Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait so you call Adobe lazy for the whole flash thing and he tellsyou to bite him? Seems like you both need to grow up. If you think this is about laziness then you've been living under a rock.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Very unprofessional to stoop to that level. He should have understood your perspective, as mis-informed as it may be, and gave you a brief explanation of some of the issues facing development in this area.

It's so unprofessional that I'm thinking that this is photoshopped, ironically it looks like a good photoshop using Adobe's software whom you're criticising :D

Maybe Yanks are more laid back to this sort of thing, but if an employee calls someone a moron they'd face the boot.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
While your comment was a bit rude, he's the one who is a manager and is EXPECTED to remain patient, respectful and professional. He failed there.

He's the one in the professional position, the OP is just a consumer.

My faith in Adobe continues to fall.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
It shouldn't matter how bad something a consumer says. This guy is the big cheese, right?

And people say Steve Jobs is rude...

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
You can see the post and John Nack's response on his website.

Very unprofessional attitude from Nack. Yet another Adobe employee that loses his temper publicly. The atmosphere must be rather tense at Adobe HQ.

edit: Spelling correction. Thanks rdowns.

Someone should verify this. It could just be an Adobe hater stirring the pot.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can see the post and John Nack's response on his website.

Very unprofessional attitude from Nack. Yet another Adobe employee that looses his temper publicly. The atmosphere must be rather tense at Adobe HQ.

Attachments

• lose loose.png
    lose loose.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 79

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Very unprofessional attitude from Nack. Yet another Adobe employee that looses his temper publicly. The atmosphere must be rather tense at Adobe HQ.

I think it's a general air of incivility. The OP feels that she/he has a right to insult other people without being bound to any rules of decorum, let alone grammar or sentence composition, just because he/she is a customer (presumably a paying customer) of Adobe's.

The blogger's response (even in the edited form -- it looks like it was modified since it was posted above) was rude, too. I don't say being rude in response to being rude is the right thing to do.

But I do have to say, that I not-infrequently on Twitter receive semi-nastygrams back from people in various agencies or software development companies if I say something about their product. I've received messages back from the local bus service many times, when I (politely, and in line with my duty as a resident and citizen) criticize them for what I see as a failure in their mission to provide high quality public transit services, or when one of the Public Radio apps incomprehensibly updated in such a way that it had to be downloaded separately from the App Store and the old version manually deleted. In these cases, the messages back weren't nasty, but rather clueless (their refutations showed they didn't understand what I was criticizing to begin with). But then, I also wasn't rude to them.

The blogging atmosphere and the feeling these talkback reply sections of web pages give people that they have some magical right to make unnecessary comments are certainly also to blame, but no one went out and invited the OP to be rude.

I think people should focus on their own ability to be civil to others. When the OP receives incivility for reasonably polite behavior, then she/he can come back and post, as far as I'm concerned.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I think people should focus on their own ability to be civil to others. When the OP receives incivility for reasonably polite behavior, then she/he can come back and post, as far as I'm concerned.

I just can't agree. Maybe it's the tech industry who think that their professionalism ends with their skillsets and doesn't extend to their behaviour and communication.

In any industry I've worked in, customer service, youth justice, law, marketing and now my own business - you take abuse weekly, some people take it daily. You're supposed to have a thick skin and deal with negativity professionally, turning the negativity into something positive if possible.

What you do as a person in your career is not what you do as a person acting in employment. None of us are saints, and we've all said a lot worse than Nack, but not in that context. It's gutter.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just can't agree. Maybe it's the tech industry who think that their professionalism ends with their skillsets and doesn't extend to their behaviour and communication.

I do see what you're saying. Nothing excuses Nack's behavior. I'm trained to be relatively unflappable when insulted, and it does happen in my line of work, and I do practice restraint. As everyone else should. I guess that I should say, simply, that notwithstanding, nothing excuses the OP's behavior, either.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
... I was just giving them the feedback they asked for.

No, you weren't.

You were taking a shot at him and his company to further your own agenda. His comment was uncouth, but warranted (and his follow-up edit was perfect; he should have lead with it: "Or rather, try not being intellectually lazy while calling people "lazy." Like most epithets, it tells us more about its user than its target.").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.