Degoo 10TB lifetime cloud storage for $99, good option, Mac friendly?

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Had to ask about Degoo cloud storage after seeing they have a $99 10TB lifetime deal going at the moment... yes! One payment of $99 for 10TB cloud storage!!

Having read up about them they seem like a new player with limited desktop software, much better iOS app but that 10TB is the main draw card - and really it seems like they’re only a software upgrade away from being an awesome service.

Does anyone use them?

Would anyone recommend alternatives?

The lifetime plan is very appealing to me. Here is the link to the 10TB for $99 deal if anyone is interested: https://shop.mashable.com/sales/degoo-premium-lifetime-backup-plans-10tb?utm_xe2e=01wI0O36NNMZumsQNyU0JMs&utm_source=mashable.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=degoo-premium-lifetime-backup-plans-10tb&scsonar=1

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Had to ask about Degoo cloud storage after seeing they have a $99 10TB lifetime deal going at the moment
The techradar review doesn't seem to be that great:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/degoo

Where this service is weak when compared to the likes of CloudBerry or Backblaze is that the backup mode desktop utility for Windows PC and Apple Mac is remarkably primitive.

You can initiate a manual backup, or you can wait 24 hours, and it will sync again if the computer is on, but that’s not a very friendly means to secure important data.

You also can’t get back that data without installing the desktop app, as there is no web interface to the files you have secured online.

This service’s lack of a proper web interface, and fully-featured desktop applications, are major hindrances,

... it is much more memory and processor intensive, and this could impact on the usability of the computer while a backup is running.

The other major question is are there upload/download bandwidth limitations? A full 10 TB upload takes months on many other services. I am currently testing restoring a 60 GB movie file on Backblaze (the fastest service I use), and after 45 minutes they are still preparing the restore. No idea how long the actual download will take.

I'd try a test account and see how well you like it.

Update: After the restore was finally made available the download was really fast, up to 202 MB/s using the Backblaze Downloader app.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Lifetime? Yeah right.

They must have a strategy to move you on to a regular subscription after a year or two. Not that that's a bad thing. If a company is safeguarding my data, I want them to stay solvent. I also want them to have something to lose (my monthly subscription) if they mess up.

Reactions: StralyanPithecus

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What happens to your data when the company goes bankrupt and disappears in three years...?

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Yeah cheers all.

After looking at different reviews and user comments it doesn't seem like such a good deal. Really poor upload speeds for a start...