Debating a purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmdeegan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

I've wanted a Mac off and on for a while, and I am back in an "on" phase and closer to pulling the trigger, but I wanted to do some research and get some opinions first...

first and foremost, I am a techie type, built my own home machines, and very used to Windows for the last decade.
    What I use my PCs for-web browsing, chat, multimedia (photos with Picasa, video with Adobe Premiere but nothing in the last year or so). I do burn DVD movies, as well as backups.

Obviously, the web and chat is basic and isn't going to be an issue Mac or PC. I wanted to know how iPhoto stacks up compared to Picasa, and what really compares to Adobe Premiere, and how well it stacks up? I was running Adobe on an AMD athlon 64x2, 2gb ram and it was pretty much the only app I could run when working on video/converting it etc.

I was looking at a Mac Book, closer to the $1000 price range, figured 2 gb RAM tho and the superdrive, but I've noticed people saying that the MB can struggle with video as compared to the MBP since there's a lack of video RAM. Video editing isn't something I think I'll do more than a couple times a month, so unless it's unbearably awful....

The other thought I had, as I travel a lot, was using the Macbook as my travel movie player, instead of a portable DVD player....I figured it would be OK for that and the screen probably very good for it, but figured I'd ask anyways.

the other question I had-if I purchase from Apple or Amazon or wherever-and I don't like the MB or whichever I choose-is there a good return policy/trial policy?

thanks

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I haven't used picassa, but iPhoto is very good. for video editing, you sound like iMovie would probably be the best for you, but try it out when you get the computer, and if it isn't enough then buy final cut express. video editing will not be a problem because of the lack of didicated VRAM, that will only make a difference if you are playing games, or doing 3d work.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just about the video: Some people posting here are just clueless. The videocard that you get in a MacBook Pro helps with 3D games. It doesn't make any difference with video, that is playing DVDs, h.264 movies, or editing videos yourself. These things require CPU power, and you can see that a MacBook comes within 10 percent of a MacBook Pro there.

So if you want to play videogames, get a MacBook Pro with a video card. If not, the MacBook graphics is fine.