBP to reveal little surface scratch*
    "Wow, you are pathetic...

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

my mbp and my pb12 are all scratched up.. not from me from the previous owner.

The two laptops cost me a total of 1350 so I dont mind a few scratches:p

16. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

my mbp and my pb12 are all scratched up.. not from me from the previous owner.

The two laptops cost me a total of 1350 so I dont mind a few scratches:p

17. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I don't have any serious scratches on mine (work or home) but I know it's going to happen. I have the usual scuff marks from putting it in and out of bags, stuff like that. It's still in great shape but I'm not worrying about it.

They're still the best looking laptops on the market, bar non (IMO) and a couple of scratches just shows the world you actually use the thing.

Good for you, now you can stop worrying about it. The first scratch is always the worst, it's all downhill for you from here.

Sorry to hear about it all the same.

Cheers.

18. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Yeah! I agree... it's like losing virginity :D

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Got a small dent on the edge. Accidentally fix a bedpost when resting the computer on the bed. I can't see it normally, but I can definitely feel the dent and if I looks close enough I can tell.

20. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Well, perhaps not as much fun as that, but I understand your point.

21. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im actually quite surprised with the amount that I use my MacBook Pro that I don't have any more scratches on it, I've taken it to class almost every day for a month and a half and I've taken it to work with me, it gets lugged around inside of a sleeve & a good notebook carrying bag which has a harder shell on the outside, I must say it looks like it's brand new and I can't even tell there's a scratch on it unless I look for it (I have a bad habit of noticing these things... this is why I don't look for dead pixels anymore).

22. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

When mine scratch I just buy a new one :p

I'm trying to kick that habit though. Ordered a Best Skins Ever full body shield for my latest. Its the same as invisible shield, but half the cost. I highly recommend you do the same if tiny scratches bug you.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Does that think make the computer thicker or heavier?

If it does. I won't work for me. :rolleyes:

24. sjb macrumors regular

My Powerbook G4 has a small scratch on the bottom that I'm not quite sure how I got. I was like you and worried about it (I have a small case of OCD), but like most things, whatcha gonna do about it? My iPhone has a few small scratches, but at the end of the day, I think that most Apple products hold up well for as much as I (and I would assume 'us') use them.