Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Fazes...phases

yes kind of. But apple goes through fazes...

Please, "... apple goes through phases" :)

I like my white Macbook but I'd really like an MBP. I push this a bit too much and not having a separate (non-integrated) GPU really causes this puppy to whir up like a Dell.:D

Lookin' forward to the releases (whenever they come but it'd be really nice if they do come out next Tuesday) so I can take advantage of the free or rebate on the iPod. :)

SphericalPear

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
party pooper

sorry to have to disappoint you all.

apple is known to have historically bad quality in its cases - as matter of fact, neither the plasticbooks nor the aluminiumbooks turned out to be sufficiently durable. i have some info that apple is going towards a completely new design and material, something in between plastic and aluminium, but the jury is still out regarding the viability...

will keep you posted on anything that comes to my ears.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Um...you ask anyone if plastic or metal is more durable...guess what they are gonna say...

Aluminum is very strong. Anyone who thinks an alum laptop dents easy doesnt own one or is insanely careless. I posted this in another thread but I am roughly 225 pounds and I hopped out of bed one morning and my heel landed square on the lid of my macbook pro which was laying on my hardwood bedroom floor. Not one dent, bend, or scratch. I opened it expecting to see the screen broken from the pressure. Nothing. It looks just like it did when I took it out of the box.

I don't believe that at all.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
I know we all love the white Apple look... but think about it. Like yoyo said, Apple goes through phases:

No case at all (Apple 1)
Grey
Beige
Platinum [like beige but not] (and beige for the Mac Portable)
Beige (and black for PowerBooks)
Multicolour and clear translucent (and black for PowerBooks still)
White (white iBooks too now, still black and then aluminium for PowerBooks)
White part 2 (black and white MacBooks, aluminium MacBook Pro)
Aluminium (black and white MB, aluminium MBP and MBA)

... so going by that list... white would appear to have met its end of days certainly already for pro-ish things but now that the iMac has joined the aluminium casing crew I think that the white MacBook won't last past MacWorld 09.

And about the iPhone... I think that the plastic case may simply be a matter of signal boosting. The fact they brought it out in black and white makes sence, as they have not yet ended the black and white MacBook love affair.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
But we don't know exactly when this update will happen, I don't see it happening until MWSF '09.
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't say such scary things. I'm waiting for the new MacBooks and have just started my new study this month. Really, I need a new MacBook soon!

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Um...you ask anyone if plastic or metal is more durable...guess what they are gonna say...

Aluminum is very strong. Anyone who thinks an alum laptop dents easy doesnt own one or is insanely careless. I posted this in another thread but I am roughly 225 pounds and I hopped out of bed one morning and my heel landed square on the lid of my macbook pro which was laying on my hardwood bedroom floor. Not one dent, bend, or scratch. I opened it expecting to see the screen broken from the pressure. Nothing. It looks just like it did when I took it out of the box.

And then you woke up.......

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Unfortunately, miracles aren't included with MBP's for everyone ;) There are similar stories with MacBooks as well.

Coldacre

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
I really hope they don't go away from the White MB's, i think they're iconic to the feel of Apple

couldn't agree more. i was so glad I got my iMac just before the aluminum (I love how the yanks say a-LOO-ma-num!) ones were released.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The plastic MacBooks crack, so it is just good they move on to aluminium.

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
I liked the white Macbooks when I first decided I wanted a mac. I liked it for the longest time - I was convinced I'd get the second level macbook, and just upgrade the hard drive, so that it'd be the same machine as the blackbook, only white.

Well, I held off after hearing rumors about the aluminum macbook.

Since then, I've lost interest in the white. If I were to get a current macbook, it'd be the black one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.