Delete Tomtom Network Reporter from my Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strobe2010, Jan 7, 2011.

1. strobe2010 macrumors newbie

Issue

When I attempt to shut down my Mac (OSX10.6.5) I always need to force quit TomTom Network Reporter before it will close.
    I assume Network Reporter was installed when I loaded TomTom Home software.

What I have done so far

Removed Network Reporter from the auto load at start up using Perferences/Account/Login.

Looked for uninstall option in the TomTom Home application but doesn't not appear to be available.

Searched forums for this problem but no luck.

Can anyone help???

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can go into finder and search TomTom, make sure you hit the plus below the search. Where it says "Kind" you want "System Files" and change "Aren't Included" to "Included" and make sure you are searching "This Mac". Then you can delete everything.

3. mcstltan macrumors newbie

Can't Force Quit TomTom

My Mac won't let me even Force Quit the TomTom Network Reporter so I can delete it or shut down the computer. When I try to force quit, nothing happens at all. Anybody have any suggestions for that one?

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

5. mcstltan macrumors newbie

Thanks AdamRock for the quick reply, that seems to have gotten me halfway there. I was able to remove it from the applications folder, but somehow there is still a folder that shows up in my dock titled "TomTomNetworkReporter", and I can't force quit or find it in the Applications folder to delete it with AppCleaner. Really frustrating!

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Go into terminal and try this

killall TomTomNetworkReporter

7. payasoru macrumors newbie

Network Reporter

I've just had the following reply from TomTom Support about this problem which was troubling me too.

About the incident you reported us, the TomTom Network Reporter is an application and it is a background process used for the connectivity between the Mac and the Nav3 devices and it is necessary for the first connection .

This means that after the first connection this application is no longer necessary as the Mac will remember the network settings for the device and therefore can be removed.

The TomTomNetwork can be found in >FINDER> MachintoshHD>LIBRARY> STARTUPITEMS> here he will see the TomTomNetworkReporter folder> remove the folder (just drag it in the bin).

Then he should not have any more issues in turning off the Mac.

8. biLLnYe macrumors newbie

biLLnYe

oh my god, i literally joined the forum just so i could reply to this thread. THANK YOU FOR THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!! the shutdown lag on my mbp has been frustrating me since christmas. seriously. thank you.
    :apple:

p.s. - restart after moving the folder to the trash, since the trash or activity monitor wouldn't let me force quit it until i restarted

9. EmmaG1959 macrumors newbie

Another happy punter! Thanks, this has really been bugging me!

10. Gary1926, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

Gary1926 macrumors newbie

I do not know if anyone is looking at this reply, but it is not working on my Mac. I have followed all the steps as you have indicated. I receive a message I need to unlock all files, change to Read & Write in the Sharing & Permissions. Then when I attempt to drag the 6 files in the trash, here is the message:
    The operation can't be completed because you do not have permission to access to some of the items.

When I try to trash TomTomNetworkReporter, the message I get is:
    The operation can't be completed because the item "TomTomNetworkReporter" is in use.

When I go to Force Quit (indicating the programs in use... TomTomNetworkReporter is not on the list.

Here are the files that are shown in the computer:
    TomTomNetworkReporter folder
    TomTomNetworkReporter Unix E...le File
    com.tomtominter...rkerReporter.plist Document
    com.tomtominter...ReporterApp.bom Document
    com.tomtominter...ReporterApp.plist Document
    com.tomtominter...ReporterApp.bom Document second one list

All are unlocked, Read & Write
    All cannot be trashed.
    What am I missing to unlock or receive permission to trash these files! Help please.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is your account an admin account?

Try a safe mode boot and see if you can delete the files then.

12. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Reply re: TomTom Network Reporter

Hi,

Yes, the account is Admin. sole name. Tried to locate these same files in Safe Mode without luck.

Went to Accounts in SystemPreferences and I was able to uncheck the start of StartupItems/TomTomNetworkReporter.

All of the files are still as before and with the same messages that I do not access.

Once in SafeMode, what should I do next please?

Thank you for you assistance. Even TomTom didn't know why this won't go away.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Install this app iFileX to make a full system search easier. Then boot to safe mode and search for "tom-tom" to see all the files and use the app to delete them. You should get a popup asking for an admin password to delete the files.

Safe mode bypasses and startup items so should solve the issue of the files being in use when you try to delete. Once you are done just reboot to normal mode.

14. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Still There...

Thank you for your help. With iFileX in safe mode, I was able to remove three of the thirteen files. The ten that are remaining will not allow me to remove them and have this message each time I attempted to trash them:
    "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

How do I gain access, "Captain, my Captain"? I would really like to not see the TomTom files on this computer.

