Death of the white Macbook :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HiFiGuy528, Sep 5, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Are you guys sad to see Apple is moving MacBooks and everything else away from white? You can instantly tell a laptop is an Mac when you see it in white, in most cases.

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I don't really like white things too much :cool:

I will be a little sad though to not see them around

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

First off, we no nothing about the new ones other than rumors so we can't guarantee that yet.

And I love the curvy design of the iMacs and MacBooks.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

everything else? Like the iPhone?

5. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

yah but everyone is making white computers now to try and imitate the macbook. You still have the white iphone!

6. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I like the white, but hopefully the new ones will be a lot more durable.

7. nyamanku Guest

nyamanku

Yeah, it's really too bad, if that's what they're going to do.
    They look so great - the essence of good design.
    And now Apple's going to make them all gross and gray/silver. Yuck.

8. ttech10 macrumors 6502

The lack of white MacBooks don't really bother me, I like the black look of them and couldn't stand the white. Though it's weird because I love the white iPhone and hated the black version...

9. iRebecca27 Suspended

iRebecca27

I love my white macbook, although it may soon become antique.

I am proud to be the owner of one of the first MacBooks, May 18, 2006.

10. nyamanku Guest

nyamanku

Ahaha, really? The black ones make me retch.
    I wonder why we have such strong feelings over something that trivial. I can't stand any of Apple's products being anything other than white.

Maybe I need a shrink or something.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yes!

If the rumors are true, I'm going to have a hard time deciding between buying one of this models and going with the update. :( The update is going to really have to be worth it for me to choose aluminum. I love white Apple products. All of my :apple: stuff and accessories are white.

That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten an iPod Classic yet. I'm wrestling my constant urge to upgrade against my love for the classic white.

12. embalmess macrumors member

Where did you hear this? Can you post the link?? Thanks!

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

seriously?????? It's all over this site... :eek:

14. chrisiw macrumors regular

Whatever they bring out, the system will be the best, i just hope that they dont have a sharp edge:)

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Durable? The MacBook is the most durable Apple laptop available.

Moving to aluminium would make it less durable.

16. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I love the white as also love the imac G4, I bought now in case they change the keyboard to Black, which in my eyes looks bad.

Time will tell how bad or good the next macbook will be.

17. CBear macrumors newbie

I really hope they don't go away from the White MB's, i think they're iconic to the feel of Apple

18. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

It will be sad to see them go (if that is the case) but just as exciting to see some new designs in my opinion.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um...you ask anyone if plastic or metal is more durable...guess what they are gonna say...

Aluminum is very strong. Anyone who thinks an alum laptop dents easy doesnt own one or is insanely careless. I posted this in another thread but I am roughly 225 pounds and I hopped out of bed one morning and my heel landed square on the lid of my macbook pro which was laying on my hardwood bedroom floor. Not one dent, bend, or scratch. I opened it expecting to see the screen broken from the pressure. Nothing. It looks just like it did when I took it out of the box.

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I won't be happy, but I won't be disappointed either. In the past, Apple's "trademark" with most of their products was the plastic casing in white. This was throughout their product lines: many different iPods, iMacs, iBooks, MacBooks, and I am sure that there are many more (keyboards, mice, ect.). It now seems like they are slowly starting to change their standard to the grey aluminum, just remember the speech that Jobs gave when he announced the Aluminum iMacs last summer. Some of the big things that are still white that need to be changed for this to be product-wide are the MacBooks, their mice, and the white iPhone 3G (it surprised me when they made that an option). Now so many of their products are aluminum: iPods, MBA, MBP, Mac Pro, iMac, iPhone (1st gen.), Mac Mini, keyboards, along with a few other small things. It is clear that this is the direction that Apple is going design wise.

But we don't know exactly when this update will happen, I don't see it happening until MWSF '09.

21. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

The white iPhone was a surprise to me. I think the reason behind it was that people don't think cell phones when they hear the Apple name. Making the iPhone in white may have people take a second look on the streets and ask themselves "is that an Apple cell phone"?

It would be so cool if they make the next aluminum MacBook painted in high gloss white. I know I am dreaming. :)

22. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

i LOVE the black look too!!! maybe Apple will go with a Black Aluminum (like have the internal casing as aluminum (like in the MBP) but when they laminate it (theres a clear laminate on the MBP) they could laminate it in Matte black :D

It would look awesome and really SHINY! :D

hopefully that's what tehy do cuz if they dont... i'll be really sad.

and hopefully we see the intel GMA X4500 or a better graphics card and a Centrino 2 chipset.

23. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That'd be awesome.

24. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

your also extremely lucky as well :D

25. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

yes kind of. But apple goes through fazes. First colors. Then white. Now Metal.

My dad really likes the traditional apple white. Thats why he bought the white iPhone (though in this case I much prefer the black)

I am also sad about the iPod designs. They are not bad, but the design of the 1G nano was soooo amazing.