Default Headphones Settings...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neowillendit, Oct 7, 2009.

1. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Hello again macrumors friends, have another question. When I insert my headphones for the first time after a restart the volume is always defaulted back to 50% no matter what level my headphones were on previously. I prefer about 25% volume because 50% is just way too loud, and I've tried configuring with the MBP quick access key on the keyboard, the menu bar, and the Sound/Output menu under System Preferences. No dice. :(

I searched with Google cache and I'm only one of many other users with this problem. Apple verifies with the most asinine answer Ive ever heard in my life: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24586 :eek:

I've repaired permissions, ran fcsk, and cleared PRAM.

Can anyone verify whether they had any luck fixing this as Apple is adamant to rectify? Can anyone offer any other advice?

Thank you in advance...:apple:

2. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

3. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

4. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

5. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I used to have trouble with my external iSight never remembering the mic input level. I would guess it's a similar bug. Sorry, it's not much help, other than something similar happened to someone else... :rolleyes:

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

TBH, Apple hasn't been able to come up with a good way of managing audio output and input since they started making laptops.

2 of my Apple laptops have had trouble figuring out when headphones were removed, to the point that you'd have to repeatedly plug/remove the headphones to get the sound to come through the speakers.

This is mostly a hardware issue, since a dust or lint in the headphone port will fool the sensor.

I switched to a USB headset/headphones on my new MBP, so I don't have that problem anymore, but now the sound input/output prefs reset every time I restart the computer, whether or not I have the headphones plugged in.

This has led to some real fun surprises, like restarting my laptop at 2am with my GF sleeping in the room, only to realize--*DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG*--it reverted back to internal speaker output.

So, to answer your question, sound-related annoyances have been an ongoing issue for a long time, and aren't likely to be resolved anytime soon.

At least the new MBP's don't randomly adjust the right and left balance for no reason like the older Powerbooks did! :D

8. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Thank you for the response "gr8tfly". I appreciate you at least empathizing.

"Rampant.A.I." I appreciate your response also, and I have a suggestion for you. There's a program called StartupSound PrefPane v.1.1b3 that will permanently adjust your startup "Dong" to any custom level, and can be found here:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425

No more waking your GF up... :cool: