Decent 2.0 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Celeron, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I just moved my desk around (bought the wife a new one, needed to rearrange as a result) and now I don't have room for my subwoofer. As such, I need a nice set of 2.0 speakers for my desk. I'm having trouble finding a decent set. Most of the pairs I've seen thus far are cheap pieces of junk. The thing I despise the most is hard-wired cables. I want removable cables but this seems to be pretty difficult.

I'd be willing to spend up to $100 on a decent set.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm not having any luck finding any decent ones.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

no personal experience but it seems like a lot of people like the bose companion 2's

3. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took at look at those. They really don't sound that good for their $100 price tag. Also, the wires are hardwired.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

$100 puts a strain on a set of monitors, which is definitely the best solution.

However, these Creatives will be cheaper then the Bose and probably comparable sound.

6. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I like my m-audio studio pro 3 speakers - about $100, good midrange...though wouldn't be great for gaming or anything with a lot of bass (if you want that Thump, get a separate sub woofer).

7. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Creative GigaWorks T40 all the way!

Love this speaker besides my MBP.. Highly Recommended!

Attached Files:

8. steinlager macrumors regular

If you can spend an extra 50 bucks, you should get these:
    Logitech Z-10 2.0 Speakers
    [​IMG]

The sound is amazing. You'll notice an instant change in richness and substance to any music. Highly recommended (ONLY if you can raise your budget a little bit :p)

9. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I have these. Picked them up for $129. I know this is a little bit higher than what you want to spend, but once you hear these babies, you will be glad you spend the extra $$.

Attached Files:

10. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

After reading countless threads on the topic I also settled for those.

They are in the UPS truck for delivery as I write this, I'll post an update once I could test them :)

11. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those look like the M-Audio AV30s? Maybe the AV40s? In any case, I picked up the AV30s from BestBuy on Sunday for $95. I used them for a day or so until I noticed an annoying hum coming from the speakers even with no audio source connected. I tried changing the power outlet, to no effect. I returned them yesterday.

I also tried looking for those StudioPro3s but I can't find anyone locally that sell them. I'd like to buy local so I can return them if necessary.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Monitors are going to out do any actual computer speaker.

13. macrack macrumors newbie

I have heard good things about AudioEngine speakers but I have not heard them in person. Perhaps too expensive.

14. ceres macrumors regular

I also second the motion for active Monitors.
    I´d shell out a bit more and go for the Behringer MS40 that can be fed a digital signal directly from your Mac. You won´t be disappointed.

15. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those looks good, but damn, they are HUGE! I'd have to mount them to the wall I think if I got those. Perhaps more than I'm looking for in a computer speaker.

16. ceres macrumors regular

Given the sound they (re)produce and their digital input facilities I guess you can cope with their size. I used to own Logitechs Z10 bc I felt the way you do now. I HAD to unload the Z10 on ebay after "accidentally" listening to the Behringers (I just wanted to buy some RAM for my MP).
    The Z10 don´t even reach 1% of the sound quality the Behringers put out.
    Really, 1% MAX. It´s like day and night. You could always buy a cheap LOD and hook up your iPod to the Behringers :p

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What were wrong with the Creative GigaWorks? IF monitors are going to be too big for your needs.

18. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny you should mention those, I just picked up a pair of the Gigaworks T40s tonight at CircuitCity. My daughter is asleep right now so I can't really test them out with any sort of decent volume.

The only thing I don't like about them so far is that the power light is blue and its extremely bright.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wow...you are picky....

20. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

What monitors would have a digital in and have the option of including a sub?

I like bass ...

21. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Hi Ceres, just wondering what the advantage is of having a speaker as digital inputs versus an analogue one? My understanding so far is that you need drivers / software if you use a digital input and not for analogue. Are there any major benefits to having digital?

Thanks! :)

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Another vote for these although I went for the T20's as felt they looked a bit tidier beside the MBP as they are not as tall.

23. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

I wanted to buy T20 before,but strangely enough the supplier are going to supplying T40 instead and leaving out T20.

24. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I really loved the Harmon Kardon soundsticks as well as iSub. Too bad that thing does not work with Intel Macs which forced me to sell mine recently.

25. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I just bought a pair of Creative Inspire T-10s for my Mac Mini media centre... fantastic set of speakers for only £33 (about $65).

Excellent build quality, nice piano and matt black finish, good bass and crisp high-end. You could do a lot worse...