Debating on getting an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so i dont have a cell phone at the moment and am thinking of getting one.

so i am thinking of getting the iphone. i am able to get a FAN of 24% off per month for service so you think it is a no brainer?

the other phone i am looking at is the shine but im iffy either way. i love my touch and think the gps and the ability to update apps and such is nice so now i am deciding if the extra grand or so over the 2 year period over the shine is worth it.

any thoughts?

id go with the 450min plan and 1500 texts for i believe 85/month then with the 24% fan, im looking at 65/month

so total cost for iphone is

299+65*24=1859+ 36 activation fee=1895 before taxes or ~2030w/taxes

for shine:
    shine is 50+42*24=1058+36=1094 before taxes or ~ 1170w/taxes

i just assumed a 7% tax for rough guess

thougts? is it worth it you think? i ask as once i get a phone, cant really go back and get an iphone if you know what i mean lol

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I got an iPhone because I really needed an upgrade from a Motorola L6 and an iPod 3rd Gen. I like the whole "iPod + phone + internet in your pocket" thing.

Since you already have the Touch, you pretty much know how to use the iPhone and what it can do.

Is having your Touch and Phone as one device worth the money for you?

For me, it is :)

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Well that depends on what your going to be doing with the phone, some power users do seem to prefer the Blackberry (Why I don't know). But for surfing, listening to music and all the available apps I wouldn't give up my iPhone. It obviously still has it's problems as you can see from a quick look around here, but it is IMO the best hybrid of a cell phone/ipod/crackberry available.

I've been using an iPhone since last June and upgraded on the 11th to the 3G and couldn't be happier. :)

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

the iphone just seems to me to have the most capabilities/potential out of any other phone imo

didnt consider one before as i was under contract with verizion but for the last month, i have not had a cell phone so now thinking this may be a good time to get one. only wish there was a 32gig version but owell lol

are they still hard to find these days? havent actually gone out to look at them yet

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It's definitely great having all these features in 1 device. I was hoping the 3G update would include a 32GB model for more video, but 16GB is enough for now and I didn't want to wait any longer. Not sure how the lines are now. It took me 3 times waiting in line to get a black and white.

Good luck getting yours.

6. outz macrumors 6502

I would definitely get an iPhone, but I would wait for them to sort out all of the current issues first.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well i got to thinking and while the iphone is a sweet gadget and i want one, i cant seem to justify it for these reasons

1) significantly more than a lg shine for instance due to data plan
    2) i have an ipod touch and i hardly ever use it for internet purposes....meaning i probably wouldnt utilize the data plan
    3) i use my ipod all the time but dont want to sacrifice phone batt for ipod usage if you know what i mean

i really want one but cant justify it at the moment. however, i still need a phone

first would you suggest att or verizon? which is the better network?

i am mainly looking at these phones now

att: the lg shine and lg vu.............anyone have thoughts on these?

verizon: lg chocolate or env2.........anyone with thoughts?

i know with verizon the chocolate is free with 2 year plan where all the other phone are roughly the same price

thanks for any reccomendations!

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

the chocolate sucks. and verizon customer service sucks.

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

10. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Verizon IS the better network, no way about it. I was a verizon customer that came to ATT for the iPhone. It's worth it to me because luckily my area has good ATT coverage, but I can easily say Verizon had less problems. Sometimes i'll lose service and go into Rogers Wireless (in Niagara Falls Area, RIGHT near canadian border) Never got that with Verizon, and the call quality on Verizon was better.

ATT is not bad by any means, but Verizon has more area covered, more 3G support, more everything really. With that said, if you are NOT getting an iPhone and don't plan on getting one or 2 years, go ahead and sign up with Verizon.

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't count your FAN discount working on the data portion of the plan, most do not. you will just get it applied to thet 39.99 portion which is voice.

as for verizon/at&t, i suggest you go with the network you get better coverage with. no point in getting a cell phone if you have to be in certain areas of the house to get reception

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh bummer that kinda changes things for the worse

i agree with the coverage issue though. fortunately, both are good here

13. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed, I switched from T-mobile because I didn't have great reception at home. My brother who had AT&T had reception anywhere in my house.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If you choose to get an iPhone, make sure you find out exactly what features it has/doesn't have, before purchase, to avoid coming back here saying "OMG it doesn't even have MMS?" :D

15. View macrumors regular

I'd say it's totally worth it IF you will be using its features!

