Deciding between 16GB and 32GB...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, Jun 10, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I am still using an iPhone 3G, but plan to upgrade to the iPhone 4 on launch day. I currently use only about 1GB of space on my iPhone 3G (8 GB).

That said, I don't have HD video on my 3G...or a 5mp camera (and I take a decent amount of photos with my phone...and I can expect I'll take even more since the camera is much improved on the iP4).

For the average user that is a little "snap happy" with photos and plans to take HD video clips here and there...do you guys think 16GB will be enough? I probably will store very little music on there...since I use my iPod Nano for all of my music.

Thoughts?

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

You will most likely be fine with a 16GB, but at the end of the day it's entirely up to you.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

16GB should suffice then. If you already use only 1GB, that leaves you with ~13GB for stuff, loads of space.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I think 16GB should be enough. I don't even use a GB on my 16GB iPhone because I don't use it to store music just pics really.

5. sleyeu macrumors 6502

hey i have 7gb filled on my iphone.

about 2.5 - 3gb of music, rising slowly :p and then the rest is apps.

I reckon i could remove some of the apps i dont play anymore. But how much does a 720p film take up in lets say, 10 mins of vid?

6. mingoglia macrumors 6502

16G will be fine for that. I'd imagine the file size of the images you'll be able to store several thousand images at 5mp.

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

16 will be fine based on what you've said. However, couple things to consider. You'll have this phone for about two years, so why not just spend the extra 100 for assurance in case you start adding a lot of music or video. Also, resale is always better the more space you have.

8. lnferno macrumors 6502

It's a lot easier to deal with having too much space than not enough.

9. OOC macrumors member

I've been wondering this myself. My Zune 32 (haha, I know) is about 5 or 6 years old and is finally starting to show its age. And I haven't been able to put any new music ever since I bought a MBP a couple years ago. So the iPhone will take place of it.

10. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I bought the 32GB 3Gs and really didn't need the space. In 11 months I've only used 3GB. That includes several music albums that I rarely listen to since I use my 80GB viPod, a couple of hundred photos and a few movies. I have only 3 pages of apps and only 2 games. Most of the apps are informational like the weather channel and AP news, etc. When I get the 4G, it will be the 16GB model and save the 100.00. It al depends on your individual needs.

11. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I have a 16gb GS and I have only .5 gigs free.

That being said I didn't have an ipod until 2 months ago so I have 12 gigs of music on my phone. I also didn't have a Mobile Me account until recently so I was using Natuba to dump pictures I took.

It has been annoying for me to have to manage and contemplate which pictures, songs, etc I need on my phone and which to store elsewhere. Therefore I will getting the 32gb model, and never have to worry of filling it up.

To double my capacity for 100 bucks just seems worth it.... for me.

Blonde Buddhist

12. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I have the 16 GB 3GS and it is full i am always having to delete stuff off. That said I had 7.25 GB of music on it and a few movies but the rest were all photos and videos and apps. I believe I am an average user and I used 16 GB pretty fast

13. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

If you have the time to update & sync your iPhone often, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with 16.... I've got a 32 right now, & it's full... But only because the space is there... If I remove the movies, probably too many, & some music, I'd be fine with 16, for me the extra $$ wasn't an issue, so since I had it, I chose to go there. 16 gb is a pretty good amount of space, as long as the HD videos are not huge. I'm afraid with iMovie on the phone, I'm gonna shoot video everywhere just to have footage to play with. I'm definitely going for 32gb again, but will probably limit the music & movies to leave space for HD video.

14. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Remember apps take up space too. I always go with the larger size so i have the space when i need it. I dont like to decide what music or videos I want. I want them all with me at all times.

15. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Unless you're someone who has to carry around every piece of music and photos, I think the 16GB should be fine. I have my iTunes pretty well namaged for syncing and only load the following on my Phone each sync:

• Last 2 months of photos + "Favorites" I always want with me
    • Podcasts - usually the last 3 of each podcast
    • A few playlists of favorite artists

Other than that, I just use Pandora for music and it still leaves plenty of space on my 8GB, so 16GB will be more than enough to have room to shoot some video.

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

is there a way to look on the phone to see your usage? or can that only be done in itunes? i keep forgetting to look at my exact usage when i'm home....

thanx

17. doegerle macrumors newbie

Does the amount of free space on the iPhone have any real correlation to how "snappy" the OS runs? I can't tell because I've always had less than 2GB left on mine since I plugged it in the first time after purchase to sync and activate.

18. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Not sure...I always check in iTunes when I sync my phone. That's the only place I've ever seen it.

19. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Very good question! I'd be interested in knowing this too. I've always heard that is the case with computers (and my overloaded work PC will attest to that), but I wonder if it is the same for the iPhone?

20. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

AppBox has the ability to show you how much RAM and storage space your using. It's cost is a couple bucks for 30-40 random ass apps.

21. quid squid macrumors regular

i'm going for the 32g version...thinking hd video might take up a bit more space. and since Simplify Media might not be an option anymore I might start putting music on my phone.

like someone said, it's easier to manage having more space than needed.

22. sjackson12 macrumors member

I'm the same boat, I only used about 6 GB and most of that was music anyway.

23. fishmoose macrumors 68000

If you can afford it the bigger version is always recommended, you can never have to much space can you?

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending how big your music library is and how much music/videos you want the 16GB should be more then enough.

I made the mistake of getting the 32GB 3Gs because I could afford it. the problem was the storage was over kill for my needs and it was a waste of money.

Just food for thought.

25. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Yep. Settings, General, About. It shows capacity and Available.