The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
England, UK.
Hello all,

I have a Series 6 Apple Watch, all boxed up and ready to be returned.

I've fancied getting an Apple Watch for some time, but never bothered as I didn't see much of a use case for it.

Can I ask you (all) what you use your Apple Watch for?

I'm no longer into running, or gym, so those uses would not really apply to me.

I'd love to keep the thing, but if it's just going to be another thing to have to charge, then there's really no point in keeping it.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

• Haha
Reactions: melancholy

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Essentially you're asking folks to throw darts at the wall and see if any hit inside the bullseye of things you would find useful.

I would suggest instead that you start with considering the myriad ways you already use your phone, particularly those which cause to carry your phone around your home with you, and then explore those functions on the watch.

I also suggest looking at each of the myriad apps on the watch and see which would be of use to you.

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
England, UK.
Essentially you're asking folks to throw darts at the wall and see if any hit inside the bullseye of things you would find useful.

I would suggest instead that you start with considering the myriad ways you already use your phone, particularly those which cause to carry your phone around your home with you, and then explore those functions on the watch.

I also suggest looking at each of the myriad apps on the watch and see which would be of use to you.

Thanks for the advice.

• Haha
Reactions: melancholy

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
To me, other than my iPhone, its my most important device. It encourages me to be active. It is on my wrist all the time, and I get my notifications while I work, and I dont have to reach for my phone. I can go for a run without my phone and still be in touch for emergencies etc. It's also a nice watch on my wrist, for you know, telling the time. At a glance on my wrist, I can see the temp, the weather outside, if I have any messages waiting. Its my favorite tech gadget other than my iPhone. Thats why I would keep it.

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
England, UK.
It sounds like the Watch could encourage you to become more active, since you said you’re no longer into running or the gym.

That’s what I was thinking.

However, what with COVID-19, I don’t want to get back into gym, only for them to close down again.

I was genuinely thinking along those lines, though.

Thanks.
[automerge]1602768881[/automerge]
To me, other than my iPhone, its my most important device. It encourages me to be active. It is on my wrist all the time, and I get my notifications while I work, and I dont have to reach for my phone. I can go for a run without my phone and still be in touch for emergencies etc. It's also a nice watch on my wrist, for you know, telling the time. At a glance on my wrist, I can see the temp, the weather outside, if I have any messages waiting. Its my favorite tech gadget other than my iPhone. Thats why I would keep it.

Thanks for the response, mate.

Much appreciated.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Hay this stuff is really really expensive and part of the deal is the return policy
do what you want

Reactions: SarahTX

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G3
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
As has been mentioned, the fitness aspect is really where the watch shines. Not knowing the reason you stopped running and going to the gym, it may be enough of a psychological push to get you back into it.

Up until this year, I've always had aluminum watches and considered them more of a fitness device than anything else. This year I went with titanium and have been stocking up on bands at a rather disturbing pace. Because of this, I see it as more of a fashion accessory with the added benefit of fitness/sleep tracking. I also have a history of heart problems so the ECG is a nice little behind-the-scenes feature for me.

I picked up biking earlier this year when my gym shut down and although I do distance rides more often than mountain biking, the fall detection being there is peace of mind should anything happen while I'm out on the trails by myself.

There's so many awesome features baked into this tiny little box. It's just a matter of educating yourself on what would be beneficial to you. If you can't find enough that applies to you to justify the cost, take it back.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Hello all,

I've fancied getting an Apple Watch for some time, but never bothered as I didn't see much of a use case for it.

I'd love to keep the thing, but if it's just going to be another thing to have to charge, then there's really no point in keeping it.

If you cant figure out what to use it for, you dont need it. I dont usually spend $500 on things I dont know what to do with, I wouldnt expect others to either.

