Death Knell for ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spice weasel, Oct 20, 2009.

1. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I'm just looking at the Apple site now and reading up on the new releases (ordered myself a new i7 iMac!) and noticed that the page for the mini now includes a blurb about using it as an entertainment center. Seems like Apple is now pushing people towards getting a mini if they want an HTPC/media extender.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html

What do the rest of you think?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'll add to your fear.

The new Apple remote released today doesn't list the AppleTV as a supported device.

Yeah, I am concerned. I love my AppleTV and it is basically my portal to watch television.

3. spice weasel thread starter macrumors 65816

I hadn't really followed the old Mac mini specs, but did the previous versions have just a mini-DisplayPort, or did they include mini-DVI as well? I noticed the new ones have both.

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Does say any Apple product released since 2005 with an IR port though, which does include the Apple TV. Hopefully it works.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They have had them both since the previous update.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not a big fan of the AppleTV, but I wanted to throw in my .02. I don't think it's going away anytime soon because it's the perfect companion to the new Mini Server. If you have multiple TV's, you'd just set the server up to one of your TV's and hook up the AppleTV's to any other TV's you have around the house. The Mini Server would be like the base station for all the AppleTV's. Just a thought...

7. Bevz macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too... Keeping fingers crossed they don't forget about the ATV..
    If they update FrontRow next then it'll be time to worry!

8. mohanman macrumors regular

I highly doubt apple will forget some sort of living room device all together. Appletv, has Itunes, and if you guys have it too, I'm sure you're like me, spending few dollars here and there to rent movies, buy tv shows, music etc.. it makes revenue.. apple won't want that to stop.

Mo

9. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make any sense for Apple to abandon the Apple TV. If people want to stream their iTunes video form their computer to their TV, it makes much more sense to spend $230 on a TV-optimized device than $600+ on a general purpose computer that doesn't even have HDMI or component outputs.

At the same time, I'm confident Apple is interested in gaining control of online video the way they control online music, and getting video to the TV is an integral part of any viable video strategy. Part of the reason for Apple's record quarter was the revenue stream that comes from purchases and rentals of TV shows, movies, etc. If they sell Apple TV's, they have a line to a recurring revenue stream via user's living rooms.

I suspect we may see an evolution of the Apple TV. Maybe new hardware that contains features the old hardware doesn't support (much like advancements in the three generations of iPhones), but I think some sort of Apple TV is here to stay.

On a side note, anyone know what came of the month-or-so old report that said the Apple TV software and hardware team were putting in lots of overtime hours?

10. spice weasel thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting thought. I hadn't considered this, but it would make for a very nice home server/htpc setup. Expensive, but nice.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I’d say it’s premature to call it dead yet. If you believe the other rumors (which you might as well since rumors lately have been spot on), Apple is finishing up a multi-touch “magic” remote control for the Apple TV.

It would make sense that it will ship with the next Apple TV and as an accessory. However, I do expect the new aluminum remote works just fine with the Apple TV.

All it would take is an iTunes Movie or TV Show subscription service to resurrect the Apple TV.

January 2010 - CES Keynote - new Apple TV with 1080p running a custom chip built by PA Semi’s engineers and iTunes Movie/TV Show subscription service. :D I can dream, right?

12. yancey47 macrumors regular

There's a podcast put out today - a 30 second preview of the new Twilight movie - that is availbale to download in 1080p in addition to 720, 480, iphone, and ipod sizes. Never seen that in a podcast before. Kinda interesting I thought. Most Likely made more for the new iMacs but still. Tried to watch the 1080p version on the ATV but it wouldn't play. 720 was fine. The optimist in me says an update to the ATV might be coming soon with this 1080 podcast stuff.

by the way - I dont care about twilight.

13. JBaughb macrumors newbie

Thanks for adding that. I was getting worried.

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The Apple TV is here to stay. Unless someone figures out how to sell a Mini for $300 or less.

15. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

Appletv better hang around, I've just bought two in the last 3 months!

16. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I would guess one of two things:

Apple is about to kill AppleTV (Apple has been known to kill projects in the past).

or

They have something big on the horizon.

I know those are two general statements, but its true. Apple can not continue to make both the Mac mini and AppleTV and have them both be successful. Especially in light of their recent marketing (ie today) of the Mac mini.

17. paduck macrumors 6502

And add an HDMI port and component video output. Say what you will, if you want to hook it up to a TV, you really need those two outputs nowadays...

Not that it would be difficult to add, just that no other Apple product has it yet...

18. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't buy this at all. We have both an Apple TV and my home theater was based upon a 2 gHz Mini for about a year (it's been replaced by a quad-core hackintosh). They serve two different target audiences. Quite frankly, the Mini was really underpowered to serve as a multitasking HTPC. It could to individual things quite nicely, but not multitask AV needs.

19. gugy macrumors 68030

I am still hopeful that AppleTV will be updated by first quarter 2010.
    I like the MacMini concept for HTPC, I just think is too overkill $$$$ for what most users want.

Give me an AppleTV with 1080p, more power, 7.1 audio and external support for unlimited storage and I am in. Or create a solution that you do not need to have your Mac to stream content. Something locally, either by external HD support by the USB port or support for AEBS/TC.

I just hope Apple is listening to what consumers want. I think they are.

20. blackpond macrumors 6502a

It's a solid product as is. So long as the one I have doesn't stop working I don't really care if they stop selling them... I got mine and I'm happy with it.

21. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Sorry, but that's nonsense. The two products aren't even close - one is a $229 iTunes media extender.. the other is $600-$1000 computer. I have both products, and they compliment each other rather than compete.

22. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant to this one as well:

Increasing evidence that supports the discontinuation of the tv:

- Introduction of iTunes LP yet no support for where it would make the most sense: on an tv
    - Slew of launches today, without even a firmware update to tv
    - No reference to tv as supported by the new Apple remote
    - Reference of MacMini as an "Entertainment Center".
    - Addition of a VESA mount for the new iMac. The 27" iMac could replace a bedroom TV + tv and it could be one in the line of larger iMac's to come

Apple won't give up the living room but I think if we don't see an update (firmware or hardware) within the next quarter, we can call this idea dead.

Either Apple is working very hard on something that will knock our socks off -- which is why it's taking so long for an update that should have come with iTunes 9 -- or they're replacing the tv concept with the Mac Mini or something completely new like collaboration with TV manufacturers, an HDMI/DisplayPort equipped iPod dock or something we haven't thought of.

23. SimonGarlick macrumors member

Apple TV and New Remote

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but I've just used the Apple Store Chat, on the online store, to speak to an advisor, who had this to say:

Hi, my name is Sophie S. Welcome to Apple!

Hi, I just have a question about the new Apple Remote

Good morning.

How may I assist you today?

I'm happy to assist with that.

Is it compatible with Apple TV?

Yes, it is!

that's great, thanks. Also, are Apple TV's now being shipped with the new updated remote?

Yes, they are.

Great, thanks for your help.

24. SimonGarlick macrumors member

Ignore my last post, I've just had two different Customer Sales Advisors give me information that contradicts what I was told. Looks like Sophie S. won't make employee of the month this time around...

25. spice weasel thread starter macrumors 65816

Even though I posed the initial question of this thread - whether Apple's slightly revised marketing of the mini spells the end of the ATV - I actually tend to agree with those who believe that it does not. I think that Apple wants to compete in the home media market, and that the Mac mini is just not the way to do that. It's great for some people, but it is way too expensive and a bit too complicated for the average consumer who just wants a plug-and-play device.

However, I also think that Apple has let the ATV slide for too long. It's a great device, but it's slowly turning into the Hi-Fi in terms of marketing.

With the holidays just around the corner, I'd expect Apple to release something - new software and features at the very least, if not better hardware - in the coming weeks.

I'd also like to see an update to Front Row, something that worked like the current ATV GUI.