Delete photos app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mlw4411, May 9, 2015.

1. mlw4411 macrumors member

I have used the search feature and can't find the answer to my question, but I its been asked and answered I'm sorry to ask again!

Can I delete the new photos app on my macbook pro and use my old iPhoto? I need to get things moved around in iPhoto and then try the new photos app. I know I can still use iPhoto but I want to remove the new photos app so I don't have two of everything. I am having a terrible time with this new photos app, I had all my photos organized in Events then broken down into albums by date or occasion. That worked great for me and now in photos everything is out of order and the newer photos that I had yet to sort are mixed in with everything else and I can't seem to merge or add the events. I hate this new app! And at the very least I would like to go back to my iPhotos and get everything where I want it then back it up to a external hd. I would like to delete the new Photos file and when I decide to try it again start from scratch with a clean slate. Photos has duplicated so many of my photos it crazy.

2. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I don't have an answer for you but I have to agree with you regarding this app.
    What a steaming pile of crap!
    I can't get it to show the file name under the picture, can't seem to get the pictures to show with most recent being at the top of the album, hate the white background, and a lot more.
    Very dissapointed with Apple on this one; seems more like something that belongs on iOS than OS/X.
    I don't think it's adequate as an iPhoto replacement, and it's not within 50 lightyears of being as good as Aperture.
    The dumbing-down continues...

3. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

You shouldn't delete the app, you should delete the library that Photos created. I'm not sure how to do that but you can try searching again for 'delete Photos library'

Be careful not to delete your iPhoto library though!

4. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Well I suppose if you just wanted to get rid of the "Photos" library, you would just go to the Pictures folder, where the "Photos" library exists, and delete it.
    But that wouldn't delete the app itself.
    I wonder if reverting to a Time Machine backup from a time before taking the Photos app would result in a "Photos" free system?

5. Jordan1990 macrumors member

After 30 minutes use i removed it from the dock and put iphoto back in the dock. Compared to iphoto i think it sits like a pile of .... In the corner of the room.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I don't understand the several posts I've seen from users who want to "delete the Photos app".

If you don't wish to use it, just leave it alone in the Applications folder.

It's easy enough to remove the Photos icon from the dock.

Then, just go on using whatever else you wish to use.

At some point in the future, there remains a chance that Apple may modify Photos into something that will be more interesting to you...

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Siiiiiigh

For you people fighting the move from iPhoto to Photos:

Why?

We know iPhotos is dead, what's the point in hanging on until the last possible second? Just make the switch to Photos (free, I remind you), learn what it does well and figure out how to compensate for what it doesn't.

And for christ's sake, use albums if you want stuff to stay organized. C'mon.

8. designerchic1 macrumors newbie

designerchic1

9. designerchic1 macrumors newbie

designerchic1

I use Lightroom and Photoshop to catalog and manipulate my photos. Now that Photos is stuck on my Mac, I am not able to import photos into any other program, unless someone has some guidance for me. Adobe is useless too. Fuming about the new Photos program.

10. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

You mean Photos open every time you connect card to Mac?

You can choose which software opens when you insert card within Image Capture. Selection is on the left corner, it's likely Photos is selected by default but you can choose Lightroom or Photoshop if you want.

Keep in mind the selection will reset if you format the card.

If you are desperate to remove Photos its possible but I don't recommend doing so because Photos is integrated to OS X. I am not certain how removing Photos effects OS X, if you are lucky nothing bad happens. I haven't tested if this will work with El Capitan but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Photos will probably be reinstalled in future updates so this fix is likely temporary.

Follow these instructions at your own risk!

First back up to external drive, then open Terminal and paste this: sudo rm -rf /Applications/Photos.app
    Press enter, if necessary give administrator password.

11. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

That Image Capture prefs setting is one of the more obscure things Apple has ever done.
    The choice belongs in a System prefs pane, not off in some App I can only remember the name of half the time.

