Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's keynote, Apple released several new apps into the App Store under their developer account. The apps are all stock iOS apps that presently come pre-installed under iOS 9.

stocks_thumb-800x360.jpg

The list includes:

- Weather
- Stocks
- Mail
- Maps
- Notes
- Voice Memos
- Watch
- Music
- FaceTime
- iTunes Store
- Calendar
- Contacts
- Videos
- Calculator
- Compass
- Tips

If you try to download an existing iOS app, the "Get" button is greyed out, indicating you already have the app. Several readers have confirmed that you can now delete these apps in iOS 10, and later redownload them from the App Store. Apple could also choose to upgrade the apps from the App Store rather than waiting for iOS updates.

Article Link: Many Preinstalled iOS Apps Such as 'Stocks' Now Deletable in iOS 10

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Looks like another step towards eventually allowing default third party apps. That would've been a big announcement today, though. Maybe iOS 11. But maybe they saved this announcement for the fall release, just incase it wasn't ready.

This could just be an easier way to update the built-in apps without having to update the entire iOS.

Kobbr

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
I think this may be a feature in 10.2/10.2

If you don't have that app installed it will ask you to install something like that app

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I wonder if that means we'll be able to set default apps. Otherwise, what happens when you click on an email address, date or address once you deleted Maps, Calendar and Mail?

They may just disable automatic linking of those when you don't have the corresponding app though. It may take another year before that new "Intents" system goes beyond Siri only.

Also, sucks that some of those apps are still not available for iPad, and sucks that Apple disabled App Store reviews for them.

astroturfme

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
This will also allow apple to independently update core features - such as mail - without having to do a full OS release.

Last edited:
Reactions: utwarreng

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I have the developer beta installed and I can delete many of the stock apps.

After playing with it some more, the apps appear to be deleted as in order to use them it makes you download them from the App Store, not re-enable them or whatever. Also, other general points, some of the new iMessage features will fail to send, like the drawings and some Emoji features. The transitions are all new and pretty cool, but appear to be a tad bit slower, obviously that should change as the beta grows.

IMG_0508.PNG

These apps can be deleted:
  • Calendar
  • Weather
  • Maps
  • Notes
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Videos
  • iBooks
  • iTunes Store
  • Home
  • FaceTime
  • Calculator
  • Podcasts
  • Watch
  • Compass
  • Tips
  • Voice Memos
  • Contacts
  • Find my Friends
  • Find my iPhone

Edit - Apple's stock apps are in the App Store as well. Oddly enough you can't review them. Perhaps because its a Beta build, but interesting nonetheless.
IMG_0509.PNG IMG_0510.PNG

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The release notes semi-confirm it, with a note that you won't be able to reinstall the FaceTime app after deleting it [Edit: On iPad/iPod].

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015

During today's keynote, Apple released several new apps into the App Store under their developer account. Curiously, the apps are all stock iOS apps that presently come pre-installed under iOS 9.

stocks_thumb-800x360.jpg

The list includes:

- Weather
- Stocks
- Mail
- Maps
- Notes
- Voice Memos
- Watch
- Music
- FaceTime
- Weather
- iTunes Store
- Calendar
- Contacts
- Videos
- Calculator
- Compass
- Tips

If you try to download an existing iOS app, the "Get" button is greyed out, indicating you already have the app. Our best guess is that in iOS 10, you will be allowed to delete stock apps and re-download them from the App Store later. Alternatively, this will allow Apple to update these apps independently of iOS updates. iOS 10 is available under developer beta today.

Article Link: Preinstalled iOS Apps Such as 'Stocks' Now Available as App Store Downloads

I am deleting every single app on that list except for Contacts. This is great news!

Reactions: 808?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
9to5mac has an article where they have found multiple Apple apps on the AppStore. This confirms their suspicions that is was for the ability to delete apps. Cool

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
But how do you reinstall them, and how does this work with Siri. Does this mean we can now change default apps, and when we say to Siri "send email..", does it use a third party app? What about for viewing photos via Siri? This raises many questions o_O

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.