Decided the 4S wasn't for me (back to Android)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captnroger, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Captnroger macrumors regular

Well, after putting the 4S through it's paces for two weeks, I decided it wasn't the phone for me. What it really came down to is the display. Yes it is super sharp, but it's also a bit small for these old eyes. I was upgrade eligible on Sprint (EVO 4G user), and I had an iPhone on AT&T (3G) awhile back before switching carriers. I remember after switching from the 3G to the EVO thinking, "Dang, how did I tolerate that small screen?" Well in the end, I just couldn't live without the larger screen.

I liked the iPhone for Siri for sure (though I often found her "not available"), and I hope someday soon similar technology comes to the Android platform. I also missed the seemless Google contact/mail/calendar integration since I am a PC user and use these for all my scheduling and contacts. If/when the 5 comes out with a larger screen, I will give it a look for sure! Everything else I liked about the phone.

Wound up going to the Motorola Photon, mainly because they have a car dock for the GPS functionality and it's one of the biggest/fastest androids out there. I have to say, I really like the phone, and putting it into the car dock turns in into a GPS with turn-by-turn directions (Telenav). Pretty slick.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hey, it's not for everyone. And at least now you've got the first-hand experience to say so. ;)

3. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

anything bigger than the iphone's screen is too big for my pocket.

have fun with your plastic device.

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Well it's your decision to leave but I wouldn't have chosen the photon myself. My opinion though :).

5. b24pgg macrumors 65816

FWIW you can do this easily on the iPhone with Google Sync if you set up Gmail as an Exchange account

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Funny how people said the iPhone/screen was too big back in 2007...

7. juswest macrumors regular

You're worse than the fact that he or she felt the need to announce this. The majority of phones are plastic, and most people don't seem to give a damn.

8. salacious macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Fair play, you decided you didnt like it and now you will downgrade to android, I fare thee well...

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you should really compare the iPhone to some of Android devices.
    Take for example my Atrix which has a 4in screen. It is roughly the size of an iPhone but it has a larger screen. The iPhone has a lot of wasted space on it.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

As opposed to having fun with a glass device that has a tendency to shatter? :confused:

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

I actually prefer the larger screen. Even the 4.5" Infuse screen really isn't that big. I loved the 4.3" screen of the S2, it was the perfect size. Side by side in the store, I couldn't tell the difference between 4.3" and 4.5".

Enjoy your device!

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

How were you eligible being an Evo user? I bought my Evo on release day and I can't upgrade until next April.

Have you tried Vlingo? Not quite Siri, but it's close and very nice... Especially car mode.

----------

No need to be jerky about it.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Not that it's gonna matter now but it's worth noting that iOS most certainly DOES have seamless google mail/contacts/calendar integration

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This.

Is correct.:D

15. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Haha, it's pretty ridiculous that people are trying to make you feel bad that you're going back to Android, especially considering the fact that you tried it, didn't like it, and made a perfectly honest and non-Apple-degrading post about it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

16. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

It's funny, I love the portability of the iPhone, due to the 3.5" screen, but at times I really wish it were larger, like 4".

And this is coming from a guy who hates large phones, for instance, anything with a 4.3 or 4.5" screen is a laptop, not a cellphone.

It's hard to find that balance, perhaps 3.7"?

Anyways, I totally understand why you switched, shame though, iOS is a much more refined OS than Android, even though they both provide nearly the exact same functionality.

----------

Around here, having an opinion is totally acceptable...

...as long as it matches the opinion of the person reading it. :rolleyes:

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, no, as opposed to having a glass device that the majority of users jam into plastic in order for it not to shatter.

18. evilblob macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Obviously both phones have their goods and bads, but I congratulate you on trying them both and working out the good and bad points in both. At least you have experience, unlike most o the iPhone/Android bashers here.

19. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

I went to Razr to the iphone and thought it was too big back then.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. No sense in keeping a device that doesn't meet your needs.

21. gerelee macrumors newbie

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

LOL I am not sure why everyone is voting you down. How do they know if something bigger than 3.5in is too big for YOUR pockets. I agree with you, I don't have huge pockets either.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I've been accused of having deep pockets and short arms, but never small pockets.

To be honest, the SII is so light and thin you barely know it's there. The iPhone feels like a brick in your pocket compared to some phones.

24. juswest macrumors regular

Probably because once Apple uses a bigger screen, he'll be one of the many justifying it or saying how apple did the big screen in a classy way.

25. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Sounds like you may had found what works for you. Makes me wonder if the next iterations of iPhone will indeed offer larger screens along with the screens we have now :confused:

Android is definitely great for plenty of form factors available to choose from, that's for sure. On the flip side, I would say the popularity of the iPhone definitely shows that they found the form factor to fit what many seek. I would think a second size available would probably pull in the rest ;)

Good luck either way, hopefully we'll see you back :)