Decided to finally go caseless, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Marco123, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I took off my case to try on another and for once since owning every iphone since the 3G, I realised how refined and beautiful the ip5 is.
    I know I opening the phone up for more scratches and damage but I have finally realised that these phones really shouldn't be covered up.
    Jony Ives will be pleased!

2. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I bought a really nice speck case that I like more than any case i've ever hard. After using it for a day though I took it off. All i'm waiting for is a back & front screen protector and that is it.

3. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Much like I did with the 4/4s I will wait till I'm out of the "Honeymoon" stage before going caseless.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

5. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Put an iCarbon back and side protector and an anti glare screen protector on. I like having no case on it.

6. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

First time for me. I have gone for short periods in the past, but now I am almost a month without a case. Lovin it.

I have Phantom Skinz carbon fiber an a screen protector. That is all!

7. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Just decided to go naked myself. Went straight to the apple store after my decision and added apple care +. That takes care of that ! :p

8. batman75 macrumors 6502

I am planning to put a clear skin on it to provide scratch protection while retaining OEM look and size.

9. katai macrumors regular

I'm using phone naked now with screen protector and waiting for back protector. Don't know if I want applecare though.

10. Marco123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really wish they provided applecare+ in the UK.
    No idea why they don't.

11. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I decided to go caseless but I'm going to order a nice pouche/sleeve to put it in when I go out and about.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Me too. I ordered the SGP Crumena

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

about pouch/sleeve

I have a feeling that a pouch/sleeve can be worse than not having one. I had a nice Beza leather one for my iP5 and stopped using it after a few weeks. Here is what happens. I would put my phone in the pouch then into my pocket when I go out. It felt a bit silly because now the thing is inside a pocket in another pocket. Then when the phone rang, I would have to retrieve the pouch from my pocket, then the phone from the pouch. Most pouches I think fit the phone like a glove so it takes a bit of effort every time. Some pouches come with a pull tab to partially eject the phone to make it easier. Nevertheless, it is an additional step before you can use the phone and it seems that you are more likely to drop the phone when removing it from the pouch than from the pocket. In any case, no matter what you still have to remove the phone from the pouch to use it so the chance of dropping the phone while using it doesn't lessen with a pouch. Considering the added complication a pouch adds, and the additional risk it introduces, a pouch doesn't make sense to me.

14. katai macrumors regular

Did you guys get applecare before going caseless?

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I've always been caseless and I love it. I do however use a front and back screen protectors to avoid scratches.

16. Mufaddal macrumors member

I'm going completely naked. The phone is too beautiful and slim to put in a case, IMHO

But I did get AppleCare.

17. meistervu macrumors 65816

Do you mean Applecare Plus? I think Applecare comes standard with every phone for one year.

I read a few discussions regarding how Apple would replace your broken phone for about $225. Applecare Plus would cost $150 ($100 initially plus $50 per incident). I am debating whether that worths it.

18. inaka macrumors 6502

I've always used a bumper and no screen protector.
    With the iP5, I'm using it naked, no case, no screen protector.

It just feels perfect without any case to me.

19. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I'm done with cases (until my next case that is ... lol). Got a back skin and side skin on right now and it works just fine. Keeps the phone nice and slim and the way Jony intended it.

I thought about a sleeve, but that sort of defeats the purpose of going caseless. It also makes a serious pain in the arse to pull out and use.

20. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I discussed this with the sales rep at the apple store today when buying my i5. She confirmed what you said, that it would be $99 for applecare+ and $50 for each of 2 replacements allowed. After the second replacement due to damage it would be $200 for each additional replacement.

She also confirmed that if you go without Applecare then it's just $200 for a replacement. Because of this I'm going to opt out and if I break my phone I'll just shell out the extra $50 for the new one with hopes that I'll never need to.

Oh, and I'm going naked this go around as well. If I add up the amount of money I've spent on cases/screen protectors for my iPhones & Android phones over the past 6 years it would probably be equivalent to just buying ~3 iPhone 5's at full retail. I'm done with that crap.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

22. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

After going through two bad cases in the last couple weeks, I have decided to stay caseless.

I just slip my phone into my little ColcaSac sleeve before tossing it into my bag or something, but otherwise it just has a screen protector on it.

23. katai macrumors regular

I had the habit of wanting to change cases often when I had the 4 before. Don't remember how much i spent. Now back to iPhone I want to use phone caseless. I like how nice the 5 is. I'll get applecare+ soon.

24. meistervu macrumors 65816

I am leaning toward no case

I had a leather shell on my old iP4 mainly because I found it make the phone more comfortable to use.

The back of the iP5, its thinness, and its light weight make it a pleasure to use naked. To me the naked feel of the phone and its light weight is one of the most important feature of this phone, and putting it in a case will take that away. For that reason I am considering not using a case for now.

I may change my mind and use a leather shell later. I like the one I had on my iP4. It's a trade off between the look and feel of leather and a bit of protection against the look and feel of the naked phone. The iP5 is so thin so a bit of added thickness is less of a problem than the iP4.

So for me if I add a case, it can't be just for protection. It has to improve the phone in some way.

25. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

We'll see you all back here in a few weeks once you drop your phone and decide to put a case on.