Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I get the White or Black MacBook

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
I have a MBP so I have no personal experience of this.

But I work for a company that has lots of Mac laptops around and I will say that I prefer the look of the BlackBook.

It also doesn't show the scratches as much as the white one. And as much as you will baby it, it will get scratched.

So there's my two cents.

Cheers.

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Use the extra few hundred dollars to buy something other than a paint job. Also fingerprints show up quite easily on Blackbook

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
My roommate just bought a Black one. I have a MBP.

I love the way the black one looks personally. I do hate the color tax too.

tiamat1990

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
New Zealand
Actually yeah I need help in this department as well.

I'm thinking of getting the Blackbook but I'm worried about the fingerprints. Now for people that have the Blackbook and an iPod with a chrome back, which one is worse when it comes to fingerprint marks? If the chrome back is worse then I'll be fine with the Blackbook.

Vapor

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Here is what i just did for the wife

Mid level white macbook 1299.00
4 gigs ram macsales.com 92.50

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Just checked the poll results and noticed that black was leading by one vote. So I've evened it up. Hope that helps.:)

Seriously, does it really matter? Save some money and get a white one. Then buy a black neoprene sleeve.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
The Black one looks nice from far away but after a while of use I can't stand to look at it when I'm the actual user. All of the Blackbooks I've seen close up from my friends have had greasy marks on the touchpad and the keys, especially the right side of the keyboard have also become oily and difficult to look at. I decided to go with the white Macbook and I've been happy with it...the keys, chassis, and trackpad still look pristine since the day I purchased it in early November 2007. In the end it all comes down to personal preference though and whether or not you want to pay the tax.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
black looks good but if you want it to stand out and show you have an apple product white is the one.
IMHO black shows up all the tiny grubby marks a hell of a lot more.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
my sisters blackbook is a disgusting fingerprint wasteland. my other sisters ibook form 4 years ago still looks white and doesnt look like disgusting fingerprint hands have been all over it. go white.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I have a MBP so I have no personal experience of this.

But I work for a company that has lots of Mac laptops around and I will say that I prefer the look of the BlackBook.

It also doesn't show the scratches as much as the white one. And as much as you will baby it, it will get scratched.

So there's my two cents.

Cheers.

I totally agree with this man.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
If you have the money you can go with the black.

But I think the black cost too much just for the little extra hard drive space.

soupyjnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Comparison

OK so I went onto http://www.apple.com/uk (Im from Northern Ireland) and looked at the main difference.

13 Inch White
2.0GHz

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 80GB hard drive1
* Combo drive

13 Inch Black
2.2 GHz

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* Double-layer SuperDrive
Main difference is it has a 2.2GHz and a 160 GB Hard drive... I can upgrade the hard drive to 160GB for £100.

So it would cost me £799.00 for the white mac with 160 GB hard drive, and it would cost me £949.00 with the 160 GH hard drive - so really im paying for a double layer superdrive, which wouldnt be much use to me, and a .2GHz upgrade - is it really worth it?

PS : I will be gettin educational discounts but im not at uni right now so I cant say how much it will be with education discounts so ive just put the Apple Store main prices on for now.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Don't consider the baseline White model because an extra $200 USD will get you better specs across the board. If you're deciding between White vs Black you should be looking at the 2.2Ghz, 1GB, 120GB, Superdrive White version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.