Defective iPod Return. Can I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac OS X Ocelot, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

My mother bought an 80GB ipod (the one right before the touch and classic came out) a few months ago from Best Buy. It's been f'd pretty much since a couple weeks after she got it. She's a retard and refused to take it back on the fear that she'd live a day without an ipod! Now she's going to give it to me if I can fix it.

My question is how long after you buy one can you take it back for a new one and would I have to take it to Best Buy or contact Apple to send it in. Since this is after the new models came out, what will happen. Or is it all far too late? On the one hand they sold her a defective product. On the other hand she's a complete ***** retard and didn't take it back long ago. Keep in mind that I know for fact this is a defective iPod and not user error or time wear.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You might get Best Buy to replace it. Worth a try, anyway.

But, in any event, it's still covered by Apple for 1 year. They're usually fairly quick on the turn around.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

take it back and tell her to get a life. There is more to the world than portable music.

She would have it on her computer, wouldn't she? Just get her to play it through the speakers.

4. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I know, I know. I'm pissed at her right now. Wasting so much money. Her problem is that she works on the line building Fords and Mazdas right now and I guess they like to have headphones on all day long to 1) drown the noise (they also have to wear earplugs with headphones over them if they want) and 2) to keep from boredom I guess.

Also, she has a billion christian podcasts that she has to have on all day or she'll go to hell or something. Literally all day. At work, while watching tv/movies, or anything else she's doing it's on. At home she has one of those speaker docks that you plug your ipod into.

I guess she can't live a couple days without an iPod (curse the day I bought her her original one for xmas a few years ago).

5. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

As soon as she gets her new one in the mail she'll give me the old one and I'll contact first Best Buy and if I have to Apple. IF it's still covered, will they repair it or give me a new one? If new one do they have older models waiting or do I get a new model?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If you return it to Apple, they will take the broken one, diagnose it, and either fix it up, or (more likely) just give you a new one. They won't give you the broken one back; they'll probably fix it up and put it on the refurbs list.

7. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Thanks. I found with some digging on their support site that the warranty lasts one year and there's no shipping fee within 180 days of buying the thing. According to receipt this was Aug 10th so we're all clear. I sent a repair request in and as soon as we get the email confirmation (still not yet) they'll send me a box to ship it in.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

no worries. I hope it all works out well for you :)

9. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Thanks. I'd have prefered my mother not be so fickle and just sent it in in the first place instead of buying a new one. But whatever, my current ipod is almost three years old. It'll be nice to have one with a color screen; for free, even.

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Just stating the obvious, your mom sounds like a lunatic.

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

lol, buy her a new iPod from best buy, load everything onto it, then return it before the 30 days is up. Then buy a new one, load everything up, etc, and return it. Keep doing this til you get your original back!

lmao, don't do that, that's pretty mean. And your mother is crazy.

12. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Boy do I know it. Whatever, I'm getting a free 5G 80GB iPod from this debacle. It'll replace my 20GB 4G monochrome nicely.