Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achie25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Well after a very frustrating tenure with Pc's I have finally seen the light.

I am going to make the jump to the 15" Powerbook G4. This is a big move for me and I am a little nervous. Apple is pricey but it is appealing how it seems (from limited use) to be user friendly. Also everyone I know that has a MAC simply LOVES it. And a big perk is supposedly how secure it is. (If anyone could elaborate as to how so it would be appreciated).

Any advice as to how to make the leap easy and get the most out of joining the Apple family?

Thanks

YoYoMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Welcome to the fold Achie25, hope you find as much help on these forums as I have.

I think you'll find the switch easier then you think. ;)

Have fun!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome to the community achie25. :)

achie25 said:
And a big perk is supposedly how secure it is. (If anyone could elaborate as to how so it would be appreciated).

Macs are more secure on a few different levels. Firstly, you won't have to worry about viruses since they simply don't run on OSX (yet). Secondly, OSX handles RAM better which is one of the main reasons it won't crash as often as Windows. There are other reasons (like not having to use .DLLs) but the end story is the same, the system is much less likely to crash. Thirdly, if you do manage to crash something, the whole system doesn't usually go down but rather just the app with the problem. This means that if you're writing an essay in Word and Excel crashes, you can continue to write the essay, save the essay or do whatever you want with it completely problem free.

achie25 said:
Any advice as to how to make the leap easy and get the most out of joining the Apple family?

Apple has made a Switcher page just for you. The only thing it really fails to mention is that OSX loves RAM. It handles it much much better than Windows and therefore there is a benefit to getting more of it. 1GB would be great IMO. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I just switched about 3 months ago, you'll LOVE it! Infact, when I was in 6th grade I wrote a paper on why Windows was better (I'm beating myself up for that). Just yesterday I had to create a website for my HighSchool CICSO class (I'm the only Apple user in there,) so of course I had to make it completely about why Apple was better. I'm wondering about my grade though :confused:
As for the security, mostly it's just there hasn't been a virus yet made for Apple. I'm not saying it can't happen, because someday it will, but so far, so good. Some people will tell you it's just because there aren't enough Mac users for the virus programmer to "profit" from, but trust me, if it was as easy to make them as it was for windows, someone would have done it by now. But bottom line, Apple is better...period.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
EricNau said:
I just switched about 3 months ago, you'll LOVE it! Infact, when I was in 6th grade I wrote a paper on why Windows was better (I'm beating myself up for that). Just yesterday I had to create a website for my HighSchool CICSO class (I'm the only Apple user in there,) so of course I had to make it completely about why Apple was better. I'm wondering about my grade though :confused:
As for the security, mostly it's just there hasn't been a virus yet made for Apple. I'm not saying it can't happen, because someday it will, but so far, so good. Some people will tell you it's just because there aren't enough Mac users for the virus programmer to "profit" from, but trust me, if it was as easy to make them as it was for windows, someone would have done it by now. But bottom line, Apple is better...period.
Do you still have this 6th grade essay? Maybe you could post it for us all to enjoy :D

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
achie25 said:

Well, you're already doing the most important thing, which is reading these forums. The wealth of information here is amazing.
Another source that I have found helpful is MacWorld magazine - in addition, their website, http://www.macworld.com has practical tips & advice.

Lastly, if you haven't already ordered your PB & you can afford to wait, definitely wait until the Paris Expo (later this month) to see what is announced. You probably already knew that by reading the boards here, but I figure it doesn't hurt to mention it again.

Congrats in advance on a great decision - you're going to love your new PB!
Good luck! :)

achie25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Thank you all for the advice. I have been to the local Apple store several times as I am trying to educate myself before I decide to buy. They are very helpful and they were right about the feeling that owning a Mac really makes you a part of a community and I have gotten that feeling reading and now posting on this site.

Some advice was given to wait until after the PAris Expo to buy. However, being a teacher I don't want to miss out on the free ipod and printer. Does anyone know when that offer ends?

achie25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
nevermind I found that the offer expires the same day as the Expo. Is it worth it to wait or just take advantage of the free offers. I think I will probably just go ahead and get it this week.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by achie25
nevermind I found that the offer expires the same day as the Expo. Is it worth it to wait or just take advantage of the free offers. I think I will probably just go ahead and get it this week.

It's really a gamble, the free iPod and printer are a big plus, but then again at the Expo something new and great might come out, or it might now change at all. Probably either way you go, you'll hate yourself afterwards :(
By the way, if you get the free iPod mini, I think I read you can just take the $179 and put it towards a large iPod, I would definatly think about spending a little more and getting the new iPods with color screens! - Just a thought.

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
About those viruses & spyware:
because OSX is pure Unix, creating of viruses requires 2 things
1) extremely capable programmer
2) extremely stupid end user

If someone manages to make virus for mac, it won't do damage unless end user is dumb as rock. Deleting or modifying of system files requires every single time password of super-user and thus if prompt to delete something comes out of nowhere and asks password it is a virus. And spyware can't install itself automagically unlike in Windows. I feel pretty secure on this iBook. btw, I myself don't even know super-user password... i can't su myself in console, dunno why. And I don't even care, since there is nothing that needs altering. ;)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The current 15" 1.67 GHz PowerBook with the 128 MB VRAM card is way more computer than most people will ever really need, so you should be fine with your choice for a long and happy relationship.

The other option would be to go for the 12" SuperDrive PowerBook @ $1499 and purchase a good DVI external display.

