Delete Please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ibpod, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ibpod macrumors member

I recently sold my iphone 4 on ebay. I put in the heading that it was unlockable. I also put in the listing that it was AT&T without contract. At the moment it can’t be unlocked until update comes out. So it sold to someone out of the US. I told him to be patient and there will be one by the time he receives it and if there isn’t within a month I’d buy it back from him at the price he paid for it. He wanted a full refund. At this point I would lose about 50 dollars from paypal fees and 65 from ebay.

What are you’re guys thoughts on this...

2. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

Oh also I wasn’t aware that it couldn’t be unlocked until after the auction ended.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You have to give him the refund. You lied in your eBay listing even if you did not know it.

S-

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Umm, you basically deserve it?

Ignorance is no excuse, and you should have done your homework before even listing it.

Take your medicine and learn from it.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

Then I lose out on a 100 bucks. Just by refunding his money...

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Hmmm... Definitely not a nice situation. :( If it were me, I would buy back the phone at a loss... Only because the phone cannot do something that was promised. If I had been the one that purchased the phone, I would expect a refund.

8. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

There is no way I can lose money on the deal. If he’s willing to take the refund minus the fees I’m ok with it.

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

And how is that the buyer's fault? You flat out lied.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Sorry dude, but the right thing to do is refund it, you sold it under false argument even if you didn't know and had good intentions, buyers should not be responsible for your mistakes.

You are going to take the lost no matter, what, do it the right way, Ebay/Paypal buyer protections is going to side with the buyer and they will take the money from your account, So do the right thing and refund the full amount.

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

And once again, we see the problem highlighted with the sense of entitlement this society has.

No personal responsibility.

12. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate all the advice.

What about the deals I proposed to him. Are those not reasonable alternatives?

I mean how long could he possibly wait for a jailbreak.

Oh and he got it at a good price.

13. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

It DEFINITELY isn't right for the buyer to lose $100!

14. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I totally agree with everyone here, he deserves a full refund. Put yourself in his shoes, how would you feel?

mokeiko

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Why should he pay for your mistake? You are in the wrong here, not the buyer.

I hope you don't ask for any help here because you do not deserve to be helped....

S-

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's a question that only the buyer can answer, but he wants he money back, he is NOT being irrational, when he got the item he didn't know he needed to wait any longer than the shipping time, asking him to do so after the fact is WRONG.

17. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Finally someone is thinking as a seller. You have to look at it from both sides. Not just as the buyer.

Like I said I am willing to work with him even cut some money off the final price. I thought my alternatives were pretty reasonable.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, at this point it is a bait and switch and the buyer is getting screwed
    You didn't do your homework, you posted false information, even if it was unintentional

There are consequences to actions, and it costs when you screw up
    Man up and do the right thing

19. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

If he invokes a claim, he will be awarded a refund of full purchase price plus return shipping. Any way, you are gonna lose !

This isn't lets make a deal, it's a business transaction and the buyer is protected because you mis-advertised the item.

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, they are not reasonable alternatives! You misrepresented the product. You are in the wrong. Refund his money and learn from this experience.

S-

21. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I actually meant the person who purchased the phone off ebay...

22. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You also put it was unlockable. Unlocks don't come anywhere near as often as jailbreaks. If he bought the phone thinking it could be unlocked, he could be waiting months.

Man up, refund the buyer's money and take the loss.

23. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Did you even read the sentence you quoted ?

It said "buyer", not seller. Hello, you are the seller, not the buyer.

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

First at all, read...He meant the BUYER...not you..

Second, we all see the Two sides here.... You LIE on you listing and you want the buyer to paid $100 for it.... It is just flat out wrong.

As i siad, ebay/paypal will side with the buyer, I am not really worry about that, I am just advising you to do it the right way (voluntary), so you avoid the Paypal Penalties and the bad rep on ebay.

25. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

Trust me I did everything in my power to try and jailbreak it once I realized the issue. I do feel bad or else I wouldn’t have made the post asking. I haven’t sent the item yet. I’m waiting for his reply to see weather or not he wants to make a deal.