Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
If you’ve just bought a new phone that you ‘like well enough’ , then unless you’ve a compelling reason, lots of excess cash, or a millennial, nine months is not a long time to see what will no doubt be better then the X.

Not even remotely close to what I asked but thanks for your opinion on the matter.......

I went ahead and exchanged the 8 for the X. Put the 8 refund $701 and some change down on the X. Went 64GB Silver. I was just to much blown away by the screen. I'll adapt to faceID and so far when I raise the phone faceID recognizes my ugly mug if I move slight to the phone. We well see but so far I can say I do dig having the larger screen..
[doublepost=1517776237][/doublepost]If anyone wants a spring clip holster for a naked iPhone 6, 6S, 7 or 8 then message me.. Oh it's free and I'll even ship it to you for free.

This is for non plus iPhones listed above. It's not the Seidio one but the quality is just as good in my opinion.

Here is an image of it (phone not included - LOL)

s-l1600.jpg

Mods, if giving something away for free with free shipping is not allowed then please feel free to delete this post and accept my apologies. I'll post here once it's claimed so I don't get a ton of PM's.

toughouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2018
In my opinion, maybe the faceid recognition would bother you sometimes, but the gesture control on the phone, is amazing... It's way faster and convenient than the home button when you switch or close apps. Besides that, the screen is amazing too, it's like you are holding a screen on your hand instead of a phone, and OLED display performance is awesome.

Reactions: raqball

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In my opinion, maybe the faceid recognition would bother you sometimes, but the gesture control on the phone, is amazing... It's way faster and convenient than the home button when you switch or close apps. Besides that, the screen is amazing too, it's like you are holding a screen on your hand instead of a phone, and OLED display performance is awesome.

Gesture controls has a learning curve, but I really do like the implementation without the home button. It just makes the transition of multitasking appear quicker than having to double press the home button to invoke an action.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I have to decide today IF I want to make the leap to the X. I have the iPhone 8 (non plus) and today it's day 14 with AT&T.

I like the 8 well enough but the X keeps causing me to reconsider. I do dig the larger screen in what's basically the same sized phone but my concern is the lack of the home button and touchID. I am not sure if I'd like faceID. My phone sits flat on a desk for half the day. With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up.

With the X I do not think this is possible and the phone will need to be picked up to unlock it every single time. Considering I unlock it numerous times a day this is a concern. But, I also think this is where Apple is going and that the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone with a home button. Getting the X now could get me use to it going forward so if I upgrade to the 9 (or whatever) later this year I'd already be adjusted to gestures and the lack of touchID.

I am seriously conflicted and go back and forth daily on the decision.

I really wish Apple would go the route of Android and allow trusted places and devices. For instance if it knows it's connected to a Mac, give me the option to turn off faceID. Or if I am connected to a trusted network give the option to turn off faceID ect. Connected to an Apple Watch? Same. Trusted places works great on Android and I don't know why Apple did not include something similar.

Anyways, today is the day. Anyone using an X that perviously used an iPhone in the same manner as I do? If so your thoughts are appreciated.
If you need to make a post, about how you're thinking about getting the X, but you're not sure, then don't get it. It's quite obvious you're trying to find a compeling reason for it but so far, you havent.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
If you need to make a post, about how you're thinking about getting the X, but you're not sure, then don't get it. It's quite obvious you're trying to find a compeling reason for it but so far, you havent.

Maybe read the thread next time? Just a thought.. LOL

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
To me it sounds like you're struggling to come up with a reason, (and yes I read the thread), and @Smartass advice is solid. If you aren't sure enough,then hold back.

I think I was pretty clear in what my one and only concern was and in why I was considering it.

I had ONE concern and it was asking people who use the phone in the same manner as I described eg, unlocking while flat on a desk for their opinions. I had several reasons why I was considering it and I listed them as well. So no, I don't think you have read the thread nor did a few others who posted nonsensical responses to the question that I asked..

I'll quote myself here to avoid future confusion or similar type responses.

The reason I am against it is one:

1. faceID and unlocking while flat

The reasons I am considering it are:

1. The phablet screen in a smaller form factor
2. I like OLED screens
3. Get use to the new gestures and faceID as I don't see this changing going forward. I believe the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone to have a home button and the last for a while to have an integrated print sensor. Unless Apple puts it on the side / power button like Sony does (not going to happen) or once the under the screen readers are ready which is probably 2-3 years away.
4. It's a flat out gorgeous phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So no, I don't think you have read the threa
Actually, I did and I came away with someone trying to justify a purchase. That's fine, I think that's why where here but if you're unsure as I stated, its always best to step back and re-consider your options.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Actually, I did and I came away with someone trying to justify a purchase. That's fine, I think that's why where here but if you're unsure as I stated, its always best to step back and re-consider your options.

Actually you are wrong as it was the opposite. I was trying to talk myself out of it and hoped I got responses saying that faceID was terrible. I played with one previously in store but you can't test faceID under that scenario..

At any rate, the thread is moot as I purchased it. faceID works better than I expected it to and while I do have to slightly lift the phone to unlock its the same I had to do with the Pixel, Pixel 2 and the Essential Phone that had print readers on the back.

I do not miss the home button and the gestures are pretty intuitive..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was trying to talk myself out of it
So you wanted one, but didn't want one :confused:

Seems like what I was saying all along, but I'll amend my saying, given that you're looking for reasons not to buy it, then you shoudl step back and reconsider your options.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
So you wanted one, but didn't want one :confused:

Seems like what I was saying all along, but I'll amend my saying, given that you're looking for reasons not to buy it, then you shoudl step back and reconsider your options.

I was torn honestly which is what I thought the point of a forum was... To ask questions and see others opinions and thoughts on a specific question or topic.

I asked a very specific question and got a range of responses, some responses had NOTHING to do with my question.

I was waffling back and forth. I liked everything about the X except for the specific thing I inquired about. Unfortunately in my case that one issue area for me can't be tested in store and I don't know anyone with an X to where I could borrow their phone and test.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah 1K on a phone is a lot of moola so I was hoping to find others who also unlock frequently while the phone is flat and I did thanks to this thread. I got some great suggestions and comments and some that were nowhere even close to being what I asked. But it's the internet so that's expected I suppose. In the end I snagged it and also ordered the stand that was previously linked to in this thread as I think that will be helpful.

I do need to raise the phone to unlock as it won't when flat, as others correctly stated here in the thread. Bottom line is the thread was helpful and I appreciate the responses that stayed on topic and addressed my specific question..

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
If your iPhone is working and you have a later model (7 or higher), I'm not sure why you would buy a new phone right now. Apple is releasing as many as four new iPhones over the next eight months. I would wait and then make a quick decision in September.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
If your iPhone is working and you have a later model (7 or higher), I'm not sure why you would buy a new phone right now. Apple is releasing as many as four new iPhones over the next eight months. I would wait and then make a quick decision in September.

Sept is 8 months away which means release and availability is at least 9 months away, if not more.. Since when is it prudent to play the waiting game that far out? Heck if that's the case then might as well wait for the 2019's...

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Sept is 8 months away which means release and availability is at least 9 months away, if not more.. Since when is it prudent to play the waiting game that far out? Heck if that's the case then might as well wait for the 2019's...

1) Availability shouldn't really be an issue this time. iPhone 8s were immediately available, and X models are now easier to make. iPhones aren't really selling out immediately like they used to

2) Eight months seems a long way away, but remember that you may be owning this phone for the next three years or more. I'd wait for faster processors or new models at this point. Just me though

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
1) Availability shouldn't really be an issue this time. iPhone 8s were immediately available, and X models are now easier to make. iPhones aren't really selling out immediately like they used to

2) Eight months seems a long way away, but remember that you may be owning this phone for the next three years or more. I'd wait for faster processors or new models at this point. Just me though

1) It's been that way for a while now with some of the iPhones. I was never concerned about availability

2) I change phones yearly sometimes more frequently. Faster processors are meaningless at this point in the game. These phones are already faster than some full fledged computers.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
2) I change phones yearly sometimes more frequently. Faster processors are meaningless at this point in the game. These phones are already faster than some full fledged computers.

