Dedicated Camera Button For Next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Certinfy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Having the up volume button as a camera button is all good and well on the iPhone 4 running iOS 5 but it seems weird having to hold the phone that way. Anyone think that maybe they could have a dedicated camera button for the next iPhone?

I must say it's something I've really missed, I mean all the other phones I've had over the last few years have all had a one, yet the iPhone doesn't :(

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Yeah I got the impression it might have one too. But what do you mean by "having to hold the phone that way"? Any camera button would be on the flip side from the volume button so you'd be using the same finger.

3. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

^ Agreed. What do you mean by hold it that way :confused:

I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't, I mean it would just be in the same place, it seems kinda pointless to put any button in when they can just use the volume one. Makes sense to me.

4. Certinfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It's just it seems 'weird' holding the phone so the left side is at the top, usually when I use a phone to take pictures the left side is at the bottom while the camera button is on the top. Nothing major but still...

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't think of a single example where Apple has added a physical button to one of their devices in a newer version.

6. shazzam macrumors regular

Nope. Volume but works just fine. Half press for AF would be nice though.

7. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

If you hold the phone with the left side on the bottom, surely your thumb on your left hand will be easily placed just to hit the up volume button?

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

agreed. but the OP has a point.. i think the camera will be one of the main selling points on iphone 5, so i think they want to solidify a physical button (v+) it will work just like or better than iphone 4

half press AF would be awesome! but i dont think they will incorporate that into the volume button :p

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

10. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Does this count?

Attached Files:

11. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Na, it will be the volume up button. Think about this as well. If those leaked pics of a new location for the flash pan out, holding the iPhone like you do with a physical button (I've tried it) keeps all your fingers off the back of the phone, so the new (proposed) flash location will not be a problem.

12. anush3 macrumors member

No way Apple would.
    I don't want my iPhone look like junky with many buttons. I think that's been a design principle of Apple...unibody constructions.

Think other way too...not everyone uses it for Camera purpose( or if some people use it for camera purpose < 5% time)...the button for them would be there just sitting.

13. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I personally have mixed feelings about the volume up button. I like it for taking landscape pictures but the majority of pictures I take are portrait. But that's why I can still press the screen.

14. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I actually find it easier to click the button in portrait.

15. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Yea it's more of an issue of when you're trying to take a picture with yourself included in it. But I don't do that often.

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It's pretty unlikely they'll add a new button. Steve Jobs is notoriously against buttons. I'm actually surprised he hasn't gotten rid of some more buttons by now, even though that would severely hamper the phone in my opinion.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPhones not gonna have any additional buttons

18. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Yup. What this guy said.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I had an old blackberry that had a quick launch button and you could customize what it did. I had it set so if I clicked once the camera opened, and if I held it in it did something else (I don't remember what). I have been missing that for years now since I switched to iPhone. But lately my mind is starting to swing towards not missing it so much. I think the crappy design of the home button on the iPhone 4 is giving me an aversion to buttons.

I think it's great you can finally use the volume button. And what's better is you have the CHOICE to use it or tap the screen. I can go either way on this one, but it's no longer an "issue" for me since we can use the volume buttons now. Really helps you to hold the phone steady while hitting the shutter.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I can't see a company like Apple who's design is based on "less is more" installing a dedicated camera button. Just my guess.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't get what people say about it being awkward. I've just tried holding the phone in landscape (both ways) and portrait and volume button is actually really well placed for a camera button.

I also highly doubt they will add another physical button to the phone.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha. Yes, yes it does.

You'll forgive me, though, if say that I find that to offer little proof that they'll do the same with the iPhone. :D

Nice bit of trivia, though. That'll be a Jeopardy question some day.

23. charliecc macrumors regular

When in lockscreen how about a hold the v+ button for 2 seconds to bring up the camera. When you're locked you can't change the vol anyway, it'd be a nice shortcut IMO.

24. fhd4 macrumors member

well ... Do you know what the good thing is about utilizing the volume button for the camera... ?

you can actually use the + button on the wired headset to take photos ...

" Say Cheese " ...

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They also added volume buttons to the iPod touch when they added the speakers. Apple will add buttons if it's warranted. It's questionable as to whether or not it'll be warranted in the new iPhone, but I personally wouldn't mind an extra button. Certainly wouldn't ruin the look IMO.