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Gary

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Dang... that TomTom stuff just does not want to go away does it.

Try selecting one of those in iFileX that will not delete and hit command-r to open in Finder and see if you can delete it from there.

16. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just tried and when I opened iFileX and searched for TomTom... I now have 15 files...ugh.

Tried the command-r and got the same message. Where/what is the key to gain access?

Thank you,
    Gary

----------

Add-On**** Checked the "Show Permission" area and it states "root" Group:Wheel

Does that help?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that root is the issue, but we can get around it with the sudo command in Terminal.

I am going to walk you through this for one file, then hopefully you can follow my example for the others.

Do this from safe mode boot.

Open iFileX and do your search to get the list. Now pick the first one, and hit command-t. That will open Terminal in the folder this file exists. Notice the folder name there in Terminal to the left of your user name. Now type the exact text below in Terminal, except substituting the exact tom-tom file name for where I put test123.txt. Now hit enter and you will be asked for your admin password. Enter your password then hit return and that should kill the file.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf test123.txt
    Now do another iFileX search just to make sure this worked. If it did (I think it will), select the next file and do command-t again to get a new Terminal window with that files path and repeat the Terminal command with the next file name.

Do this over and over for each file until they are all done.

Make sure you have a good backup first, because one wrong character in Terminal can break things.

Let me know how it goes. :)

18. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help, but I think I am missing something.
    Here's what I have from one of the files that I did the command - t:
    Last login: Wed Sep 24 19:28:06 on ttys000
    cd '/private/var/db/receipts'
    unknown0026b0e79808:~ garyfrank$ cd '/private/var/db/receipts'
    unknown0026b0e79808:receipts garyfrank$

Could you input the sudo rm -rf where it is supposed to go please?

This way, I can complete the task with the 10 files and one folder.

Gary

19. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

**UPDATE**
    Here's what I did: followed your path with IFileX, command T, opened first file, typed the following: sudo rm -rf unknown0026b0e79808:~
    It asked for password, I completed, here's the result... each time:
    unknown0026b0e79808:receipts garyfrank$

When I attempted to trash the file, it would not allow me. Here is the message: The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

I proceeded to follow the steps as you wanted and each time, I could not trash the files. One folder did not return and that was TomTomNetworkReporter.

So, I shut down the computer and the message: Insecure Startup Item disabled. "/Library/StartupItems/TomTomNetworkReporter" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

When I shut the computer down and did the same sudo rm -rf unknown0026b0e79808:~ it again asked for the password and gave me the same response.

Did I miss something you asked me to do?

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Gary

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In your example here, is the actual exact file name shown in iFileX "unknown0026b0e79808:~" ?? If it is and that is what you entered in Terminal, that file should be gone. It does not go to trash nor is any message displayed. That rm command just deletes it. If you repeat the iFileX search, is that file now gone?

What do you mean you can't trash them? Do you get an error message?

That TomTomNetworkReporter one is a folder and not a file.

Do this is in Terminal to kill it.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/TomTom*
    Again from safe mode.

21. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Where do I find "Code" in Terminal Program

What do you mean you can't trash them? Do you get an error message?
    When I highlight the file, I do command - T and receive The message I receive is: The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

That TomTomNetworkReporter one is a folder and not a file.

Do this is in Terminal to kill it.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/TomTom*
    Where do I type this direction in please? I was in Terminal and I do not see Code. Where is this to be found in the Terminal program please?

Again from safe mode.[/QUOTE]

22. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Thank you,
    Gary

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you launch Terminal the cursor will be sitting just to the right of the $ dollar sign. That is where you enter commands. So either type in the command, or you can just copy/paste it then hit the return key to execute the command. You should be asked for your password.

This will at least kill the TomTom startup item.

[​IMG]

24. Gary1926 macrumors newbie

Maybe this would asssit:
    Here's what I see when I hit command - T on the following file:
    com.tomtominternational.pkg.TomTomNetworkerReporterApp.plist

bplist00◊

_InstallPrefixPath_PackageFileNameXPathACLs[InstallDate_PackageIdentifier^PackageVersion_InstallProcessNameP_TomTomNetworkerReporterApp.pkg— WLibrary_K!#acl 1
    group:ABCDEFAB-CDEF-ABCD-EFAB-CDEF0000000C:everyone:12:deny:delete
    3A≤fi{wm_6com.tomtominternational.pkg.TomTomNetworkerReporterAppS3.0YInstaller+=FRfuäã¨Ø∑GKU

Hope this helps.
    Thank you,
    Gary

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't worry about those for now. They are just plist settings files that won't hurt anything.

Kill that TomTom folder with my earlier command then reboot and do an new iFileX search and tell me what's left.