Decrease in color depth; Intel HD v 330M (bug/feature?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jof, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jof macrumors regular

To me, it strongly appears there are less colors rendered through the Intel HD than the 330M. Like the difference between 16bit and 24bit.

Anyone else have this? If you haven't already noticed it, and yours is the same, this will annoy you. Sorry.

On the plus side, I don't need bitninja's widget to tell me which mode it's in now :p

[[[[CLARIFICATION: It's "like" the difference between 16 and 24bit. It's definitely NOT 16bit though... I'm just using that phrasing for dramatic effect; it's actually quite subtle. Maybe the difference between 24bit and 32bit. Who knows. It's lame though, whatever it is]]]]

2. Cali3350 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

View that on Intel and if you see banding then yes, its 16 bit. If not, its all in your head.

3. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely 100% shows banding when using Intel HD only; as clear as day. Ha! How weird is that?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

5. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Same thing for you, huh? Yup. Totally weak.

Lucky my MBP runs the 330M pretty much all the time... otherwise I'd be short a few colors!

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Oh, no. I don't have one yet but it's in the mail. Does this mean even things like web page graphics are going to look crappy on intel only?

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

Wow, if what you guys are saying is true, this is ridiculous!

No banding on my ACD or my MBP 5,1 display (running the 9600m GT; should try it with the 9400m). But I'm too lazy to log out. :p

8. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

What the f...

They better bring out an update for that really soon.

9. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Here, this is a much better image. You should notice SIGNIFICANT quality difference between 32 and 16 bit.

Let us know.

[​IMG]

10. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed, it is ridiculous.

FYI I am currently viewing this on my 5,1 (the 6,2 is to my right) and it has no such problems in either 9600GT nor 9400M; this is a problem unique to the new MBPs AFAIK.

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

I did some further testing on my (older) hardware. If I turn the colors from millions to thousands, I see noticeable banding not only in that picture, but also on all the windows and even in the 'shadow' that's around the frontmost window in OS X. That would be another thing to look for.

[edit] Thanks for running that test, Jof!

12. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Not so clear. It's most clear on the colored image above, and the Finder grey bar.

13. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

NP.

The banding I see it nowhere near as bad as the "Thousands" mode. As I say, it's more like the difference between 16 and 24bit.

14. mac2x macrumors 65816

Jof, you can also look at the Graphics/Displays area of System Profiler:

Left is millions; right is thousands.

Attached Files:

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

Got it. :)

16. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I already looked at that. The Intel HD claims to be 32bit. That is absolutely not the case for me; definitely lower.

(Conversely, the 330M doesn't declare color depth, FYI)

[Edit: Fail moment; of course the 330M doesn't show a color depth... its "display" is actually the Intel HD]

17. mac2x macrumors 65816

This is crazy...well let's wait and see if anyone else notices the issue. Might be that the intel thing is defective, because 16 bit color = obsolete I'd think. :eek:

18. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Just to be clear, it's much more subtle than that; you'd hardly notice at first. But it definitely isn't full 32-bit. That's fo sho!

19. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Where is the color difference in the Vista image? On my system (PowerMac with a 2005 graphics card), I can see banding in the spectrum image at thousands and none at millions, but the Vista image looks about the same either way.

Window shadows are definitely softer at millions, but I'm not seeing banding.

20. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Me neither. Hence my comment above. The banding caused by the Intel HD chip is really most visible in the Finder bar.

And if it wasn't clear, this is an issue with 2010 MBPs not 2005 PowerMacs.

21. tekmoe macrumors 68000

22. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

You see it too? Cos I was thinking I was crazy for a minute.

(PS, red tint on hi-res is really annoying me. I think I'll get over it though)

23. splitpea macrumors 6502a

That was clear, but it sounded like it was being described as merely a color depth issue, which is something any of us can simulate using the Display prefs. Seemed worth a peek to me since I'm waiting for a MBP at the moment.

I'm assuming my video card is no better than the integrated graphics (maybe an incorrect assumption) and wondering how much of the visibility of the banding can be attributed to the color depth of the video card, how much to panel quality, and how much to sub-part processing...

24. Cali3350 macrumors regular

I tested the vista image on a *nix and windows system and there was a huge difference. Literally changed the entire image. Not sure why you guys wouldn't be seeing that at thousands of colors.

25. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha. But yeah, FWIW I also "simulated" it... but with my 5,1 running 10.5 (which allows color depth switching).

So in conclusion; damn weird. You can watch it happen as the 330M turns off and on (eg by watching a Finder winder as you open and close apps).