iPhone X Decision day iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raqball, Feb 4, 2018.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

I have to decide today IF I want to make the leap to the X. I have the iPhone 8 (non plus) and today it's day 14 with AT&T.

I like the 8 well enough but the X keeps causing me to reconsider. I do dig the larger screen in what's basically the same sized phone but my concern is the lack of the home button and touchID. I am not sure if I'd like faceID. My phone sits flat on a desk for half the day. With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up.

With the X I do not think this is possible and the phone will need to be picked up to unlock it every single time. Considering I unlock it numerous times a day this is a concern. But, I also think this is where Apple is going and that the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone with a home button. Getting the X now could get me use to it going forward so if I upgrade to the 9 (or whatever) later this year I'd already be adjusted to gestures and the lack of touchID.

I am seriously conflicted and go back and forth daily on the decision.

I really wish Apple would go the route of Android and allow trusted places and devices. For instance if it knows it's connected to a Mac, give me the option to turn off faceID. Or if I am connected to a trusted network give the option to turn off faceID ect. Connected to an Apple Watch? Same. Trusted places works great on Android and I don't know why Apple did not include something similar.

Anyways, today is the day. Anyone using an X that perviously used an iPhone in the same manner as I do? If so your thoughts are appreciated.

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

A) this may not be true “last iPhone with Touch ID “ we may see a touch embedded cheaper iPhone alongside X+ this year. Who knows

B) if it is it’s not like iPhone8 will be hard to find in resell market just bc Apple stopped shipping Touch ID in devices moving forward

C) 8 is a fourth run of same design phone from 2014 with a glass back and changed color scheme.

You will also incur a restocking fee with att so gotta factor that in to cost of upgrading it’s like $35 and tax or something

I’d evaluate what lured you to 8 over x in first place see if it was smart or not for your use and go from there. If it’s just a grass is greener mentality you may be better off staying put.

I’d much rather have an X than 8 personally if money weren’t a problem in the equation. I have an X and love it

3. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not worried about the restocking fee and for AT&T it's now up to $45..

My only real concern is the constant unlocking process of the X. I want the larger screen of the X that's basically the same overall physical size device as the 8. I like big screens but I don't like ginormous phones.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I’d go for it then

Face ID has some quirks but not terrible

Did you get it through financing or outright?

If the latter I’d buy x from Apple store and if U miss 8 u still got a route without restocking fee

5. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

The 8 was purchased outright but if I make the change I am considering financing though AT&T. If I go with the X I'll take the whole 8 refund and put it down on the X. I should get back $655 plus tax on the 8 after the restocking fee. The X would be $1075 after tax. If I were to put down $700 on it my monthly payment would be about $10 a month for it. I could just buy it outright but in the interest of not shelling out more moola that's probably what I'll do.

I made a 10AM appointment at a local ATT store so we will see. My one and only concern with the X is unlocking it while it's laying flat as I do this quite often throughout the day. I suppose if I can get adjusted to it then I do benefit from a larger screen which I really like. Not sure I want to learn all the new swipes and power button presses but I don't foresee Apple ever going back to the home button. If they do at some point it will be an integrated in the screen solution but I don't see that tech becoming reliable enough for Apple to use it anytime in the next few years.

6. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I strongly advise against the X given this statement. I personally hate how I can't unlock my X on a flat surface. This will drive you crazy, I promise. Plus you only gain 20% of screen with the X versus the 8. It's the same width.

There is no 'learning curve' with the X with respect to gestures. It's all very intuitive and you won't miss the button when the day comes where you have to use an iPhone with no home button. I would hold onto your 8 and then when it breaks get whatever iPhone is available at that time. Hopefully by then Face ID will be more advanced and can unlock on a flat surface.

7. raqball, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah that's my concern... But I do have a Google Pixel 2 that I can't unlock while laying flat because the print reader is on the back. One bonus of it however is that I can set trusted places and devices where unlocking is not needed if the phone meets the trusted places / device requirements..

I did adjust to the Pixel 2 and having to pick it up to unlock, I read somewhere that there is a setting on the X that while being less secure, helps faceID unlock with less accuracy. I think it's called 'Require Attention For Face ID'. I also read a few remarks where some are saying to setup faceID with the phone at waste level and looking down at it so it captures the bottom portion of your face.

Any thoughts on those?

8. Electrojake macrumors newbie

Electrojake

I gladly spent a $1000 on the unintuitive, trouble prone (GPS issues), X phone.
    After a month of continued disappointment I turned it off. Threw it in my 'junk-draw' and joyfully went back to my wonderful iPhone 6S+

I however am confident that later this year Apple will release a sensible/cleaned-up, non-fanboy version of their X experiment (hopefully in a Plus size), and I will once again be standing in line with cash-in-hand.
    ---> I'm counting heavily that the changes seen in the second version will prove what an albatross the current version truly was.

Oh, and as for your question:
    YES, buy the current iPhone X. It's quite the experience!
    But keep your old phone handy so you can switch back after you've had enough of the Apple's Beta Testing process.

9. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I would not buy a plus size. I want smaller form factor with the larger screen. The X meets that and then some. I had the Essential PH1 and absolutely loved the form factor but the phone had other issues so I sold it. The PH1 is very similar to the X in overall size and screen. A phablet sized screen in a compact phone. Love it!

I don't really think the X is a fanboy phone. What do you want Apple to improve? Obviously the X is a gen 1 device so sure they will fix / improve things with the next gen.

