Decision Anxiety

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, May 6, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Well, if there is anybody in the world with decision anxiety then I have no qualms stating that I am one of them -- perhaps severely so. Even picking a restaurant and weighing the menu options of each can take over an hour, though that is typically only when going out to eat otherwise I'd be more concerned about that :). Heck, it took me months to pick a pair of headphones because I wanted the best sound for the money.

Then it comes to larger decisions. It took me six months to pick out my first car because of the reliability issues and different quirks of different models: I practically went through every model in my price range before deciding, which was time-consuming and even then I made sure I got it at my goal price and mileage which thankfully I did otherwise I may have went crazy :p. Now that I'm in the market again I keep going back and forth between cars, then once I think I've decided the other option suddenly sounds better. I think I've made a firm decision however, and now I'm just deciding which specific model of the vehicle to get as they all have their pros and cons. To be frank I've managed to turn buying a new vehicle into a broader issue of whether I'll be moving or whether it'd be money better-spent on travel. Don't tell my future wife but I am terrible with commitment (hopefully she'll be a sure enough decision in my mind, if so she's lucky ;).)

Let's go even broader: there are simply too many choices of where I could be living and what I could be doing that to be candid with the forum I resort to going the path of non-decisiveness and letting life take its course, which as many may know doesn't lead far. But if it takes me months to pick a car, I would not be surprised if it takes me years to pick the most suitable place to live or college to attend.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can see an example of this if I look at any product on Amazon and then the reviews. I can either see a product has a 90% rated 4-5, but if I go read the 1 and 2s, is some cases I'll decide against a product based on what is said. Plus you have to wonder about review bias and planted reviews. The path forward is figuring out how to evaluate based on something less than an exhausting basis, and also using your own judgement. Decades ago I wanted something other than a boring 1970's era car, I ended up looking at Fiats. When I read the reviews and asked people, I got either 1)I love them, or 2)They catch fire, they rust to pieces, or whatever you do don't buy one. In the end because I really liked the look of them, took a chance, bought a Fiat Spider and loved it, never had issues with it.

So, easy for me to say, but go with your instinct and temper it with external information without going overboard to such an extent that you paralyze yourself. But maybe being paralyzed is your preferred mode of living? Who am I to tell you, your anxiety is not good for you? ;)

3. MICHAELSD, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016

MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Very true Huntn, a 1-star review can break a product. I know if I see a single review about the product falling apart or not working after a week or two even if there are dozens of other reviews it'll push me away from that product.

There are pros and cons to every car, except maybe Tesla in my opinion. The Model S and X are no-compromise cars IMO, even though you will find issues with any car. Frankly there is not a single car you can research and not find dissatisfied owners pouring money into repair bills and reliability issues -- some just get very unlucky or do very poorly with maintenance. Part of it is going with you gut, but I might not have been happy if I bought my initial gut decision 2001 Porsche Boxster for my first car and put what I paid for it into repairs o_O. But what kid wouldn't want a Porsche Boxster for a first car when it's the same price as a 2007 Camry?

The Fiat Spider is a very cool car, even the more modern design of it. Do you still have your Spider?

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I owned a 1975 Fiat Spider 124, but now own a 1982 Fiat Spider 2000. I've done some work and had work done on it, but currently having the pains that a 40+ year old car can have. Taking it in to the shop, I think it has a timing issue.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I generally very decisive when it comes to issues at work, crisis in other people's lives, big important things I have the confidence to think through the options and assert myself, even in tough situations.

But it's the little things in life, especially pertaining to me that I get hung up on. I admit I'm fairly neurotic in general... Should I buy the farm raised never frozen salmon, or the wild caught but frozen salmon? One's more authentic, but then ruined by freezing processs. The other less authentic/natural, but not affected by freezing. Which paper towels do I buy, these ones are $.0036/sq ft but these are $.0027/sq ft but of lesser quality but the sheets are bigger. I consider myself financially comfortable I'm not so concerned about $1 price difference, it's the maximization of efficiency and quality.

I'm looking to buy a new car. But I keep making myself too busy to deal with the annoying salesmen, price negotiation, and the difficult option of picking 1 model out of hundreds and of that 1 model, one out of thousands colors, options, etc and individual vehicles for sale.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Have you tried a buying service? My insurance company USAA provides a car buying program that eliminates price negotiation. I assume that can be found in other outlets. The other aspects are not that hard, a color and a package. ;)

7. heehee, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I try not to be indecisive. If there are too many choices on a menu, I glance over it and put it down, when the waiter comes, I have to pick on the spot so I won't overthink.

If you look at most successful people, they tend to make decisions quickly because they are willing to fail and move on. Not should have, would have...

There are no best products, items, or whatever it is you are looking for, just pick one and enjoy, it's part of life.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Paralysis by analysis. I've got a mild case of that. I learned not to over think things.

Shakespeare wrote a cautionary tale about the dangers of over analyzing a situation. By the end of Hamlet, EVERYBODY died.o_O A more current example would be Vizzini from Princess Bride. I loved that movie.:cool::cool::cool: