MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music streaming service Deezer has announced that voice control support for Apple HomePod and HomePod mini speakers is now available for Premium, HiFi, Family, and Student subscribers.

deezer-homepod-support.jpg

The update means all paying subscribers with iOS 14.3 and later and the latest software on HomePod can ask Siri to play any song from Deezer's global catalogue of 73 million tracks. Voice control also allows you to play specific tracks, artists, albums, favorites or playlists.

According to Deezer, to start using the service on HomePod or HomePod mini, users need to launch the Deezer app and connect their account to their speaker in settings. Alternately, to choose a default streaming service on HomePod, follow these steps:
  1. Launch the Home app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap the Home icon, select Settings, then choose the home that you want to edit.
  3. Tap your name under "People."
  4. Tap Default Service under "Media," then select the streaming service that you want to set to default.
If you haven’t set Deezer as your default, make sure to say "on Deezer" at the end of your command such as, "Hey Siri, play Bad Bunny on Deezer." Subscribers can also like or dislike tracks, play on repeat or shuffle. Note that Deezer on HomePod doesn't support podcasts, audiobooks, or live radio.
"Our listeners don't have to compromise on audio quality thanks to HomePod. HiFi users can still enjoy all of their favorite tunes in true lossless audio," said Nicolas Pinoteau, Director of Partnership Solutions at Deezer. "But, don't worry, even if you don't have HiFi, Deezer on Apple HomePod is the perfect at-home companion when you need to multitask or want to give your eyes and fingers a break."
Deezer on HomePod and HomePod mini is available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States. Deezer can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Deezer Announces Siri Voice Control Support for HomePod

Last edited:

soanis

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Europe
was gonna complain about Tidal being so late regarding this feature, but reading that AM is getting a hifi tier, I won't :)
Instead I'm about to cancel Tidal altogether

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Deezer is way cooler than Spotify.

Spotify: "Boohoo, open up Apple, we want Siri support for our app users."

Apple: Opens up API's for Shopify to be able to enable Siri

Spotify: Doesn't give their users Siri support, builds car radio.

----< future >----

Apple: Builds car

Spotify: "Boohoo, open up Apple, we want Continuous Play <future tech> from HomePod to CarPod for our users."

Apple: Opens up API's for Shopify to be able to enable Continuous Play

etc.

Last edited:

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Deezer lost me when they started playing random artists when selecting a specific artist (from their free account).

dude-x

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
New York City
In the audiophile world, there's a bit of recent controversy (well MQA. has always been controversial) when a reviewer decided to do some simple tests of MQA on Tidal and found that it degraded the signal. So some people are thinking of leaving Tidal and moving to Deezer or Qobuz (pronounced koh-buzz) or even Amazon HD music instead of Tidal to get CD quality or better music.

Spotify is planning to bring HiFi music this year, and if the rumors are true, so is Apple. But hopefully Apple also caters to the DAC people as well.

rforno

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2017
Still waiting for native support on HomePod for SiriusXM. AirPlay streaming is not a viable option for a voice-enabled smart speaker.

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2016
France
I’m sure all 8 Deezer subscribers are thrilled.
In France Deezer is used by many people...;)
They had a partnership with Orange a couple of years ago that can explain that ( and the fact that was French at the beginning , don't know if it is still the case...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie.D and hagar

pauloregan

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2017
The cynic in me suspects the Siri control feature is only available to apps that use Apple's payment system in the App Store.

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Would be an embarrassment for Apple if Siri turns out to work better with Deezer than AM. Can’t be worse.

Everytime I ask Siri to play a song in the car, she says I need to enable Mobile Data for music. Even if that song is offline available. If I explicitly say I want to play the downloaded version, she does it but only if I use very specific wording 🙃

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I’m sure all 8 Deezer subscribers are thrilled.
"I don't use it, so nobody else must be using it too."
Created in Paris, France, Deezer currently has 73 million licensed tracks in its library, with over 30,000 radio channels, 14 million monthly active users, and 7 million paid subscribers as of January 2019.
To be fair though...
In September 2020, Deezer joined a number of tech companies in the Coalition for App Fairness led by Epic Games to demand better conditions for the inclusion of their apps in the app stores of Apple and Google.

Reactions: AhRiHmAn

CarpalMac

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
They have. Pandora was the first service to implement. Crickets from Spotify....

Given the videos demonstrating how agile spotify development teams are, it is quite remarkable that all they seem to achieve is burying stuff I like behind menus / additional clicks. They are achingly slow to deliver anything useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.