Shine, in my opinion, is quite ugly, the User Interface and the middle navigation key thinggy suck.

Oh and that extra $30 a month is for the unlimited (aka 5GB) internet. So I think it's worth it if you're gonna use the internet :D

16. phaggard macrumors regular

The first thing anyone should do is see how good the web browser and email are on the Iphone. After that you won't want to use any other device again as long as you live.

17. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok i have narrowed it down to the iphone and samsung access. the mobile tv on the access is pretty amazing

such a hard decision

18. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha thanks, though not really helpin me decide:p

20. gkerr4 macrumors member

i probably wouldn't bother - not a t the full contract rate anyway - it simply isn't worth it.

I bought a 1st gen when they came out and returned it when I realised it simply wasn't worth the £800 ($1600) it ends up costing.

when they dropped the price , I bought (again) a 1st gen which I then hacked so I could put my £10 / month ($20) SIM card into - at this rate it is worth it and as a hacked one you can can some of the features that it should have had to start with - like MMS for example. The bluetooth stack still isn't fixable. nor is the pre-historic 2Mp camera (that made it to the 3g model!!)

There is a lot of fanaticism on these boards, but in all honesty - it has a lot of shortfalls - especially with the new v2.0 / 2.0.1 firmware which is terribly buggy and slow.

It is a cool device though - and make more sense if you are also a mac-user (I am - i use a macbook pro for work and play) - where it integrates with things like iPhoto

your choice though...

21. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Alright, well maybe this will help.... and this is serious.

Both myself and my girlfriend had At&t Tilt cell phones (also known as kaiser, or tytnII). We loved them, and they were about 1 million times better than anything else At&t sold... including the original iphone (due to lack of 3g and gps). However, we were tired of having to install new roms and hacking the tilt to get it to due the things we wanted.

There came a point where we both wanted phones that were GOOD as an actual cell phone.... you know, for dialing numbers and handling the call. We also still wanted a phone that would allow us to play tons of games, and do that GREAT as well. We had to have GPS, and we really wanted 3g because we browse the web on our phones. Well, the iphone does every bit of all of that PERFECTLY. We also needed something that would handle our calendars / appointments and act as a PDA, something that could have custom ringtones and graphics, and had tons of memory (or the ability to upgrade it) so that we could play music on it (like an mp3 player)...and we wanted something light weight and thin.

The iphone had all of that, and did all of it well. That's why we upgraded. Trust me, do it... and don't look back. Don't jailbreak it, just use it as it is... you'll love it. Are there some quirks right now? Sure, just like with every phone out there.... but the real question is, "Is it still worth upgrading to the iphone 3g"? Yes, it is.... absolutely 100%.

Reasons to upgrade to the iPhone 3g:
    - Browsing the internet, is really like browsing the web on an actual computer
    - Email, works great on the iphone. Viewing it is excellent, and actually fun.
    - BUILT IN 16GB (OR 8GB) HARD DRIVE!!!
    - BUILT IN IPOD TOUCH / VIDEO
    - Tons, and tons and tons of games. Oh, great graphics, like a PSP!
    - Built in GPS, works great as well (regardless of what some people say)
    - Alarm clock! Yes, it has an alarm clock & stop watch that work great. LOUD!
    - It really does actually work good as a PDA. It'll read all your documents fine.
    - APP STORE! There are tons of apps for about everything you can think of. Check out the app store online on APPLE.COM to see some of the thousands of apps. If you can think of it, you can just about get it on the iphone.
    - Threaded SMS text messaging that works great
    - Contact lists, with ability to assign ringtones and pictures
    - You can re-arrange the home screen and icons
    - SPEAKER PHONE! Loud and clear!
    - Wifi, works great. It actually picks up access points my laptop doesnt.
    - Bluetooth. Also works great.
    - VIBRATE SWITCH. :) You dont need to turn the phone on even, just flip it.
    - Very clear, and vibrant screen with excellent colors.
    - Cases, and screen protectors look better on the iphone than any toher phone i've ever had. Get an incase silicon black case for the iphone3g (not original iphone), and get an anti-glare screen protector (from the apple store), and you'll never be happier.
    - Slide to unlock, is awesome. Search youtube.
    - The camera (although on paper it looks small), actually takes FANTASTIC PICTURES. I had a 3 megapixel cam in my tilt, and the iphone takes better pictures. Go figure!
    - You can still email pictures to your friends using ##########@mms.whatever.com
    - Battery life is awesome. I got 7 hours of use and 22+ hours of standby, and still had 20% battery life left. Yes, im serious.
    - Charing only takes about 90 minutes or so.

