Deleted Safari from Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kokanemc, May 20, 2008.

1. kokanemc macrumors newbie

I deleted Safari from my girlfriend's G4 running Tiger and I can't get it back on the computer. She can't find her install disk, so I'm looking for another way to get the program back. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can download it directly from the Apple website – there's a Tiger compatible version up there.

3. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and after the install, it said that my MacHD did not meet the requirements.

4. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Is it still on the Trash? Sorry for the dumb suggestion, maybe its still there.

5. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha...I wish it was still there...Unfortunately no.

Is anybody familiar with the nightly builds? Can i use those to get the App back without risking the computer?

http://webkit.org/

6. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

You can still download Firefox, Opera, or any other browser and export her bookmarks into the new browser. Did you used any app to delete the application like AppZapper or did you send it to the trash and deleted the trash?

7. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

It was just sent to the trash and then emptied. I got Firefox onto the system, so we do have a browser now, however, she was kinda attached to Safari.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's probably because you don't have Safari 2.0 installed.

I suggest you get the Mac OS X Tiger DVD out and you should be able to install single applications from that.

Otherwise you could do an archive and Install (don't worry the documents won't be touched and neither will the applications).

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I think that Archive+Install is Leopard-Only.

10. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

And that is one of my problems...She can't find the Tiger DVD. Any advice on the archive and install? I have no idea how to do that one.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true. I definitely did it under Tiger.

You need the DVD I'm afraid.

You can pay to get Apple to send replacements, but it won't be free. To be honest you might as well buy Leopard which adds new features like Time Machine, and means you have an OS DVD in case you need it.

EDIT: For this there is another way download Pacifist and use that to install Safari from the disk image. And don't delete anything from the applications folder again ;).

13. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You may have to delete the Safari.pkg and the Safariupd.pkg found in /Library/Receipts/Safari.pkg or the installer will think you already have it installed. Maybe just try moving them on the Desktop, before deleting them.

14. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I just reinstall from the safari.pkg i found in the receipts?

15. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You can try that although I am not sure it will work. You may still have to move it out of that folder. Not sure because those .pkg file are a bit too small.

16. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried downloading Safari 1.2 and it didnt work. I tried installing from the safari.pkg that was in the receipts folder...didnt work. Tried the Safari 3.1.1 download on Apple Support, no luck. Any other ideas?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Download Safari 3.1.1 and use Pacifist (linked in my previous post) to install it.

18. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

There's Safari 1.0 available at this site, might be worth a try.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20. kokanemc thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Load the application and use that to load the Safari installer.

22. edgecrusher macrumors newbie

I've also deleted Safari...oops

I found this thread, but it wasn't very helpful [Mod note: Then why didn't you post there]

Anyways, I have a new 2.4 Ghz iMac, and somehow the safari icon showed up on my desktop under the mac hd icon. I figured it was just an errant shortcut, and dragged it to the trash and emptied the trash. After that, when I tried to reopen safari off the dashboard, it would not open, and a question mark appeared over the Safari icon.

I went into the hardrive, and it appears as though Safari had dissapeared from the applications file folder. I tried doing both an application only install and a full install off the provided recovery disk, neither of which restored Safari. I know that I can download Safari off the Apple website, however, I now have no browser. Any ideas for another way to get Safari back on? I could download it on my Dell at work and transfer the safari file if anyone thinks that would work. Thanks for your help in advance.

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

24. thomaschina03 macrumors newbie

Failing that, you could always do an archive and install from your OS X DVD.

One way to prevent being able to accidentally delete things of importance is to have your normal account as an normal limited account and have a separate Administrator account for those occasions when you absolutely need the extra privileges. At the very least this will mean that you will need to authenticate with username and password to delete or move anything from the common Applications directory. Also means any malicious programs you may happen to run are rather more limited in the damage they can do.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Download it at Work and transfer sounds like the best approach. You'll also probably need Pacifist which is in the other thread.