Being a teacher,
You will of course qualify for the education store discounts and this also goes for any software you purchase. Depending on where you teach, you may even be able to get education versions of some software at bulk discount rates through your school.
You'll probably want to go ahead and get Microsoft Office for Mac, but you CAN get by without it.

There's a huge selection of freeware and shareware
applications through VersionTracker and MacUpdate.

You'll soon understand why so many rave about Mac OS X security.

There are ZERO effective viruses, no adware, no spyware and very little risk of malicious malware as long as your software comes from reliable sources.
Unlike Windows exe files, you must either authorize
any installation with your administrative password or
be logged on as adminstrator for drag and drop installs of mini applications.

You can also avoid the majority of Spam in your email by configuring MAIL to filter out anyone who is not in your address book.
You can then scan your filtered mail for any false positives before you delete them permanently.

No one really knows what Apple is going to release
at the Paris Expo, but you could wait until a few days before and then take advantage of the 14 day no questions asked return policy, if there was a major
PowerBook upgrade.
I'm thinking a new PowerMac is more likely or something completely different on the order of an iPhone.

Don't hold me to this though because rumors of Apple using a new low power dual core chip are
quite strong and that could lead to a new PowerBook.

If it were not for your interest in the iPod/Printer rebates, I'd say to wait 3 weeks just for peace of mind.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
Go for it, you won't regret it.

My only advice is that, no matter which Apple computer you choose, make sure you get 1GB of RAM at the minimum. The experience can get rather frustrating on 512MB.

I believe OS X is quite secure. It comes built-in with a really good firewall which even has the option of allowing your computer to operate in Stealth Mode, way cool! The Firewall is easily configured too.

When you first start usng Mac OS X just be patient. I know I felt a little restricted when I first started out which may have been due to my aprehension but eventually it just makes sense.

Enjoy and don't forget about the 1GB of RAM!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
First, congratulations on switching.

Secondly, upgrade to 1GB, as everybody else is suggesting.

My Mac mini is solid as a rock with a 5400RPM drive (same as PowerBooks) and 1GB RAM.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
achie25 said:

I'll add three quick things in here for you (from my own switching experience).

1. Think simply... in the first few days of using it I kept asking myself "How Do I..." because Windows systems we need to know Drop down menus, Tools, settings, technical aspects, and when we wanted to do something, it required fiddling around with menus / dialog boxes and such. Mac's just work... so I had to reframe my thinking...

Control Panel = System Preferences - only it is all much easier and better laid out.
Programs = applications - only instead of them all having different options / short cut keys / everything works beautifully!

Mac's allow for TRUE plug and play... and TRUE drag and drop! Just move things around and it all works.

2. Use these forums! They helped me out heaps! I became very intimate with how to get better SEARCH options.

3. Use macoshints forums as well. Mac OS X has sooo many tricks / features / cool shortcuts - and alot of these are mentioned by more experienced users in forums.

You won't regret switching mate! Enjoy it is great!
Welcome to the club (and the EDUC discounts are also great!)

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
It's ok not to like a one button mouse... it's ok to bring your 2 or 5 or 10 button :confused: mouse over from the Windows side. It'll work great on the mac!

The hardest thing for me when I switched was the one button mouse. $20 later (and a kensington 4 button scroll mouse later) and I'm happier than ever! :D

GrimStranger

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2005
I helped my friend (an EXTREMELY cute japanese chick) installing some software on her newly acquired iBook the other day and I, as a long time windows user who never owned a mac, must say that OSX is very intuitive and easy to use. I'm sure you'll have no trouble switching from windows to mac since you can bring some of your knowledge from pc along with the transition.

I'm about to dive into the mac land as well. Just waiting for the Paris expo before I make my move on a PB. Actually, I just picked up Programming in Obj-C today so I can do some "serious" work on it to justify the purchase.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
I nearly switched 2 years ago when I bought my current laptop but didn't. However, I'm now seriously considering switching but I won't do anything until after Expo in Paris.

I will be running Studio 8 on it, Office for Mac. Would an iBook suffice or am I best with a Powerbook?

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
fartheststar said:
It's ok not to like a one button mouse... it's ok to bring your 2 or 5 or 10 button :confused: mouse over from the Windows side. It'll work great on the mac!

The hardest thing for me when I switched was the one button mouse. $20 later (and a kensington 4 button scroll mouse later) and I'm happier than ever! :D

Sidetrack, provides up to 3 mouse buttons right on your beloved TrackPad...

My powerbook's trackpad just spoiled me, now I find myself cringing whenever I use dell trackpad (you know, the rugged, plastic ones.. *shudders*)

Welcome home, achie and euan!

Red Belly

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
Ireland
I switched about three weeks ago (14" ibook). It's a piece of cake. You'll love the machine, the OS, everything really does just work and the occasional 'glitch' I've come across were all a doddle to fix unlike windows systems probs which invariably result in hours of fiddling about with restarts etc. BTW, when I say 'glitch' I mean little errors I made as I experimented and one particular piece of software which works on OSX but is better designed for windows.

On the 'mouse' front I had planned to get a bluetooth mouse but I find the trackpad with two finger scrolling MUCH more intuitive than I thought it would be and I don't think I'll bother with a mouse.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
My new 12" ibook is arriving today!! Just made the switch from a pc as I fell in love with OSX whilst mucking around with pearPC on my XP Box. Today at work is going to be soooo long an boring until i get home and play with my new toy!!!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Welcome.
One magazine that has been of great value to me is iCreate. It´s an English magazine that has great tutorials and reviews (and hardly any ads)
It´s a bit pricy outside UK, but well worth it.
Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.