Those are some of the ones i can think of off of the top of my head... i'll add to it if i think of anymore. Honestly, this thing does everything.... there's absolutely no reason to have to "think about it" or "debate".

I was in your shoes, and avoided the iphone forever. I talked all kinds of crap about it, and said I would and could never go without a windows mobile phone. Yet, here I am today never looking backwards.

There are some bugs, but nothing major. EVERYTHING works great. Occasional short lived lag with the keyboard, occasional program closing (which doesnt freeze... it just closes).... but that's just about it. I can name a dozen other phones that you might be thinking of getting that have the same or similar issues.

EVERY phone you can think of has its own set of problems, but the iphone has less I can promise you. Some people complain and complain on here, but ya know what.... they havent done enough research or something. I'm a regular on a few other mobile phone sites and every other phone has issues as well... many of them are way more severe than these. Apple is also good about fixing the issues, and they come out with updates pretty regularly (VERY unlike other cell phone companies).

Remember..... Nike. Ignore the haters.

Who couldn't use a: 16gb portable hard drive, PDA, Mp3 player / Ipod Video, handheld gaming system, alarm clock, cell phone, and all in one gadget (again thanks to the app store)? =)

On paper, it may not look like much. Other cell phones look great on paper, such as the At&t Tilt... but it all comes down to how the phone operates and this thing is a king among a village of terds. Hope that helps, and I really do hope you get the phone.

OH, and At&t is a pretty good network. I like them, and they have good customer service for the most part (compared to Verizon and other companies).

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Personally I avoid anything Samsung in the mobile world. I find Samsung's have below avoid RF (not that the iPhone 3g is great...iPhone 3g RF is average when compared to Blackberry/Sony Ericisson/Motorola) Samsung using their own propriety cables so you are going to be paying a premium to get the accessories. Plus since you mentioned costs in your original analysis of what phone to get, mobile TV will cost you an extra $15 a month in addition to any data or text plan you are getting. Mobile TV is a niche with very few channels available. If you wanted real mobile TV, slingbox is the way to go but as of right now, there is no iPhone version.

The iPhone 3g is a great device. Sure it has it's limitations like no MMS, copy/past etc etc. Tons of complaints about battery life with the iphone 3g. But hey it's a multimedia device with 3g. What windows smartphone has great battery life? (I've used them all, Tilt/Q Global/Blackjack 1 and 2 etc). Us current ATT members who used the Blackjack 1 remember how outrageously horrible the battery life was in that device. If people took 10 seconds to disable things like wifi/3g when not using the device, it would improve battery life tremendously. But people are lazy and that's why you have complaints.

But it you wanted a true multimedia cellular device (iPod/Phone/internet), nothing compares to the iPhone. That's why when any new multimedia cellular device gets release, the news media always refers to it as the "iPhone killer" Have you ever heard of anyone in the media referring to a "samsung instinct killer or a Verizon Voyager killer?

I personally carry 2 (tmobile BB Curve and ATT iPhone 3g) phones with me about 80 percent of the time. I know the iPhone is not perfect, but it's getting there.

23. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

update:

i went ahead and went with verizon. got the lg voyager and from every review ive read, its a very nice phone.

i liked how the voyager was 99 bucks, and was able to get a 50/month plan and no activation fee (usually 36 dollars)

considering i have a touch, i didnt need the iphone really....just reeeeallllyyyy wanted it lol. owell, ill be happy!

24. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Very, very well summarized! I was in exactly the same position (owned the Tilt) and reached exactly the same conclusion.