Defraging, and error check on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makaveli7, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Makaveli7 macrumors newbie

Just curious if there was a utility where it checks for errors on the hard drive? Recently, my macbook has been acting up; slow downs, and freezing. Why this happens? Not sure what so ever to be honest. What may cause this would most likely be an error, or errors that is within the hard drive. Also, just wondering if there was a defraging utility for the mac. If so, that would be great, my hard drive would most likely need a defraging:p.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

According to Apple, there is little need/benefit to defragging your hard drive in OS X. I never defrag mine.

As for checking your disk, try using fsck.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your hard disk most likely doesn't need defragging, unless you are running Windows.

To check your hard disk for errors, start "Disk Utility" in the "Utilities" folder.

4. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys! I used the Disk Utility application, and clicked on vertify disk. After it was done it's job, it gave me a line of text saying it passed; this line of text was displayed in green. So, I suppose my hard drive seems okay from the look of it? What confuses me is why my labtop would run slow, even when there are minimal applications opened.

5. giyad macrumors regular

6. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, knowing that I am new to this mac forum, can you please help me out? Post the link to the thread that talks about my situation.

7. giyad macrumors regular

Not to be an ass or anything, but I joined the forum a month before you... The search function is simple and intuitive. Either way heres the link Good luck!

8. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Maintenance 3.8 (from version tracker) will take care of all of your mac Maintenance needs. I have automated it in the past so that I never have to think about maintaining my computer. Try it out, the 1st time I ran it, I actually noticed a slight difference in performance. Check out the developers website or go straight to download.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It is not recommended to defrag. For a good utility to check your drives try Tech Tool Pro. It is a really good app. It cost $70 but is worth it.