If that is the case, then go ahead and buy the X. However, the second sentence of this point suggests that you (and people generally) should really be changing phones a lot less frequently. When a new iPhone 6S works just as good for a majority of tasks as an iPhone X, it brings into question the value of upgrading now. Personally, holding my next iPhone for 3 to 4 years, so I'm gonna be very careful about which one I buy.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
FaceID can be a pain as others have already stated. On my desk at work I have the Samsung Fast Charger when the phone is on the stand its at a good angle and I don't have the pick the phone up to unlock it. That said any other time you will have to pick it up.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
FaceID can be a pain as others have already stated. On my desk at work I have the Samsung Fast Charger when the phone is on the stand its at a good angle and I don't have the pick the phone up to unlock it. That said any other time you will have to pick it up.

So far faceID has been working well for me. When it notices my mug I get the unlock icon. I did turn off 'Require Attention For Face ID' so I don't know how much that is helping. I've reverted back pretty fast to picking the phone up to unlock. Muscle memory left over from using Androids with the print sensor on the back I suppose. I did order the stand that was linked several posts back by @GrumpyMom and it's suppose to be here tomorrow.

I have one minor irk with faceID so far:

-- When faceID notices my mug why not instantly unlock? I don't dig the 2 step process of unlocking and then having to swipe. Maybe in the future this will be changed or at least an option given.

Overall digging the phone and I do believe it was a nice upgrade over the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Digger148

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
That's the beauty of the Apple upgrade program. I can get a newer phone every October if I choose to do so.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I strongly advise against the X given this statement. I personally hate how I can't unlock my X on a flat surface. This will drive you crazy, I promise. Plus you only gain 20% of screen with the X versus the 8. It's the same width.

There is no 'learning curve' with the X with respect to gestures. It's all very intuitive and you won't miss the button when the day comes where you have to use an iPhone with no home button. I would hold onto your 8 and then when it breaks get whatever iPhone is available at that time. Hopefully by then Face ID will be more advanced and can unlock on a flat surface.

Yeah leaving it on the surface and not being able to unlock it like Touch ID does have it drawbacks. However if I just hover over it, it unlocks. Doesn't drive me crazy.
[doublepost=1517844239][/doublepost]
So far faceID has been working well for me. When it notices my mug I get the unlock icon. I did turn off 'Require Attention For Face ID' so I don't know how much that is helping. I've reverted back pretty fast to picking the phone up to unlock. Muscle memory left over from using Androids with the print sensor on the back I suppose. I did order the stand that was linked several posts back by @GrumpyMom and it's suppose to be here tomorrow.

I have one minor irk with faceID so far:

-- When faceID notices my mug why not instantly unlock? I don't dig the 2 step process of unlocking and then having to swipe. Maybe in the future this will be changed or at least an option given.

Overall digging the phone and I do believe it was a nice upgrade over the iPhone 8.

I usually swipe before I point the phone to my face and then it starts to scan and unlock.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I usually swipe before I point the phone to my face and then it starts to scan and unlock.

Thanks for the tip! I'll start doing that and I just tested and it does work better than waiting for the unlock icon. I'd still prefer instant unlock after recognition. I mean if it notices it's me why make me swipe? Is there a reason Apple did this? Notifications maybe?

Reactions: Digger148

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I had no problem with Face ID but because of my concerns with using it (no need to get into that discussion here) I turned it off and use a 4 digit passcode. After raising to wake and swiping up which is necessary for both, I find it just as fast to enter the passcode as waiting for Face ID to open the phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for the tip! I'll start doing that and I just tested and it does work better than waiting for the unlock icon. I'd still prefer instant unlock after recognition. I mean if it notices it's me why make me swipe? Is there a reason Apple did this? Notifications maybe?
Notifications is exactly why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.