My concerns are not about that and is simply the one I posted about. On the other hand I do not see Apple doing away with faceID only until the integrated sensors behind the screen are ready. There is one out now but from what I've read it's nowhere even close to being ready, never mind stable and accurate enough for Apple to use it. I assume we are 2-3 years away from that tech being mainstream. Until that tech becomes usable the iPhones will all use faceID and will all need to be picked up to unlock. If I can't deal with that then I'd need to be prepared to use the iPhone 8 for the next 2-3 years at least..

10. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

My thoughts are that neither of those things will alter the behavior of Face ID to a point where you can unlock with the phone on a flat surface unless you awkwardly hover your face over the screen.

In addition to not being able to unlock on a flat surface, there are other things going for the 8 over the X. Proper video viewing on YouTube in landscape due to the aspect ratio, battery percentage, DND, and alarm in the status bar. You also get wireless charging and dual speakers just like on the X. If I could go back I'd get the 8 over the X. Given your concerns, IMO, it's a no brainer to keep your 8.

11. raqball, Feb 4, 2018

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the response. Yes I do think unlocking when flat will be a pain but I did have to do this with several recent Android phones and while I wasn't thrilled, I did get use to it.

What I really like about the X is the larger screen in the form factor / size of the 8. The notch would not really bother me as the Essential PH1 had a similar notch (smaller) but still there nonetheless.

As far as faceID goes, I think we are stuck with it in the foreseeable future. I assume we are a few years away from the integrated print readers under the screen being usable. My choice is get use to faceID or keep the iPhone 8 for the next 2-3 years..

I am going to go play the X in store and decide. If I get the X and hate it I can always sell it and get another 8 down the line. I really do think I will like the larger screen as the phablet screen in a smaller phone was one of the things I absolutely loved about the Essential Phone..

12. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I have both devices; the X is worth it for the larger, better screen and face ID.

13. redleg6 macrumors newbie

Hey raqball, the iPhone X is my very first iPhone. I love it. I come from years of Blackberry and Android phones. Getting accustomed to the X was absolutely about a 30 minute process. If you've been an iPhone user for more than 10 minutes then you won't have a problem. As for unlocking, face ID works great. Having to pick the phone up is unnecessary as long as you don't mind entering in a 6 digit code while the phone is resting on it's back. The face ID works and works fast. If you're already inclined to change phones the X is a great phone. There will always be some that hate progress and moving forward. Very few liked the automobile at first.

14. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the response.

I assume the pin can be changed to 4 digit? I know on previous iPhones this was an option. Yes that is that I did with Androids when I could not use the trusted places or device features. Many times I'd just enter the pin and move along instead of picking it up and using the rear print sensor.

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

That dreadful flickering OLED screen in the X is a non starter. If you're sensitive to PWM screen flicker, the X OLED screen will make your life miserable.
    For me personally- the X is unusable because of its horrible flickering OLED screen. They all do it.

16. russelljg macrumors member

You’ve articulated why you wouldn’t want the X but can’t seem to find good reasons why you would, save the cash and wait to see what the ‘9’ brings.

17. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I've had several OLED phone screens in the past and my LG TV is OLED as well. I don't have those issues but it is a bummer that you do..

The reason I am against it is one:

1. faceID and unlocking while flat

The reasons I am considering it are:

1. The phablet screen in a smaller form factor
    2. I like OLED screens
    3. Get use to the new gestures and faceID as I don't see this changing going forward. I believe the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone to have a home button and the last for a while to have an integrated print sensor. Unless Apple puts it on the side / power button like Sony does (not going to happen) or once the under the screen readers are ready which is probably 2-3 years away.
    4. It's a flat out gorgeous phone.

18. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

Yes it can be changed to 4 digits.

19. GrumpyMom, Feb 4, 2018

GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I had that issue, too. I am fine on my Samsung S8+ display so I don’t know what’s up with the iPhone’s OLED pwm settings but it’s harsh.

Anyway, @raqball if you need to have your phone sitting on your desk, instead of having it flat, why not try a sturdy cell phone stand? I just bought one from Amazon made by OMOTON that is sturdy and adjustable. You can aim the phone toward your face. It can be adjusted to a pleasant viewing angle and there’s even the ability to plug your charger in while the phone is on this stand. I’ve been having trouble posting Amazon links recently but anyway, it’s not hard to find. There’s one that is not adjustable but I recommend the adjustable one. It’s got excellent ratings that are well deserved. I don’t think it got even one rating below four stars.

Okay let me try to link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=omoton+phone+stand

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because it's in the moment now. The next iPhone is approximately eight months away. Thats a long time to wait for something for we don't have much details about. The iPhone X is still a new iPhone, considering its only been released just over three months. And we also don't what release dates Apple has for the next iPhone either, which could be November again for all we know.

21. Electrojake macrumors newbie

Electrojake

If you like 'small' then you will love the iPhone X.
    One thing Apple did do well on the X is pack absolutely everything into an incredibly petite form factor.

It's not for me (too small & GPS unreliability) but I do think it is worth the $$$ just to have the experience.
    My advice is to buy it, tinker with it for a few days, and then start a new thread and tell us what you think. :apple: :)

22. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I love my X everything besides Face ID.

23. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

You have already said "faceID and unlocking while flat" will not be a problem for you so to be honest it sounds like you've made up your mind and just want people to agree with you :) Which is no bad thing btw.

24. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I'd refrain from calling it a phablet screen. It's the same width of any 4.7" iPhone, just longer.

25. russelljg macrumors member

If you’ve just bought a new phone that you ‘like well enough’ , then unless you’ve a compelling reason, lots of excess cash, or a millennial, nine months is not a long time to see what will no doubt be better then the X.