Death of the iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamied95, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

With the 'iPod' app now gone from the iPhone, and the fact there is no iPod touch in the iOS5 code mean that the iPod is now taking a major backseat, with maybe a silent release January time while iPhone and iPad are updated together (an iOS event, if you will) in September?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just because Apple hasn't put any reference to iPod5,1 in the iOS5 beta 1 doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe they got smart and removed the references.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Don't you know they put these references in there just for fun? Just add a string to some list that does nothing, and a whole lot of people freak out. And Apple developers are having a laugh.

4. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yet left their two biggest iOS products in the code? Ok...

5. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Is it possible that the iPod and iPhone strings are the same? I mean the hardware is almost identical, and with iMessages it just got a little bit closer.

Could there be a NoPhone string hidden in there somewhere? So from a software perspective, the iPod will literally be an iPhone without a phone.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its possible that the iPod Touch 5 has a special build that doesn't share the same source code as the rest of iOS. I don't know, I'm not an Apple person.

Nope, the two (three) versions of the iPhone 4 are all listed there and they are even closer then the iPod Touch and iPhone.