Decent wireless routers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Firestar, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Firestar, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm looking for a router to connect my soon-to-arrive computer to the internet (obviously). Looking for suggestions. Optimally, it has to be under or around $70 (so that rules out Airport Extreme).

I'll likely be using the computer about 20-30 feet away. However, if at all possible, it would be nice if it had the capability of reaching up a floor.

Dual band doesn't really matter.

Just really looking for a decent router that will work. I've looked at reviews for multiple routers, but there always seems to be something about one of the reviews that makes me not able to consider it.

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For range 5GHz isn't a good choice anyway. The AirPort Express is a pretty handy router and can generally be found used or even refurbished for around $70 - $80
    It also is an audio AirPlay player.

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

My advice is to get an Apple Airport Extreme of some kind, even if it's older.

A "$50-$70" or even a $90-$150 router can cause all sorts of hard to diagnose troubles. I've seen several bad "name brand" routers causing all sorts of grief.

Surprisingly, the $30 no-name brands seem to last longer than the name brand ones and have the decency to completely die after a few years rather than cause erratic and slow internet service for years.

Never seen any trouble with Airports.

Good luck!

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

For quite some time I used the Asus RT-N16 with Tomato firmware installed on it and it worked very well. I have over the years also had a number of DLink and Linksys routers crap the bed every bloody opportunity. Actually if I hadn't have upgraded my connection at home I'd probably still be using the Asus.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd either go with a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router with plenty of RAM or an Airport Extreme. Everything else is liable to get flakey.

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yep, my Airport Extreme is going on 4 years now.

7. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I've been looking at this. It has compatibility with DD-WRT/Tomato.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-N300-Gigabit-WNR3500L/dp/B002RYYZZS

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have a few friends with Netgear routers and they have no complaints. I didn't want to add a brand though that I have no personal experience with. I've used their network switches, but those were prosumer series so there could be hefty quality differences between them.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

10. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Already have. Like most other routers, it contains a percentage of 1 stars (eggs) that I do not appreciate.

11. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I'd go for the D-Link DIR-628 Wireless N Router its about $60.00 looks like it will do what you want and then some. I've never had a problem with any D-Link product, but I have had issues with Lynksys especially the older G band and below models.

I see you would like it to be able to reach other floors in your home as well. Unfortunately purchasing an access point (repeater) in addition to your wireless router at some point is always the best solution for that, and it also depends on the area you would like to be able to use.

12. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Love my airport extreme and my express....bought them as a package on craigslist. The Express was DOA but they never had registered it. I took it to Apple store and they replaced it for free under my Apple Care for my Macbook....winning. Only paid $150 for the pair.

13. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

That'd more likely be an addition. The only reason I would like to have multiple floors is because my brother is on the second floor most often and he owns a laptop.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Every product with enough ratings will have 1 star reviews. Remember that ~10% of electronics shipped out are DOA or have some sort of defect.

What do the reviews tell you on average? That's what is meaningful.

15. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yes, I understand. I'll probably look at them closer soon. Thanks.

16. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I almost forgot. Small Net Builder has quite a few in depth reviews kicking around which may be helpful for you.

17. Plutonius, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I recently got an ASUS RT-N56U router and I highly recommend it (It will cost you more than $70.00 but it's worth it (check out the reviews / specs)).

Edit: This router has issues with facetime and iMessage (I don't use them).

18. Grosseout macrumors newbie

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have this WGR614 Netgear router. I originally bought it for $50 many years ago (4-5). Now it's $33.

The router has been good for my needs. I have about 15 devices connected to it and I haven't experienced any issues. The range is also pretty decent. I haven't had problems with it needing a restart or anything like that (knock on wood). The speeds also allow me to reach 20Mb/s on my laptop where I use, so I'm really happy with that. For the price, it's a great deal. I haven't really stayed up to date with routers, but I'm sure you can find a good wireless N router for cheap. I may upgrade to N in the future since I transfer a lot of data over my local network, and 54 Mb/s is starting to show it's age. But basically, I'm just telling you that Netgear routers have been great for me. I wouldn't hesitate buying another.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

20. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

I'm trying out a Asus RT-n13u b1 and it is working as well as my TrendNet 652.

The Asus routers get good reviews from Cnet and others. After rebate, it is about $15-20.

It also has a USB port which can be configured for:
    - a HDD for file sharing
    - wireless printing/scanning for none wifi printers (works w/laptops not iPad)
    - suposedly, you can attach a 3g dongle for 3g broadband tethering connection
    (not an ad)