LizpB

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I think you need to put it on and see, really. I bought mine for one thing only, to display the reading from my blood glucose sensor. i can have that on the face of the watch and not have to delve into my clothes or pockets to keep checking - especially out on a walk it has been invaluable. When I go to London I worry about having my phone on in front of me using directions - an open A-Z has always been the London thieves' way of knowing you aren't a local and likely to have money etc. on you. Without my phone I'd be lost and feel vulnerable, and the thought that I could casually glance at my watch instead is comforting. Or even have it reading directions to me. And also, when out and about juggling a phone in your hand while trying to do other things isn't very easy, particularly as the new phones are so big and easy to drop. Whilst having the phone and apple watch on other things have been useful, like Twitter replies - i don't have to go into twitter and 'like' someone's reply to me, I can hit like on the watch face. Great while working - a Twitter presence being part of my work. I'm sure you'd enjoy it - but i had a watch before and them got rid of it, before this function was available, and while I didn't have it I didn't miss it! It's certainly a luxury.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
However, what with COVID-19, I don’t want to get back into gym, only for them to close down again.

How about taking walks or runs around your neighborhood? If you do so with an outdoor walk or run workout on the watch, you get a map of the route you took, distance and duration of your walk/run, and your heartrate during the workout, though sometimes that last one can go wonky. This data gets saved on your phone, and you can review it and see if you've improved. Seeing these metrics have motivated me to keep up a regular exercise regime.

WitchDoktor

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2020
Hello all,

Greetings,

For me the AW3 had the killer features I wanted at the time - waterproofing and cellular. I love hiking in the backcountry and it was fantastic to have a GPS map via ViewRanger on my wrist instead of keeping my phone in my hip pocket.

AW4 added the fall detection and, again, for me the killer feature is the fall detection so I upgraded.

I skipped the AW5 since the aod wasn't that big of a deal for me.

I went with a AW6 for the blood oxygen monitoring. I'm not as active as I used to be, but all else equal I very much appreciate not being tethered to my phone. Having what I want on my phone be available on my watch has been a big game changer for me. With the very wide variety of bands, I can also change the look of the watch for most any occasion. It's now the only watch I wear.

YMMV but from a guy who was initially very ambivalent about having an AW to begin with, I've found that it slid into my life very easily and added value.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2018
I wasn't sold on the watch initially and didn't get one until S3. Almost returned it in the first week. Now I can't imagine not having it.

It's way more fast/convenient to see incoming notification on my wrist. I can answer calls without having my phone on me. The stand alerts keep me from being too sedentary. If I'm in a store and my hands are dirty I can still activate Apple Pay in seconds with a double tap from my knuckle. I work to close my exercise rings each day.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
One other big advantage to the watch...having Apple Pay on your wrist, especially in the COVID world. Since you should be wearing masks in stores, you would have to manually unlock your phone to pay. Not the quickest of maneuvers. However, a double tap on the side button on your wrist and a tap on the terminal with your watch and you are paid and on your way.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2015
One other big advantage to the watch...having Apple Pay on your wrist, especially in the COVID world. Since you should be wearing masks in stores, you would have to manually unlock your phone to pay. Not the quickest of maneuvers. However, a double tap on the side button on your wrist and a tap on the terminal with your watch and you are paid and on your way.

THIS!

Apple Pay is actually a VERY good reason to keep an Apple Watch. And my understanding (from listening to tech podcasts) is that Apple Pay works everywhere in the UK.

alien3dx

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2017
Hello all,

1. Notification. ** drive much easier . If very important then i can stop car and reply to the phone..
** walkie takie on drive don't do ya.

2. Timer.. ** this make rarely me using phone.

3. Walking 1 hour each 3 day in park. Just tracking

4. Tracking blood preasure sometime to health apps so easily if anything happen i check with doc.

5. Sleep sometimes wear sometimes not..

** no gymn no running or jogging.

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
England, UK.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

You’ve all been very helpful.

I have the Sport band, which I don’t find particularly comfortable. I may return it and try one of the Velcro bands. I imagine they must be much more comfortable?

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

mypyh4ooo

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
For me personally i just use for the notifications and to tell the time really.
[automerge]1602780998[/automerge]
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

You’ve all been very helpful.

I have the Sport band, which I don’t find particularly comfortable. I may return it and try one of the Velcro bands. I imagine they must be much more comfortable?
The sport loop is definitely more breathable and comfortable compared to the silicone bands for me especially. I would go into store and try a few one to see which one fits best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.