Deleted Bootcamp drive but free space never came back

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krypticos, Oct 24, 2008.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

i deleted my windows partition on my macbook but the space from deleting it is not showing back up. the drive shows that its 111.3gb but im only using 43gb and 50gb is free. how do i claim the 20 gbs of space that is lost with out reinstalling os x. i did some searching on google and did not come up with anything valuable. thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you ill try that when i get home to my system disks.

if there is another way to do it with out my system disks im all ears right now because i will not have access to my disk for like 10 hours. but if that is the only way then ill do it that way.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

reboot your Mac and startup holding "command-s". when Single User Mode has finished loading type "fsck -fy". keep on doing this until your hard drive is OK. this is the Unix way of repairing your hard drive.

5. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

well thanks for the tip with the unix thing but it did not work still missing the 20gb. well i guess ill try the disks when i get home

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You'll need to use Disk Utility again. Deleting the windows partition is not enough, because now you have the MacOS X partition (as small as before) plus lots of unused space. You also need to increase the size of the MacOS X partition, and Disk Utility lets you do that.

PS. It is a good idea to have a Time Machine backup before you start changing partitions. It is also a good idea to have a Time Machine backup if you never touch your partitions at all. :D

7. Roller macrumors 68020

How did you delete the BC partition? When I used BC Assistant, it took care of reclaiming the space, as I recall.

8. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

i did reclaim the space with disk utility and i forgot about the bootcamp assistant removing the partition i just used disk utility to make partition and remove but now lost 20gb and i dont have a drive big enough to uses with time machine