Definitely going with iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jreal2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jreal2 macrumors newbie

After reading numerous posts, threads, articles etc...I had to hold off purchasing the 6+ until I saw it in person. Well today I went into the store and played with both the 6 and 6+, yes the 6 fits nicely and the 6+ is huge however it is nothing like I imagined from most reviews. I compared my 5s to both of them and only the 6+ seem to literally blow the 5s out of the water, the 6 yes there was significant difference in the camera and speed, but the resolution wasn't very significant and so for me upgrading from a 5s that has been running iOS 8 all summer doesn't seem necessary (already knew this but needed to confirm it in person). The 6+ on the other hand even with the same features and slightly heavier than the 6 seems like a better option for me, the resolution is a beauty and I spent approximately 30 minutes on it. I can still text with one hand (I am 5'3, 110 lbs with baby hands), it wasn't uncomfortable at all for me maybe because I've been a one handed user since iPhone 3. And oh I love the round edges, I loved it on the 3G and didn't like the 4 design but it grew on me.
    One more thing (no pun intended), I took two identical pictures with both the 6 and 6+ and the 6+ was sharper and showed every detail on the lady's face that I took a picture of. Needless to say I am sold on the plus, now to wait 4 weeks for it while my friend gladly picked up a 6 going from a 4 that was a major upgrade for her. I'm so glad these phones weren't launched separately, I like the choices :)

Sorry for such a long post!

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Go for it. I have the 6 plus and I love this thing. Screen is awesome and so is the camera and battery life. Watching and reading on it is amazing.

3. uchosen macrumors 6502

Might want to try checking Apple's website in the mornings. Some people here have had success scoring one for in-store pickup.

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Yeah I've been thinking the people bashing it just aren't used to a phone this size or are trying to justify the 6 that they purchased instead. Either way you slice it, the 6plus is the winner in terms of everything it offers.

5. LxHunter macrumors 6502

I picked up 6+ 128GB Space Grey.
    Love it. First few pics are amazing.
    Wish you could teach me to text one handed.
    I got big hands and hard for me.
    I will have to adjust from 5S

6. jreal2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Was in there today.. They had a few for sprint but not att #

----------

I think it takes getting used to, your hands doesn't have to wrap around it. I place my 4 fingers almost in the middle of the back closer to the bottom and just stretch my thumb everywhere, the one handed feature is great too but I didn't need it as I keep my most needed apps lower. Goodluck with yours!

7. outlawarth macrumors regular

Love my 6+
    Battery at 52% at the end of the day!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411273457.295925.jpg

8. docprego, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

docprego macrumors 65816

Spent 2 hours at my local Apple store last night comparing the 2 models. Here are my thoughts and eventual decision on which to buy.

Advantages the 6+ had over the 6:

6+ screen is obviously larger but it is also higher resolution. It was noticeable to me visually but also mentally in knowing that the device is to some degree more technically current. With phone screens exceeding 1080p now, at least the 6+ is at the 1080p level.

A salesperson showed me a video he shot on his 6+ at night and there was no noise and it was completely stable. I was most definitely impressed. OIS is a significant advantage for the 6+.

The landscape features of the 6+ are new to the platform and differentiate the 6+ from the 5/5S more so than the 6 vs the 5/5S which lacks the landscape functions. For those that aren't familiar these include split pane views in Messages and Mail, and tabbed web browsing in Safari. Are there others I didn't notice? I'm sure app developers are going to have a lot of fun with this and the 6 simply will miss all of that fun.

Many reports are indicating that the 6+ has significantly better battery life than the 6. This was really important to me as I routinely charged my 5 twice a day. The salesman helping me said he got his this morning, used it all day, and was at 50% at 10 PM that evening. I have no idea if this is typical, but common sense dictates that the much larger battery in the 6+ will last longer.

Advantages the 6 had over the 6+:

The physical dimensions of the device are really just perfect to me. I absolutely loved the size of it, and the 6+ was significantly larger in comparison.

It's $100 cheaper for a device of the same capacity as the equivalent 6+ model.

My decision:

In the end I think it's fairly obvious that I chose the 6+. I absolutely loved the 6's size physically but on every other level I preferred the 6+. The factors that most greatly influenced my decision were the OIS, longer battery life, and landscape enhancements. Regardless they are both magnificent devices, I really feel like Apple hit it out of the park this year.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just curious, how many hours did you play music with the screen turned off?

10. outlawarth macrumors regular

Not much. Maybe about 30 minutes.

11. jreal2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I finally got the iPhone 6 plus and I am in love, I do have 14 days tho to decide if I want to keep it or downgrade to a 6. But so far I have no reason to return it.

12. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I upgraded from 5s to 6+ because:

a) I knew I could sell 5s for $450... Which I did. (64 GB)
    b) I wanted a bigger screen
    c) I wanted a better camera
    d) battery life
    e) OIS
    f) see a-e

13. Maggiep67 macrumors regular

Maggiep67

I got my plus yesterday. After leaving the Apple store, I got in the car and played with it for a minute. I thought "OMG, this is big, not sure I can get used to this or am gonna like it".

A couple hours later and after getting it all set up I can proudly say "I LOVE IT"!!!

Probably the best iPhone I have ever owned. Totally used to the size in less than a day. So glad I finally got mine.

Enjoy!

14. Zebesbrain macrumors newbie

6 is the sweet spot size wise for me. And I don't feel like I'm missing much at all. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your phones, but you haven't sold me on the iPhablet. Now if it had a faster cpu or more ram....

15. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

If you are still a little insecure, have you tried the test in my signature yet? :)

16. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

17. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Sure.

18. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Welcome to the Plus 'family'!

You're going to love it. :D:cool:

:apple:

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

It does, compared to the 6. The plus is pushing more pixels on the same hardware. FACT. It's like the iPad 3 all over again. Do research on it.

20. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

The 6 Plus is amazing. I don't really use my iPad anymore - just for reading articles for grad school. Everything else is now my 6 Plus.

Some people find it too big, but once you get used to it, you will soon think about how you ever managed to use a smaller device.

21. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I feel it. Yes, it's like the iPad 3. A way better chip than the iPad 3 has pushing less pixels than an iPad 3 has will be completely like the iPad 3.

22. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Then don't purchase it. Leave it for someone who doesn't think it lags.

23. Imory macrumors 6502a

FYI, the OIS is not used when you shoot video. They both have excellent cameras though and the 6+ has a slight edge in very dark settings.

24. jwill99 macrumors member

That is how I was able to get my 6 Plus. Keep checking from time to time during the day too. I noticed phones show up all thorugh the day at different stores. They don't last long. it took me a few days to luck out and grab one at my local Apple Store. Good luck.

25. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

The 6+ is such a joy to use. Best phone I've ever used.

Today someone mentioned how they hate watching videos on their iPhone because of the small screen and I was like...not this screen!

Go big or go home.