Apple looks to have removed the old CD/DVD prefs pane, but that had a nice way to choose which App opens when you plug something in. They should revive the pane for Cameras, USB sticks iPads, phones etc, instead of deciding to always open Photos whenever images are present on a newly plugged device.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Photos is on the list of core apps protected by SIP, so one would need to disable SIP before that Terminal command will work.

There is a list of SIP protected apps in this file.

Code:
    /System/Library/Sandbox/rootless.conf

13. robneil macrumors newbie

14. robneil macrumors newbie

Photos really is a pile of ****. I also use Lightroom and Photoshop and this stinking excuse for software (Apple Photos) keeps infesting my screen whenever I plug a camera in. I always untick the "remember this camera" box, as the f***wits at Mac say to do to stop this program from spam-opening every time, but it doesn't work. I have to close the program before I can then copy the photos direct from the camera into a folder. This works just fine, but it is a pain in the arse.
    I can't even begin to express my anger in a forum such as this that those arrogant scumbags at Apple dictate how people process their photos...may they all rot in hell.

15. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

You need to adjust the default program in Image Capture. Use bullet item 1 here: http://www.macworld.com/article/1143001/imagecapture_tricks.html or review Ebenezum's post above. You can choose whatever image processing application you want.

16. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

You can either remove Photos with the instructions in my previous post or you can use Macworld article linked by r.harris1.

Unfortunately there are two potential problems:

1. Bug in Image Capture means it won't always remember your selection for a card and as a result it might stick to opening Photos even when another software is selected. This bug is present in both Yosemite and El Capitan, it doesn't happen always so I am not certain what triggers it. I haven't been able to solve it despite trying anything I and Apple support could think of.
    2. If you format card OS X will not remember previous selection and Photos will open when card is inserted. Combine this with first problem and end result makes me pulling my hair out of desperation!

Not to mention the fact that Apple decided for some reason to include Photos as part of OS X so even if you remove it later update will likely restore it...

I have no idea what whoever designed this in Apple was thinking, my guess is that they didn't anticipate anyone using other software than Photos??? :mad:

17. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

While removing Photos from a drive is certainly possible, I'd be shocked if it doesn't magically reappear every time Apple does a minor software update to the OS. iBooks is quite good at doing this.

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

A Related Question:

I have Aperture. I'd prefer Aperture to launch when I insert a SDCard, instead of Photos. Which setting must I change to make this happen?

19. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Launch Image Capture, then put in your SD card. Phoos will probal launch then, but go back to Image Capture and, if the buttons show up at the bottom left of the App's window select connecting this devices opens: whatever you choose from the popup menu.
    That should stop Photos from opening every time, and get you where you want to be.

20. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Too bad that doesn't actually work in El Capitan. I've disabled it for all my cameras and cards in both Image Capture and Photos, and yet Photos opens a dozen times daily for me. It's a strange oversight by Apple since surely they must know many photographers and artists use Macs and Adobe image apps.

21. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Works with my camera. Haven't tried it with the SD card out of the camera. Agreed though, if what you see is the general case, that's a strange oversight.

22. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I typically upload several cards after a shoot but haven't tried putting the cards back in the camera.Often they're all video files for editing in Premiere, and the Photos apps still rears it's ugly head making me waste other 15 seconds. I sent a complaint to Apple. Hopefully it gets fixed in 10.11.2.

23. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I have reported same problem to Apple for every version since 10.10.3 was released and it hasn't still been fixed...

I would be very surprised if Apple fixes it in 10.11.2...

24. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Apple delayed release of iBooks on the Mac what, three years, so as to build up iPad market.
    This could very well be a similar situation.
    I'm just glad image capture is still around, and it still recognizes my camera.

25. kit l macrumors newbie

Exactly my situation. I want to delete "Photos" with a passion; I load many cards a day from my video cameras (4) and Photos wastes many minutes a day. Grrr.

Is there any safe way of nuking this crapware?