<deleted>

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stephenpperry1, Mar 14, 2016.

?

Anyone else have this issue? (try pressing gently 3cm up from the home button)

Poll closed Mar 28, 2016.
  1. Mine distorts

75.0%
  2. Mine doesn't distort

25.0%
  1. stephenpperry1, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

So to understand this correctly... You are forcibly pressing on a large LED screen and are surprised when you are able to cause an extremely minor visual distortion?

Do yourself a favor and get your money back. Every iPad, pro or otherwise will do this for you. Mine does it, and yes I am able to replicate what you are complaining about... However, it is extremely minor and unlikely to ever cause legitimate issues for me, you or anyone else while using their iPad Pro.

No technology is perfect. The iPad Pro remains one of the highest quality engineered device Apple has produced to date. If you want to find a problem you will find a problem. The trick is to enjoy and stop worrying.

3. stephenpperry1, Mar 16, 2016

stephenpperry1 thread starter macrumors newbie

stephenpperry1

4. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Might as well get your money back as I stated. You will always be able to find a problem if you are looking for one.

5. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

6. chabig macrumors 68040

It's not a fault, a problem, or a defect. That's what LCD screens do when pressure is applied.

7. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Let's get specific. Exactly how much force does it take to see that? Terms like soft and gentle are too vague. I also doubt your assertion that Apple agrees since they make and sell the thing. Obviously the design is satisfactory to them.

From here on out, all we are going to do is argue back and forth. Nothing productive will come from this thread.

9. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

10. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Lol stephenpperry. You going to get bashed as you already seeing from the first few replies. Many people here will defend Apple no matter what.

Anyhow I would suggest going to the Apple store if you have one close by. Try testing this on the display models. If it occurs on all and you can't live with this "defect" then return it. If it does not occur on all then try exchanging it again and hope for a good one.

11. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

12. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

No problem! You're welcome. Oh I missed the part where you mentioned your first one was fine but you damaged it accidentally. Atleast that kind of confirms that there are iPad pros without this issue. Hopefully it will be resolved during your appointment. Apple usually comes through in customer service.

13. chabig macrumors 68040

I have two problems with your assertions.

1) You speak as though each iPad is manufactured as a "one-off" when they are in fact made in high volume by machines to exacting specifications and standards. Variations between devices should be minuscule. Manufacturers Work hard to perfect their processes so every device functions the same.

2) Characterizing your observation as a "problem" is simply being dramatic and raises the level of discourse. You've simply observed that applying pressure to the screen causes normal LCD distortion. Resting a finger (or anything else) on a touch screen is not the way touch screens are used.

14. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

15. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

StephenPerry1 by no means was I trying to troll you. I have a 128GB LTE Pro, which has the same screen issue you are bothered with. My concern here is defects that cause an issue with real world usage vs. defects that take effort to replicate, have serious issues and or cosmetic implications that interfere with workflow.

I am use Apple products but by no means am I defending them. I have had so many issues with their products over the years, but they have have always taken responsibility for the defects and appropriately addressed them.

I do take issue with the "gate" sagas that spring up with every new product launch. "Antenna gate" "screen gate" "battery gate" etc... People start to obsess with the defect and it ruins their experience and the experiences that others have.

I wish you the absolute best in resolution, you paid a significant amount of debloons to have a product that is not living up to your expectation.

And Happy St. Patrick's Day.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Simple physics at work here guys....regardless of what Apple's PR/Customer service says to calm down a potentially neurotic client.

17. stephenpperry1, Mar 17, 2016

stephenpperry1

18. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Yea it does take considerable pressure on my Pro to gain a distortion. If yours is that easy it's time to get another replacement.

19. Kubaton, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I ordered my 128GB LTE Pro from Verizon in early February. About three weeks later, with very little usage due to my work schedule, I went to use it and noticed a yellow stripe along the bottom of the screen, while holding it in portrait orientation with the home button at the bottom. I began lightly pressing on the screen and noticed a clicking sound and screen distortion using very little pressure.

I contacted Verizon about the issue and they only give you a 14 day exchange period. They told me I could send it in for repair. Instead, I contacted Apple and got AppleCare+ coverage for it and made an appointment with a store.

By the time the day of the appointment the following week came around, the yellow stripe had faded but it was still slightly visible. I showed the Apple employee and he said he could see the stripe. He took it in the back for a couple of minutes and came back and said they would replace it under warranty. I tested the screen before leaving the store. This isn't my first iPad and the replacement's screen feels much more solid, just as my previous iPad screens had felt. There was definitely a defect with the first one.

20. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

:eek: Wow that's terrible!

21. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

Yeah, but it all worked out in the end. The replacement unit seems to be built well.