Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi everyone, just one question.

I have an older MacBook Pro that the GPU just failed on, and the repair will cost more that the machine is worth, so I think that I'm just going to retire it. I plan on buying a new iMac whenever it's updated.

My question is how to deauthorize my iTunes media on the broken MBP, given that I can't do it on the computer itself, nor connect it to an external display. The rest of the hardware in the computer works (i.e. I can access its files through the network when it's turned on) if that's any help.

Is there a way to manage this online or something?

Thanks for any help!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi everyone, just one question.

I have an older MacBook Pro that the GPU just failed on, and the repair will cost more that the machine is worth, so I think that I'm just going to retire it. I plan on buying a new iMac whenever it's updated.

My question is how to deauthorize my iTunes media on the broken MBP, given that I can't do it on the computer itself, nor connect it to an external display. The rest of the hardware in the computer works (i.e. I can access its files through the network when it's turned on) if that's any help.

Is there a way to manage this online or something?

Thanks for any help!

You can use iTunes on any computer, log into the store, then in your account information there is a button "deauthorize all" which will deauthorize all your computers. On each computer that is working, you will have to authorize the computer the next time you are using iTunes.

I would only bother if you reached your limit of 5 authorized computers, or if your computer was stolen instead of broken.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
You can use iTunes on any computer, log into the store, then in your account information there is a button "deauthorize all" which will deauthorize all your computers. On each computer that is working, you will have to authorize the computer the next time you are using iTunes.

I would only bother if you reached your limit of 5 authorized computers, or if your computer was stolen instead of broken.

Alright, thanks! I actually thought about that after I posted. I'm fairly certain I've reached my limit of 5, but I'll probably just wait until I get the new machine to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.