Delete Rock after MyWi purchase?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lavrishevo, May 8, 2010.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Puchased MyWi for use with my iPad but I have apprehensions about leaving Rock on the phone. I was thinking about using iPhone browser to manually remove Rock. Any recommendations or thoughts?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Remove it with Cydia, along with RockExtensions (if Cydia correctly works on iPad)

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

No, this is for use on my iphone. The problem is if you try to remove Rock through Cydia it wants to remove MyWi as well.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ yes this is true but I did the same and then downloaded again (no rock) and it was fine. No need to purchase again.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

As of yesterday MyWi (no rock) was failing on download. How long ago did you download MyWi (no rock)?

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

It won't fail if you have previously downloaded and registered the ROCK version.

Buy the MyWi Rock version through the Rock Your Phone app. Make sure it registers and works. Then delete Rock through Cydia. This will also delete MyWi. (It did for me). Use Cydia to download MyWi No Rock version. It will work, as it recognizes that your device has been previously registered.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Spot on my friend spot on.

8. Zell84 macrumors member

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I did this with the trial version and it reistalled Rock onto my iPhone (3Gs Spirit JB'd on 3.1.3). Guess I'll wait till my trial is over when I fully purchase it at maybe it will let me try this. Also, when I purchase the no rock version from Cydia, I hit the restart springboard button and it just stays there I've had to do a hard reset twice now.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

For those of you struggling with this:

You have to spend $9.99 and buy a license before you can get rid of Rock App and Rock Extensions.

Which means: it doesn't work with trial mode (however you can get Rock version trial mode, test it out before you buy the license)

10. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Good clarification.

11. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I bought a copy with rock, got the licences. Then I uninstalled rock, rock extensions, and mywi. Then I reinstalled mywi (no rock) and it found my licences and has been working flawlessly.

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

13. robd54 macrumors member

perfect

I have been trying to get mywi w/out rock since the spirit JB came out and just followed these instructions perfectly! As someone else mentioned, finally clear instructions and i thank you all!

14. redflaming macrumors newbie

sign in with Rock keeps quiting

So I did spiritjb and have downloaded from cydia the mywi, if I download no rock, or rock, or cracked each time the rock app shows up anyway. So I registered with rock but have not paid the $9.99 yet, I want to try it to be sure it works before paying (I have no problem paying that small amount) but now every time I try to sign in (either from mywi or rock) the sign in window just quits. Sometimes I finish inputing my info and actually hit sign in and sometimes it wont let me finish typing and it just goes away. So I have still never seen wifi... the screen is covered by sign in and I can't get past the stage to just see if it will work. If it does work I'll be done and very happy!
    Any advise? Should I just buy it from rockyourphone.com from the computer and then when I go to my iphone will it just open and not require me to sign in? help... last step in this quest for myfi.

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I would attribute your issue to the use of "Cracked" apps as you mention in your post which is not allowed here nor commented on.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Once you try to install a cracked version of an an app, the left over preferences folders and other resources can screw up the install of the paid for version. It's stolen software Karma.

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Yup...totally agree, just tried to keep it simple though;)

18. redflaming macrumors newbie

didn't know what cracked meant

I just saw mywi and downloaded it, rock came with it, upon seeing that I deleted them and did the next one... sorry I'm not familiar with this stuff. I don't mind paying for it I just didn't know what rock or cracked meant I was looking for mywi... apparently they are all interconnected with stolen, payfor etc etc. OK now, I don't mind paying I just want it to work. Can I still fix this issue?

19. redflaming macrumors newbie

idea

can I restore the iphone, then do I need to go to spirit again or not, and then go to get mywi... and if so... then do I need to go to cydia or is there a way directly to rock? I might throw in the towel and just get a darn usb wifi!

20. redflaming macrumors newbie

will it still work

I didn't realize this was "stolen" I only knew there was a thing calle mywi and I'd like to use it. Now that my preferences are bad can I still get this working? If not I'm searching other smartphones that do this or usb connection.

21. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem. I d/l the rock version and mywi quit as I was registering. I decided to register on the rock app itself which worked than I was able to jus login into mywi without it self-quitting on me. Good luck.

22. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Why does everyone hate the Rock app?? I'm
    curious

23. pkdoyle macrumors member

iMrNiceGuy0023,
    I may be mistaken but I believe it has to do with excessive battery drain. I have read posts saying the the battery drain is greater, though I do not know if it is supposed to be the Rock app itself or the Rocked MyWi.

I was fortunate and managed to JB then get the MyWI no-Rock a day or two before Appsidy went away. It has worked flawlessly.

24. The General macrumors 601

man, i sure wish rock would just die in a fire already. there's no reason for it to exist, cydia store works fine, has google check out,paypal, etc. what rock app does is piggy back onto your phone through applications like mywi and then ruin your life. that's why everyone hates rock. no one installs it on purpose, it's like those toolbars for IE that get installed with winamp on a PC.

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Totally agree man. I didn't end up buying MyWi because of Rock. I only wanted native tethering anyway though so I ended up editing CommCenter myself with a hex editor.

Lots of people on here (including myself) have lost a lot of time trying to fix whatever Rock randomly decides to break. It forced me to restore my phone twice which is enough for me to never touch anything Rock related again. I guess it looks prettier than Cydia, but it's a steaming pile of crap under the hood.