Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siebenbroda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
Last week had to buy and return two new apple watches Series 6, 40mm. Got them at Best buy and both of them had defected silicone band. One band had an issue with the fixation mechanism and it didn’t clicked/locked and was loose. At first I thought ok it can happen, manufacturing defect so decided to return and order another one, but when a second watch happened to have exactly the same problem, I returned it the same day. And now I’m thinking whether to buy a third one or to wait for next year? Frustrating cause this was supposed to be a gift for my wife's Bday but this unpleasant situation kind of ruined that happy moment.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Mine is the series 6 stainless steel and have similar issue. I got the new Pride sport band and it won’t snap into place. The M/L size one works, while the S/M size one doesn’t.

PurBle

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2020
Mine is the series 6 stainless steel and have similar issue. I got the new Pride sport band and it won’t snap into place. The M/L size one works, while the S/M size one doesn’t.
It’s a fairly common issue with the pride bands. I went through four before I found one that worked.

Reactions: twanj

Siebenbroda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
In my case the defected one was the one that is only one size. Those of different length worked fine, both times. Which makes me think that the problem is with the whole batch of watch straps/bands.
[automerge]1602957642[/automerge]

Siebenbroda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
It’s a fairly common issue with the pride bands. I went through four before I found one that worked.
But when buying a new watch it is not something that you’d expect from the very beginning. I mean the bands/straps that come in the package should work from start. And It is not only replacing the straps and pay extra for something you already paid, but now the watch has to be returned as well cause it goes as a set.
[automerge]1602957938[/automerge]

Reactions: Expos of 1969

PurBle

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2020
But when buying a new watch it is not something that you’d expect from the very beginning. I mean the bands/straps that come in the package should work from start. And It is not only replacing the straps and pay extra for something you already paid, but now the watch has to be returned as well cause it goes as a set.
Oh for sure. I agree. For the first three straps I bought it was only one part that wouldn’t click in while the others fit perfectly, so all of them went back and I gave up on it. When I got the new series 6 I decided to try again and as I was in the store I managed to get the sales person to let me try the band with the watch right there and then and the same thing happened. So he got another band for me to try and that one worked. But it was a real pain and I think they should recognize by now that there is a problem with this band in particular, and also some others from the recent releases and allow the band to be changed without the watch.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well, it is Apple and that unfortunately is common with Apple these days. Quality control has been sacrificed at the alter of pure greed.

Siebenbroda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
The fact that this particular model is not available in store, so all the back and forth with returning and ordering a new one, plus the delivery time only ads up to the existing frustration. And frankly people in the store don’t care and can’t do much and it’s not their fault either, they just mark it as defected and sent it back. So, the fixing of this issue has to come from the manufacturer. But it seems that the solution to this issue is not gonna happen soon.
[automerge]1602968354[/automerge]

Siebenbroda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2020
It is really frustrating. But, you may consider to buy another model.
True, but I was looking for exactly this one in colour and size and bought 2 of them defected. How many watches should I buy before getting a good one? I think that buying experience of a premium brand product shouldn’t be based on guess or luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.